Book III Release Date

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Book III Release Date

Post by Vroqren »

Then you're not going to like this:

Sit down. We need to have a talk.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I think noname is talking about being able to download a game, copy it to a disc or memory stick and play it down the road without having to use any other software.
That is my point. I am fine with a "digital only" version of a game and most of the games I bought within the last years were legally downloaded ones. I can burn these files to a disc or store them at a memory stick or even download them again if I own the corresponding code. But what I do not like is the necessity of another software like Steam - not only because of the "online duress"!

So will there be an option to buy and download EB:III from a BasiliskGames server in avoidance of secondary software?
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Calathon wrote:So will there be an option to buy and download EB:III from a BasiliskGames server in avoidance of secondary software?
Of course. Get it from us, and it is yours forever to install on any machine as many times as you like. Buy from anywhere else, and if they go out of business you might lose your copy.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Calathon wrote:So will there be an option to buy and download EB:III from a BasiliskGames server in avoidance of secondary software?
Of course. Get it from us, and it is yours forever to install on any machine as many times as you like. Buy from anywhere else, and if they go out of business you might lose your copy.
Then I will buy it directly from you, sounds fair and square to me. :)
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:I think noname is talking about being able to download a game, copy it to a disc or memory stick and play it down the road without having to use any other software.
Sorry, I should have clarified more. I am probably the only person on this forum who has to use dial-up. No high speed possible. Book 3 will probably be in the GB range, far too big to download by the very slow dial up. It would take forever. I would only be able to download at night since I need my phone during the day. I have tried with other games. I understand BWs' policy and am not complaining , it isn't his fault. I had been looking forward to bk 3 and was disappointed. I shouldn't have expressed my disappointment in such ,perhaps, offensive terms. By the way, $19.95 is a great price.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

noname wrote: Sorry, I should have clarified more. I am probably the only person on this forum who has to use dial-up. No high speed possible. Book 3 will probably be in the GB range, far too big to download by the very slow dial up. It would take forever. I would only be able to download at night since I need my phone during the day. I have tried with other games. I understand BWs' policy and am not complaining , it isn't his fault. I had been looking forward to bk 3 and was disappointed. I shouldn't have expressed my disappointment in such ,perhaps, offensive terms. By the way, $19.95 is a great price.
I would guess Book III will probably be only slightly larger than Book II, which was ~550 MB. Still, at 5 kB/s download rate, that's around 35 hours to download the whole thing.

For a forum regular, though, I could probably be persuaded to download your copy and send it to you on physical media, though. PM me if you're interested.

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised there's no service that will let you send them URLs which they'll download, burn to DVD, and ship to you.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

noname wrote:
Sorry, I should have clarified more. I am probably the only person on this forum who has to use dial-up. No high speed possible. Book 3 will probably be in the GB range, far too big to download by the very slow dial up. It would take forever. I would only be able to download at night since I need my phone during the day. I have tried with other games. I understand BWs' policy and am not complaining , it isn't his fault. I had been looking forward to bk 3 and was disappointed. I shouldn't have expressed my disappointment in such ,perhaps, offensive terms. By the way, $19.95 is a great price.
Our orders will be going through BMT Micro now. They have an option to purchase the game and receive it on CD for $12.95 extra (above the price of the game). I know this is ridiculously expensive, but it would be a viable way to get the game mailed to you and it's far less than even one month of broadband internet.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

SpottedShroom wrote:
noname wrote: Sorry, I should have clarified more. I am probably the only person on this forum who has to use dial-up. No high speed possible. Book 3 will probably be in the GB range, far too big to download by the very slow dial up. It would take forever. I would only be able to download at night since I need my phone during the day. I have tried with other games. I understand BWs' policy and am not complaining , it isn't his fault. I had been looking forward to bk 3 and was disappointed. I shouldn't have expressed my disappointment in such ,perhaps, offensive terms. By the way, $19.95 is a great price.
I would guess Book III will probably be only slightly larger than Book II, which was ~550 MB. Still, at 5 kB/s download rate, that's around 35 hours to download the whole thing.

For a forum regular, though, I could probably be persuaded to download your copy and send it to you on physical media, though. PM me if you're interested.

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised there's no service that will let you send them URLs which they'll download, burn to DVD, and ship to you.
Thanks so much and I greatly appreciate the offer but BW has mentioned an alternative for an extra $12.95 and I have paid much more for worse games than BW ever produced. You said 5 kb/s but actually its closer to 1or2kb/s for an average. There is a telephone repeater in my area which slows transmission. So the time required would be probably over 100 hours and the ISP would only allow me to be online about 4 hours at a time. So you see it would be a big problem. Maybe DSL or Broadband will come soon. Thanks again.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
noname wrote:
Our orders will be going through BMT Micro now. They have an option to purchase the game and receive it on CD for $12.95 extra (above the price of the game). I know this is ridiculously expensive, but it would be a viable way to get the game mailed to you and it's far less than even one month of broadband internet.
Thanks BW. In the past I ordered Bks 1and2 through Plimus. Is BMT Micro the same company and how do I contact them?
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

noname wrote:You said 5 kb/s but actually its closer to 1or2kb/s for an average. There is a telephone repeater in my area which slows transmission. So the time required would be probably over 100 hours and the ISP would only allow me to be online about 4 hours at a time.
This is the saddest thing I've read in weeks :( I'm impressed you manage to contribute to the forums! I hope you have the consolation of living somewhere with gorgeous nature, at least.

Reminds me of the good old days, browsing with images off in Netscape on my 9600 baud modem.
nottorp
Initiate

Post by nottorp »

@noname: that's sad - have you considered satellite internet? There are tons of interesting indies that are not and will never be available on disks.

Personally I'll get Book 3 from GoG. Getting the game directly from the developer is nice... but then you have to keep track of all those accounts on various developers' web sites. I know I could spam BW to reget my copies of Books 1 and 2 from him, but with GoG they're just a click away and I don't need to spam anyone, so I just rebought them there on a sale.
And as opposed to Steam, their games have no copy protection scheme whatsoever. Too bad the Linux versions are missing, but I can live with that for a while.
Btw, the preorder button I've been asking about for a year is still missing on GoG. It's close enough to the launch that you can add it, don't you think? :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

nottorp wrote:Btw, the preorder button I've been asking about for a year is still missing on GoG. It's close enough to the launch that you can add it, don't you think? :)
We don't have a distribution arrangement with GoG yet for Book 3. I'm sure we will have one, but they have not contacted us and we've been too busy to contact them.
Talana
Pledge

Post by Talana »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Has a price been finalised?
US $19.95 on day 1.

The Steam version will go put online sometime after the first week, and it will be the same price, however Steam always run new games at an introductory price of 10%-25% off for the first 7 days or so.
I might not wait for the release on Steam myself , but it is a nice way to buy my friends gifts , when they have sales :) :) :)
I wear a necklace, cause I wanna know when I`m upside down ...
mercy
Apprentice

Post by mercy »

Please, please let this game be a huge financial success. I want to see, where Basilisk games goes with Unity 3D.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Yeah. If I had the funds, I would buy the game a couple hundred times just to see BG's next series.
16 more days.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests