Wish List for Book II {Compiled}

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

Yes, a section in the rulebook explaining what potions do, plus a spell list would be nice.

Also, being able to get rid of torches.

But my main requests are:

Choose of being female

and

less clicking needed to bash things

and, most importantly,

please make it work on Power Macs running OS X 10.3.9!

A minor request:

More saved game slots!

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
Maelstrom
Steward

Post by Maelstrom »

Jude wrote: Yes, a section in the rulebook explaining what potions do, plus a spell list would be nice.
I actually really liked discovering spells along the way. Made the discovery part of the game much more exciting. "Hmm, Bordertown. What scrolls are here? Lockmelt? Oh sweet!" Then later in Blackwater: "Enchant/Enkindle weapon? Hmmm... Supernova? sounds good. Nimbleness? AWESOME!"
Jude wrote: Also, being able to get rid of torches... [and] ...less clicking needed to bash things
Amen brother! Amen!

As others have said, the ability to see what a potion does similar to reading the spell description. Of course this should only work after the potion is identified.

A greater class distinction would also be nice. Maybe a stat bonus (i.e. +1 to Wisdom for healers) or lower cost to learn profession related skills (learning meditation only costs 2 SP's for mages and healers.)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

Maelstrom wrote: Amen brother! Amen!
Sister... :wink:

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
Maelstrom
Steward

Post by Maelstrom »

Jude wrote:
Maelstrom wrote: Amen brother! Amen!
Sister... :wink:

Jude
That too. :oops:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
serenetempest
Apprentice

Post by serenetempest »

I never quite figured out if this was the case in Book 1 or not, but what if your speed score determined which enemies you can outrun?
serenetempest
Apprentice

Post by serenetempest »

Also, what if when a character (including the player) becomes critically wounded (ie when your hp bar starts pulsing) you/it loses hit points the same way as if poisoned until it gets some form of healing?
Daemian Lucifer
Senior Steward

Post by Daemian Lucifer »

serenetempest wrote:Also, what if when a character (including the player) becomes critically wounded (ie when your hp bar starts pulsing) you/it loses hit points the same way as if poisoned until it gets some form of healing?
It would work better as a skill(% of inflicting a bleeding wound with a sharp weapon for every rank in the skill).
serenetempest
Apprentice

Post by serenetempest »

I'd actually been thinking more for the player - it had always seemed odd to me when I had 2/100 hit points left, but I was perfectly capable of performing any sort of physical task as long as it didn't involve taking any more damage. Having it also apply to creatures and enemies was an afterthought.
Thoht
Apprentice

Post by Thoht »

I only read through the first post, and didn't see this mentioned anywhere, so here goes.

I'd really appreciate a more minimalistic and uncluttered GUI in Book II. It's a pretty GUI as of now, even the map has an underlying texture, and compared to similar games with a similar GUI layout, it's a winner - but I really don't find it necessary to cover up about 1/3 of the screen. Make it slim and restrict it to only the lower portion of the screen. Just because it's an old-school game doesn't mean it can be innovative when it comes to userfriendliness and gameplay experience.

Here's a very hastily (and ugly, but I think it gets the point across) drawn suggestion of layout:

Personally I'd rather only have the map displayed when I chose to, bind it to a hotkey or something perhaps. Menu buttons go left, and action buttons go right (because it makes more sense that way, at least if you're righthanded).
Thoht
Apprentice

Post by Thoht »

A quickload button would be ace too, I don't see a reason as to why it shouldn't exist, since there's already one for quicksave. The menu is conveniently designed, but it's still three mouse-clicks and alot of moving around to load a game.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

I think the problem with your "uncluttered display" is that it makes the main window too rectangular, Thoht. That's Ok for a platform type game, but where you can move in all horizontal directions (and so can your enemies) you need a square (or even round?) display so you can see all round you.
morgul
Initiate

Post by morgul »

soybostero93 wrote:I've thought about two things:

¤ animated water

¤ when you get to the border, you can see a part of the next map, instead of the terrain ending suddenly.
The water is already animated, unless you want a more complex animation such as real waves, but I don't see much of a purpose in that.

I thought about your second idea but it wouldn't work too well. Because the only way the player could tell if he was on the border of the map would be to find the little dot on the minimap.

And just imagine walking straight forward on a path with trees all around you and suddenly, without warning, it just says "Loading". See what I mean?
Linuxone66
Initiate

Post by Linuxone66 »

I'd like to add my vote for making notes/reminders in the local map
Cheers
Linuxone66

Does anyone have the keys?

Linux User #375045

Yep :D
walter61939
Pledge

Post by walter61939 »

How about being able to reserve items from merchants by making a down payment ? I saved for what seemed like forever to buy some expensive stuff (e.g., assassin's ring) only to have it disappear from the merchant's inventory when I finally had the purchase price.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Wish List for Book II {Compiled}

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Iane wrote: 20] *How about finding your own Alchemy Ingredients - have sales in shops at minimum and find the rest in the wild also have slow respawn of ingredient

30]fletching/Crafting etc Armor Repair & making.
Maybe the ability to make your own torches. Wood harvested from the trees, some oil and rags..
mix oil with normal arrow = flamable arrow).
-Elemental arrows. Fire, Ice, Lightning, Poison.

41]Food/Water will definately be part of Book II, which will balance out the "free" ability to camp whenever you want. *include food/water gathered from wilderness and how about fishing
It seems to me that all of these should connect to an improved Survival skill, where the finding of food/water and basic camping are a basic element of it, but expanded abilities come by its combination with other skills in the character's development.

For instance, a character with no Alchemical skill might well see the Belladonna growing in the forest, but wouldn't know its use and so would ignore it. A character with no archery skill wouldn't have a clue about making arrows, but an archer with good Survival skill will be able to make his own arrows and save the money.

Similarly, a character with both Survival and Light Armor skill would be able to sew together decent leathers (better as each skill goes up, of course). A character with Survival and various weapon skills could find and fashion his own basic weapons (bone dagger, quarterstaff, stone axe)

Survival wouldn't be terribly helpful for tougher weapons and armor requiring a smith. Maybe you could add Smithing as a skill in Book II, so characters could make and repair heavier armor and weapons (assuming they have access to a forge, of course).

In Book I, I never found a particular use for Survival, but since you're talking about expanded weather effects and the requirement to eat and drink in Book II, I think these other adjustments would help.

On a separate tack, how about some two-handed melee weapons? Unless you're a really strong guy, wielding a claymore and a shield at the same time is tough. Also, many of the bigger axes are two-handed weapons, as are things like big war mauls. The ability to wield them while also equipped with a shield should be strength-dependent.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.