Q&A - Ask a question, Get an answer

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Ledorax
Initiate

Post by Ledorax »

gragnak wrote:Something like draconic blood in you veins (an ancient heritage awaken) = wings and tails.
Poor guy. Just imagine waking up one day with a tail. Wings wouldn't be so bad though. :)
LTRPGER
Pledge

a few questions

Post by LTRPGER »

About how long is Book I in game-play hours if one plays to the end and does a) everything possible and b) the least required to complete the game?

Will the game have difficulty settings?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Welcome, LTRPGER! Thanks for the question.

Sanctus is right. We haven't played the whole thing from start to finish yet because we are still putting together some of the late-game content. We are working to put together a game that plays approximately 30 hours for the main quest; doing all the sides quests would double the play time...plus any addition "free exploration" you might do on top of that.

Your personal mileage will vary depending on how good of an RPGer you are.
corwin
Apprentice

Post by corwin »

There have been very few postings for some time, could we have an update as to progress please!!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Sure corwin! Here's a semi-official update:

Our most recent milestone was getting the demo portion of the game finished in time for the IGF submission deadline (September 8th). Since then we’ve been working on:

* Spell system balancing...after lots of testing, a few spells were deemed “redundant” next to other spells and skills, so both realms of magic got an extensive review. Several spells were added, others removed. The new spell list is more useful now.

* Skill balancing...Hide in Shadow, Move Silently, Meditation and Survival were all improved or adjusted based on mid-to-high leveled character testing.

* We improved the blast function which handles the scattering of elements and the concussion radius of explosions. This affects any spell, item or trap that produces an explosion or requires an area or scattering effect.

* Further code optimizations done to improve load times and performance.

Heading into October and beyond we are going to continue to work on content and balancing. No promises yet on beta testing or the release date, but we are definitely getting closer! :wink: I'm sure some new screenshots could be produced in the next fews week as well...
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

BasiliskWrangler wrote: Our most recent milestone was getting the demo portion of the game finished in time for the IGF submission deadline (September 8th).
Does this imply we might be seeing a demo soon-ish?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

We answered that burning question in another thread I believe. No, the demo is part of the full version which can be unlocked, so you won't see the demo before the rest of the game is done. Sorry Gallifrey!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

We'll have more info soon. Sorry for being quiet...we're working very hard on the game right now and we just haven’t had any major news to post on the front page for awhile.

We are participating in a feature with RPG Vault which will be posted later in October, and the game has evolved enough that new screenshots should be captured and posted before too long. We’ll have these updates for everyone soon.

Food and Drink: there is food and drink in the game. Eating does give you a tiny bump in your Hit Points, but there is no requirement for you to eat. Thirst and hunger are not tracked.

Behind the scenes, the game is coming along splendidly. Thanks for your patience, everyone!
Exodus
Initiate

Post by Exodus »

As mentioned above, I think it might be a very good idea indeed to post "semi-official" updates on the primary page too.

I do have a question, though I don't know if it's been asked before and if so my apologies. However I am curious as to how many people are working on the Basilisk games team.
It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiace in the circumstance that ones intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexilogical entities.
dteowner

Post by dteowner »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:We'll have more info soon. Sorry for being quiet...we're working very hard on the game right now and we just haven’t had any major news to post on the front page for awhile.

We are participating in a feature with RPG Vault which will be posted later in October, and the game has evolved enough that new screenshots should be captured and posted before too long. We’ll have these updates for everyone soon.

Food and Drink: there is food and drink in the game. Eating does give you a tiny bump in your Hit Points, but there is no requirement for you to eat. Thirst and hunger are not tracked.

Behind the scenes, the game is coming along splendidly. Thanks for your patience, everyone!
No need to apologize--I just thought your post would be excellent cut-n-paste fodder for a minimal-time-investment update to the masses.

Food sounds like a low-grade healing potion, which is perfectly fine. I was concerned about having to eat and drink. Good call.

Keep up the good work. We all promise to be patient for at least another 4 minutes. :wink:
corwin
Apprentice

Post by corwin »

Thanks for the update guys, I've posted it at the Dot!! Please send me any further news and developments and I'll post them as well. Always happy to help out small developers. :D
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

I have a question too. What about the items you will find? Like a special magic sword for example. Will it be randomly placed or do you place it there by hand so you can find that particular sword only on that particular location?
"FUL IR"
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

It's a mixure. There are many chests, barrels and bodies that have randomized contents so you never know what you'll get (occasionally you can find some pretty rare stuff in rather common-looking chests!) but there are also tons of hand placed items and carefully hidden goodies.

All one-of-a-kind items (like quest items) are of course hand placed as well.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Manual?

Post by Saxon1974 »

What kind of manual are you guys planning?

I have always felt that a manual with lots of background story and stuff really added to the game. Those that are written as they were a character int the game were always the best I thought.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Good question...the manual will probably be just a PDF file that is packed with the install file that you can print yourself.

The manual will provide you with info about the ruleset and game functions. However, since your character begins the game with amnesia, we have chosen not to say much about the storyline or gameworld before we release it (or, outside of the game itself). Players will get to experience the gameworld for the first time along with their characters. We will reveal enough about the storyline within the demo for most players to decide for themselves if they want to buy the full version and continue the story or not.

Yes, we know this is somewhat gimmicky but we’re just trying something different.