Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Post by Saxon1974 »

Anyone going to play this game?

I loved the old RPG might and magic, but lost interest after they started making strategy based games.

I realize this game is more an action game with some RPG elements, but Im so starved for a game to play I just might get it.

Anyone have it and what do you think?
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

I've only read stuff about it. By all accounts it's basically an action RPG, albeit nice-looking and with a few neat features. But it's no RPG in the M&M form.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
screeg
Marshall

Re: Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Post by screeg »

Saxon1974 wrote:Im so starved for a game to play I just might get it.
Well, NWN2 is coming out in a week. A little bit of action, a lot more RPG than DMMM.
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Yeah, if you have a computer that can run Dark Messiah, get NWN2 instead. Guaranteed to be a lot better.

Me, I'm thinking of re-installing Arcanum. My computer can handle that!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
dteowner

Post by dteowner »

I actually started another round of Wiz8 the other day. There's old-skool goodness fer ya!
Sanctus
Marshall

Post by Sanctus »

I read about it in a magazine and from wath I know it kicks @$$
The gfx are really well done
May the sky never fall on your head
lonadar
Pledge

Post by lonadar »

My computer's 5 years old, but so out of date I can't even reliably play NWN #1! Ah well, I sit back and play Lairware's Ultima III for the time being, or Magic Online on the wife's desktop.

So, here's a question - are you at a point where we can have ANY base system requirements, like "at least a 700mhz G4" or "at least Windows XP/Mac OS X 10.4"? Anything you KNOW less than won't work? I'm getting excited about this and would like to know if I have a chance of even being able to run it.

(Hint: 500mhz G3 iBook w/512MB RAM running Mac OS X 10.3.9.)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Hey Lonadar!

We have no idea what the Mac requirements are going to be at this point. We'll talk more about the Mac version after we finish up the PC version.

The PC version should work on any decent gaming system up to 3 or 4 years old. Make sure your drivers and DirectX version are up-to-date...that makes a big difference. The only system that has been "borderline too slow" has been an entry-level Dell laptop (purchased 2005) with a 1.6ghz Celeron CPU and a very basic Intel video chipset, with 512MB RAM. Even then it played, but was too sluggish for my taste.

Remember- being a turn based game, it actually plays okay even on a slower system.
Larec
Initiate

Post by Larec »

I bought (And went through it twice) Dark Messiah, and I have to say it was worth every penny. Ran wonderfully, looked great, and had enough "RPG Lite" conventions to keep me amused.

If you ever played Arkane Studio's old "Arx Fatalis" RPG, or Ultima Underworld, then you'll feel very at-home with Dark Messiah since this game is very similar.

My only gripe is that I found the game very easy and exploitable. Fire spells and well placed kicks are almost as effective as sword swipes, if not moreso. Still, people who have problems with First Person games may find the lack of difficulty to be a GOOD thing.