Struggling to Start as a Mage

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Darsithis
Pledge

Struggling to Start as a Mage

Post by Darsithis »

I played I & II but that was when they came out, so it's been closing in on a decade at this point. I picked up 3 and decided to dust it off and try it out. I picked out mage as my class. I took 3 levels in Elemental, picked up Cartography, Lore, and Mercantile.

I have no offensive spells to start. None, not even when I re-rolled with a max 5 in elemental. As far as I can see, there is no way to make enough gold to even buy your first spell without doing at least one or two quests (I looted everything in the starting zone and came away with 118 gold out of the 240 I need) but you have no offensive spells to do the quests with. I can't see how you're supposed to do the mage challenge, either, since you start with no spells yet you can't physically attack anything.

How do you start this game as a magic-user and survive, much less complete the mage challenge? Running around with 10 roaches on my tail constantly interrupting any attempt to heal is not fun.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Struggling to Start as a Mage

Post by SpottedShroom »

Which spell you start with depends on your title - see below - and only titles whose starting skill is Elemental or Divine get starting spells at all. You can certainly beat the game without an offensive spell to start, but it would be way, way harder. I suggest trying a different build to start with Spark or Fleshboil.
  • Illusionist: Spark
  • Conjuror: Spark
  • Mystic: Divine Heal
  • Warlock/Sorceress: Spark
  • Mage / Enchantress: Spark
  • Sawbones / Pythoness: Fleshboil
  • Cleric: Divine Heal
  • Necromancer/Witch: Fleshboil
  • Theurgist / Sibyl: Fleshboil
  • Shephard / Warden: Fleshboil
Darsithis
Pledge

Post by Darsithis »

Oh that make
SpottedShroom wrote:Which spell you start with depends on your title - see below - and only titles whose starting skill is Elemental or Divine get starting spells at all. You can certainly beat the game without an offensive spell to start, but it would be way, way harder. I suggest trying a different build to start with Spark or Fleshboil.
  • Illusionist: Spark
  • Conjuror: Spark
  • Mystic: Divine Heal
  • Warlock/Sorceress: Spark
  • Mage / Enchantress: Spark
  • Sawbones / Pythoness: Fleshboil
  • Cleric: Divine Heal
  • Necromancer/Witch: Fleshboil
  • Theurgist / Sibyl: Fleshboil
  • Shephard / Warden: Fleshboil
Oh! That explains it, I was taking virtuous just...well...since it was a habit. Thanks so much!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Also, you might want to start with a point in Foraging instead of Mercantile. It gives you stuff to sell, which is helpful, but it really helps with the hunger issue if you are playing Hardcore.
Darsithis
Pledge

Post by Darsithis »

Painted Lady wrote:Also, you might want to start with a point in Foraging instead of Mercantile. It gives you stuff to sell, which is helpful, but it really helps with the hunger issue if you are playing Hardcore.
I'll hit level 2 and take that. I was wondering how I'd live with only roach legs to eat :(
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Darsithis wrote:I'll hit level 2 and take that. I was wondering how I'd live with only roach legs to eat :(
What do you have against yummy, yummy roach legs? ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

One point in repair is almost a must to save money
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Always start with full 5 points in "your chosen starter skill here". Arcane, Elemental is the best starter skill for the True Mage challenge. Surviving fights will feel pretty difficult in the beginning, but a mage will soon start snowballing out of control when they acquire more spells. Mana is often an issue, so put points into perception as you level up.