Save game error

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
donbaloo
Initiate

Save game error

Post by donbaloo »

I just got an error while trying to quick save: "ERROR SAVING THE GAME! The system encountered an error. Try saving again. Error DELDIR."

I'm about 9th level and have had no problems till just now. It occurred near the oasis in Northern Crakimir (sp?). At that time, I couldn't even save manually either. As a matter of fact, when I pulled up the save screen none of my saves were visible. The save game graphic frame was there, and the blue bar that normally highlights whichever save you're selecting, but there were no visible saves. With desperate hope I continued the quest, and returned the water to the tree.

Still couldn't quick save, but when I pulled up the save screen I tried clicking on one of the invisible lines where a save should have been and it allowed me to save. Whew! I've found that I can restore to any of my old saves (accept the quick save slot, which is still not functioning for saving or restoring) but they still are not visible. They're like ghost saves, if that makes sense.

Any suggestions? Should I fear further corruption of my saved games?
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

Check the permissions on your Eschalon saved games folder, donbaloo.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Delete the QuickSave directory (slot1) and then manually add it back in. I think that will fix your missing saved games/
donbaloo
Initiate

Post by donbaloo »

Very nice, that fixed it up BW. Thanks!!
Neried
Pledge

Re: Save game error

Post by Neried »

*bumps*

This has happened to me 3 or 4 times today, and now some of the other save game slots are also disappearing randomly.

Any reason that this could be happening?
Running Vista (unfortunatly)
BradleyUffner
Initiate

Post by BradleyUffner »

This happened to me also. Extreamly upsetting as I lost several hours of play time. I was able to get an older save game to show up after manually adding the "slot1" folder that the game somehow decided to delete. But that was the slot with my most recent save in it.
ecw
Pledge

Post by ecw »

I am receiving this error CONSTANTLY. I am only able to play for 5-10 minutes at a time. When I use Quicksave, it works sometimes but then I sometimes get this error and have to quit the game. After quitting I can see the "slot1" folder in "My Documents\Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games" but cannot delete it or even view its contents. The only solution is for me to reboot my computer, after which the "slot1" folder disappears. Then I copy one of my other save game folders and rename the copy to "slot1".

I turned off my antivirus and backup apps. Nearly nothing is running in the background.

This is unacceptable. I paid good money for this game and expect to be able to reliably play it!

Please help!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

ecw and others: is this just a Quicksave issue? What happens if you don't use Quicksave and just take the time to manually save each time?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
ecw
Pledge

Post by ecw »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:is this just a Quicksave issue? What happens if you don't use Quicksave and just take the time to manually save each time?
Good question. I will do some experiments this weekend and report back.
ecw
Pledge

Post by ecw »

The problem seems to happen when saving games repeatedly quickly. For example, when I hit F2 to do a quicksave, perform some action, and quicksave less than a second later. This almost invariably causes the issue to occur.

I have since started saving frequently to non-quicksave slots. I also intentionally wait several seconds between saves if I can. This seems to help although the problem still does occur from time to time.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Interesting. I'll look into the "saving frequently" theory.

Thank you.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
lukewarm
Pledge

Post by lukewarm »

The error happen to me when I quick-saved in the same spot, too many times, without moving. I'm running vista( :evil: ) and I can't find the saved game folder for Eschalon. It's not in my documents at all. Do any vista users know where I can find it?
Hallr
Initiate

Post by Hallr »

I am having the same problem. Savegame error ingame, and I can't find my savegame folder. Where is it? Running Vista with AVG...
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

lukewarm wrote:The error happen to me when I quick-saved in the same spot, too many times, without moving. I'm running vista( :evil: ) and I can't find the saved game folder for Eschalon. It's not in my documents at all. Do any vista users know where I can find it?
Check your Eschalon game folder.
Hallr
Initiate

Post by Hallr »

Nope, not there. Will it be fixed if I create a folder there?