Spell Casting and Wisdom and Intelligence

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Jude
Council Member

Spell Casting and Wisdom and Intelligence

Post by Jude »

How many points should I plan on putting in Wisdom or Intelligence if I want to be able to cast all available spells? I'm a bit unsure of how these stats work for spell casting. I know that Divination and Elemental skills are important to be able to cast spells at higher levels, but what exactly does Wisdom and Intelligence do concerning spellcasting other than increasing Mana points?

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

I can only speak for divination: you need a wis of 20 to read the highest level spell scrolls, and a divination of 31 to ready them at level 6. but there's a ring of wis+2, and you only need 20 when you read the spell scroll, so you get away with a wis 16 if you wear two such rings when you read it. which is cheesy, but fun :)

it should be noted that due to mana efficiency decisions by the authors, the first tier spells are all the best, though :)
Jude
Council Member

Post by Jude »

Thanks, silverkitty. That's what I needed to know.

Jude
Jude's Wondrous Universe
http://www.icubed.com/~judelk
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

as for increasing your mana points: perception perception perception. int and wis are nothing compared to perception for mana pool increase.
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Hmm, as a Magick User, I frontloaded Intelligence to get the most benefit from the spell points/level. Should I have focused on Perception instead? At 3rd level I have 30 Int, 20 Per.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Since you only need 10 Int or Wis to be able to use first tier spells, having more than 14 for the spell class at the start isn't as useful as raising perception to restore mana faster. Also it helps you find traps so you don't have to reload or heal from them.
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Perhaps I am wrong, but the bonus spell points/level from Int do not seem to be retroactive, so my intent was to start as high as possible to maximize the bonus.
silverkitty
Senior Council Member

Post by silverkitty »

here's an experiment I did by starting a bunch of throwaway characters and playing with the re-roll button:

starting stats = initial mana pool
15 int, 15 per = 45
20 int, 15 per = 50
15 int, 20 per = 55
10 int, 25 per = 60
25 int, 10 per = 45

so it looks like your initial mana pool is 2*per + int

so naturally you'd actually not start with a 10 int, but go ahead a re-roll until you got the 14 int/14 per combo, but then prefer rifter (+2 per, +1 wis) over the kessian (+2 wis, +1 int), and probably put all 15 points into per, for a start of 14 int, 31 per and an initial mana pool of 76 (and you'd only need a meditation of 7 to get per+med to 38 to get the wonderful 1 mana per 3 turns recharge rate)
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

silverkitty wrote:... but there's a ring of wis+2, and you only need 20 when you read the spell scroll, so you get away with a wis 16 if you wear two such rings when you read it. which is cheesy, but fun :)...
There's also a Priest's Cloak which gives you another Wisdom +2.

Hey, this game is really all about dressing up, isn't it? ;D
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Does anyone have a clear idea on how the magic points gained at each level are calculated?