Making money

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Jin_
Initiate

Making money

Post by Jin_ »

I'm kind of late comer to Eschalon :mrgreen: Love the game, especially I come from time of C64 and oldschool rpgs.

My current character is Rogue, and I'm wondering how to make decent money in the game? I just got to Bordertown and want to train a lot, but I hardly got enough money to stock up potions or do them by using alchemy.

I know I could reload game always when checking some barrels and chests, but that just isn't for me 8)

Is it waste of resources to pimp up some weapon or armour and then sell them?

So, any tips are welcome :)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Making money

Post by SpottedShroom »

Unlike in many games, money is not an unlimited resource in Eschalon Book I. You can grind XP if you really want to, although it's generally unnecessary. The only real way to save money is with the Mercantile skill, but I don't think it's worth the investment, and it doesn't apply to training anyway.

You should just keep adventuring and saving up your money. If you're at a point where your character's not strong enough to get through the next challenge, you might need a different build.
Jin_
Initiate

Post by Jin_ »

Yeah, i think i just have to grind more and see. I takes a lot of gold to train and constantly buy better gear.

I know I have already done some mistakes with my character, but I rather see where it goes than start again :).

My plan was to make Rogue Archer (if you can say that), with some magic. I went to Bordertown without bow skill and get it there. So I saved some points, but mistake I made I didn't take magic skill, since I've red that you can't train that, at least not in the beginning of the game.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

One thing you can do is save before opening a container, then make several saves of the items in a container until you get one that has a really nice item or lots of value.
Jin_
Initiate

Post by Jin_ »

Randomizer wrote:One thing you can do is save before opening a container, then make several saves of the items in a container until you get one that has a really nice item or lots of value.
Yeah, i guess this is easiest thing to do for starters.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Archer with some magic is the best build in Book I, so you should be fine. Keep pumping Bow skill when you level up.
Jin_
Initiate

Post by Jin_ »

Any ideas which is better to go for magic: divination or elemental? I can see a lot of benefits from divination, only thing which interests me from elemental is the predator sight spell.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Air Shield is fantastic. Predator Sight or Gravedigger's Flame will let you use a bow in the dark, but so will Cat's Eyes from Divination. I use Lock Melt with almost all of my characters. Portal and Invisibility are also good, but usually by the time you have them you don't need them much.

Lore and Divine Heal and both great, great spells. Ogre Strength, Haste, and Cure Disease are situational but can be very helpful.

Here's the spell list if you haven't already been looking at it:

viewtopic.php?t=1502
Jin_
Initiate

Post by Jin_ »

SpottedShroom wrote:Air Shield is fantastic. Predator Sight or Gravedigger's Flame will let you use a bow in the dark, but so will Cat's Eyes from Divination. I use Lock Melt with almost all of my characters. Portal and Invisibility are also good, but usually by the time you have them you don't need them much.

Lore and Divine Heal and both great, great spells. Ogre Strength, Haste, and Cure Disease are situational but can be very helpful.

Here's the spell list if you haven't already been looking at it:

viewtopic.php?t=1502
Thanks, i didn't go for magic just yet, since i need to build on my intelligence/wisdom before that. Maybe even train at Blackwater if i get there alive :lol:

EDIT:

I did :mrgreen: i trained for both divination/elemental, choosing later what direction to go. Character is coming together slowly. Next level i will bump the bow to 10 and then i'm actually starting to use it first time in the game :D. Which will bring some extra cost again.
Jin_
Initiate

Post by Jin_ »

Okay, now maybe at the middle of the game or moving closer to the end. All the problems vanished, average i have 5000 gold and alchemy ingridients which will be enough for rest of the game. I can pimp anything i want to +3 when i need to. I even started collecting heavy armor to one barrel and pimp them aswell :D. Loaded with arrows as well, i think i have over 1000 on one barrel.

My Dex is now 40 and i haven't put more to it. Bow skill around 25. I'm wondering does it help to add more. Both Element and Div magic is now at 12. My armor class is close to 50 i think with light armor.

I think that you shouldn't do any save and load if you want game to be 'fun' to the end :wink: Still i'm enjoying, but i'm wondering if there will be challenge in the end. In future i will add my skill points probably to the elemental magic and raising strength and endurance probably.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Early on in the game, the Ranger build with a bit of magic is a struggle because of the money, but late mid-game on, it's the single most powerful build. The game does become a bit of a cakewalk with it near the end. I think of that as the payoff for the early struggles.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Also, as the game progresses you will have more types of arrows available for purchase. Some of them can be fairly expensive, but they are more than worth the cost. There is not an unlimited supply of the best arrows, so don't waste them.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

You know, I've never even bothered with non-basic arrows. You can get to such a high to-hit and damage without them it hardly seems necessary. I'd rather spend the money on training or spells.
Jin_
Initiate

Post by Jin_ »

SpottedShroom wrote:You know, I've never even bothered with non-basic arrows. You can get to such a high to-hit and damage without them it hardly seems necessary. I'd rather spend the money on training or spells.
I'm carrying now few. Assassin arrow looks good, the problem is weight. If there's same weight arrows with extra features then i can understand it.

BTW: Still to this day i haven't found that thief hideout, even i briefly red walkthrough :roll:
Jin_
Initiate

Post by Jin_ »

Actually i started using Flight Arrows, they're available and same weight than normal ones.