Impressions from a long-time gamer...

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Cal
Apprentice

Impressions from a long-time gamer...

Post by Cal »

EDIT: Maybe I should've titled this, "Impressions from a wordy bastard..." :oops:

I've been playing RPG's since the days of the very first Wizardry, so I've played a lot of 'em.

I'm about 3/4's of the way through the game, and I think this game is, if not top-five, at least top-ten in my favourite games. The graphics, while not spectacular, are well done, and in my humble opinion, the person responsible for the music deserves a raise. The music for the different terrains and dungeons fit wonderfully. And it's an entertaining storyline.

There's a good variety of monsters, and there's lots of items to find which keeps the game entertaining, which is often a problem for me. I get the most fun out of developing the characters, building them up stat-wise and equipment-wise. Once I've maxed out a character, or found the best armor/weapons, often the game then gets boring, and I sometimes don't even finish. This one is still keeping me interested deep into the game. I like the miscellaneous items; what keeps it interesting is the quandary..."will I need this later in the game or not?"

A few minor nitpicks...I wish you could do something with the magic scrolls you've already learned rather than selling them, ie, using them as one-time mana-free spells right from the scroll, maybe.

A few times I finished quests before I met the person that wanted them done. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer getting the quest, then doing it...as a suggestion, lock certain dungeons or areas until the quest is accepted. This is my own preference though...

And I didn't realize until too late I couldn't put items in people's chests, then take MY OWN items out later without them thinking I was stealing. I wouldn't object to having that change for Book Two.

And sometimes I like to play simultaneous games. For example, I'll start a Fighter and a Ranger and a Cleric, and play each for about half an hour. A few more save-game slots would make that a bit easier.

I must confess, though, even if none of my nitpicks are fixed for Book Two, I still look forward to playing it! Kudos on a well-made, enjoyable game!

Oh...before I forget...I've noticed the debate about solo vs. party for Book Two...I really have no opinion, other than to say this: We were forced to pick a male character for Book One...Maybe the female gamers deserve a female character for Book Two? :P

...Hmm...a thought...then maybe for Book Three, we play the both of them together...?

EDIT: Just a few more quick points...A few things I greatly liked were the Quick Travel option...and that suddenly disappearing for the Anvil quest...nice touch, that...

...a good variety in quests, not just "Go kill X" types...

...the puzzles...I actually wish there were a few more. I like being made to think...

...the gunpowder barrels were a nice touch...except that I didn't realize what they were at first until I bashed the first one...ouch...

...and I started out on 1.04. Playing a non-buggy game was one of the biggest pluses for me.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thanks Cal! It's always awesome to hear from people who enjoy what we're doing over here.

Many of your concerns and requests are being addressed in Book II. We hope to have an official Book II announcement (with screenshots) in May.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

BTW if you upset NPCs you should be able to remedy that by casting Charm on them, Cal.
Cal
Apprentice

Post by Cal »

acoustibop wrote:BTW if you upset NPCs you should be able to remedy that by casting Charm on them, Cal.
Thanks for the tip...but my only character at the moment can only cast Charm level 1...not good enough to appease Brother Michael.

Oh well, when I need those items, he deserves a good thumping anyway...
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

He deserves it anyway, if you've done his quest... ;)
Cal
Apprentice

Post by Cal »

acoustibop wrote:He deserves it anyway, if you've done his quest... ;)
I was hoping for something to the effect of:

When you return to Aridell after delivering the letter, the town's in a dither because Brother Michael has dragged off by the authorities, with a new priest now in town...that gave cheaper healing!

Ah, well...