Quick Travel and Blackwater Vault

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Bobbot
Pledge

Quick Travel and Blackwater Vault

Post by Bobbot »

Hi,

I am around 12 hours into the game and have cleared quite a bit. Grimmhold, Dark Tower, Ossuary, Tomb, Bee Hive, Lost Husband, etc, etc but still hadn't gotten around to seeing Lilith.

I managed to get all the pieces together for entry to the vault without really knowing and went down had a look around did a few things, I'm curious and did it properly, then wrongly..then pressed the switch with no talking..which worked to my suprise and finally killed everyone too.

Anyways I decided breaking the quest line was a mistake and loaded it before the dialogue and went back upstairs, quick travelled to West Grimmhold and made my way through the forest finding the tree then eventually Lilith. As I had spoken to the shady character and explored the vault I decided to take her amulet back and see what I would get from him and the vault, bearing in mind a good hour of play had transpired and I am using a friend's game I only have two save slots because he has like six characters. 1st I saved before taking her amulet and the other after taking her amulet and heading back to the vault..talking to the innkeeper the dialogue is missing and I can no longer enter the room to access the vault....the door only goes to 9% then is invincible.

So I forgot to pull the lever on the way back out yeah but still I'd rather not have lost 12 hours for this mistake, especially as this also means the game cannot be finished which I found out by giving the guy Lilith's amulet then slaying him for it back but he didn't have it, then the innkeeper saw and died too and it tells you the game can't be finished.

Any solutions to this?
Last edited by Bobbot on June 29th, 2008, 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Quick Travel and Blackwater Vault

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Probably when you went back through to an earlier save, it was before you'd found the password you need to get into the vault. Despite the fact that YOU know it, your character doesn't. Find the bloodstained note again before talking to the inn keeper, and don't talk to the shady guy until AFTER you see what's in the vault. You'll have a chance to kill him later with nobody getting upset about it (except his three friends).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Bobbot
Pledge

Post by Bobbot »

This was not an earlier save, I went in and came out but still have that letter and that was my first thought too, guess I should have mentioned. I have the note and tried reading it again with no luck.

I was kinda hoping something like this suggestion below* would also work but I have no idea which of the files in the save relate to the blackwater area.

*from support section viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1543&hilit=vault
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Yes, I got it.

You were right (my apologies for assuming your computer might be the problem). The map file is corrupt. Go into that saved slot and delete these files:

ug_reposit.ent
ug_reposit.map
ug_reposit.opq

and then load the game and enter the repository. Should work fine.

Thanks to the map Project viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1587 I have managed to figure out which is blackwater, hopefully this will fix my problem.

Update- Unfortunately although this has reset the map and all the things in it, it has not reset the dialogues. Though this did present a rather amusing problem of having paid my gate tax but the gate being shut and it a crime to open it...I was very happy to discover how to get around this with some trickery and a new way to enter town without paying for future reference!

Managed to find a work around but it wasn't pretty and probably took just as long to do as it would have simply replaying 3 hours....and it wasn't even the problem of using quick travel I discovered it's down to this dialogue only being available once? So if you enter and leave, even by pulling the lever you cannot return, considering this I'd consider it a very big game breaker should you go there and mess up.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Bobbot,

I go in and out of the Vault all the time. Very strange that it's not giving you the password option to go back in.

You have me stumped. Maybe BW can help.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
acoustibop
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by acoustibop »

BTW if you want more than 2 games save slots, Bobbot, why not store your friend's saves somewhere else while you're playing, then replace them and store yours when you're done?
Asgard The Elder
Senior Steward

Post by Asgard The Elder »

Bobbot wrote:This was not an earlier save, I went in and came out but still have that letter and that was my first thought too, guess I should have mentioned. I have the note and tried reading it again with no luck.

I was kinda hoping something like this suggestion below* would also work but I have no idea which of the files in the save relate to the blackwater area.

*from support section viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1543&hilit=vault
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Yes, I got it.

You were right (my apologies for assuming your computer might be the problem). The map file is corrupt. Go into that saved slot and delete these files:

ug_reposit.ent
ug_reposit.map
ug_reposit.opq

and then load the game and enter the repository. Should work fine.

Thanks to the map Project viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1587 I have managed to figure out which is blackwater, hopefully this will fix my problem.

Update- Unfortunately although this has reset the map and all the things in it, it has not reset the dialogues. Though this did present a rather amusing problem of having paid my gate tax but the gate being shut and it a crime to open it...I was very happy to discover how to get around this with some trickery and a new way to enter town without paying for future reference!

Managed to find a work around but it wasn't pretty and probably took just as long to do as it would have simply replaying 3 hours....and it wasn't even the problem of using quick travel I discovered it's down to this dialogue only being available once? So if you enter and leave, even by pulling the lever you cannot return, considering this I'd consider it a very big game breaker should you go there and mess up.
What version of the game are you playing? This was a bug in the earlier versions. You may need the 1.04 patch.
The Wizard Works Wonders to Behold