Random Information (Spoilers)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Gegorty
Initiate

Random Information (Spoilers)

Post by Gegorty »

Did you know that the dying guy in Grimmhold is named Oswell?
And that your brother's name is Larrus?

And that if you kill the Vault Master in the Underground repository then you can access the porticullis behind the guards that goes into a bedroom with a chest?

Pick locking skill increases when you level up.

You CAN buy the adamantine great axe in stores.

Getting the two crypt keys to the Eversleep Crypt is possible.

NPC and monsters won't into the hidden room (The one you open with the spitoon) in Blackwater.

You can break the barrel next to the blacksmith in Aridell and you can access the backyard (I don't know why this is useful).

If you have VERY, VERY high mercantile skill (When I say VERY HIGH I mean like 30) then it is possible to buy things and then sell them for more money than you payed for it.

There is no book that teaches you throwing weapons (I think).

The guards inside Darkford are actually called Azure Guards.

You don't need Lilith to complete the game.

There are actually no Taurax in Grimmhold Maintenance level.

There is no way to get the torch inside Penelope's house in Blackwater unless you kill her.

The Gatekeepers and Guards at the gates of Blackwater and inside the Repository are surprisingly easy and give a lot of experience.

If you threaten Omar the giant leader than the giants still won't attack you.

You can complete quests that involve items (Such as the ceramic crucible quest) by viewing the merchant (If the quest ends by talking to a merchant) inventory and selling the item you have to deliver.

You can finish the Marshes of Bordan quest without even getting the quest in the first place, although you won't get money.

I think (Not sure) you can finish the game without even talking or killing Gramuk.

If you kill the Chancellor before placing the Crux of Ages on the pedestal and then after you kill him you put the Crux in the pedestal, then the Spire Guards will still be there but the Chancellor will be alive.

If you kill the 2nd Chancellor after doing above, then there will be DOUBLE the amount of Spire Guards (A challenge to all you Destroyers) but if you kill the last Spire Guard of the original batch, then the game will end.

You can get hit by a goblin bombthug and not care unless you have really bad endurance.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Re: Random Information (Spoilers)

Post by Unclever title »

The minimum skill to break the game in terms of mercantile is 26. 25 and you break even buying and selling.
Gegorty wrote:There are actually no Taurax in Grimmhold Maintenance level.
Did someone somewhere somewhen say there were?
Gegorty wrote:There is no way to get the torch inside Penelope's house in Blackwater unless you kill her.
Not true, you can get her to attack you by attacking the chest in her home which you have to break anyway to reach the torch. Once you've done that she'll chase you down if you go anywhere so you can lure her away from the wall if necessary. Heck, I lured her out of the town and then crushed her under a portcullis for kicks. :mrgreen:
Gegorty wrote:If you kill the 2nd Chancellor after doing above, then there will be DOUBLE the amount of Spire Guards (A challenge to all you Destroyers) but if you kill the last Spire Guard of the original batch, then the game will end.
I think it's actually once you defeat the same number of spire guards as show up originally I don't think it actually has to be the original soldiers, cause I tried this and every time I killed just one more guard no matter which one it was I got the destroyer ending.

As this seems to be the beginnings of a compendium of odd facts about Eschalon Book I I'll add these:

If Siam in Blackwater casts a spell he breaks the world.

You don't need to talk to the gatekeeper in the repository to get to the vaults you can just pull the lever yourself.

If you have the hp (and the patience to build up the endurance for it) you can survive a portcullis collapse.

Every creature crushed under a portcullis (Aside from yourself) yields 25 experience points upon its death, while blowing enemies up with a powder keg yields full experience, where arguably the portcullis maneuver is at least equally as challenging to accomplish if not more so. Go figure.
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

I think (Not sure) you can finish the game without even talking or killing Gramuk.
It is possible; I did it as a level 3 rogue. If you ignore Gramuk , he doesn't turn hostile until you try to pick a lock. With an enhanced lockpicking skill of 12, I had a 33% chance of success. Let me stress that I was undeservedly lucky in succeeding on the first try. Also had a lucky saving throw against Gramuk's immediate attack. Otherwise I probably would have been toast. You could improve your chances with invisibility and resistance potions, or just having a stronger PC.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Gegorty wrote:Did you know that the dying guy in Grimmhold is named Oswell?
And that your brother's name is Larrus?
I'm really curious how you found this out! (Or does it say in the dialog text, and I just never paid attention! D'oh!! :oops: )
Gegorty wrote:And that if you kill the Vault Master in the Underground repository then you can access the porticullis behind the guards that goes into a bedroom with a chest?
I wondered about that room! I am totally trying that now!
Gegorty wrote:Pick locking skill increases when you level up.
And I'm pretty sure that's not the only skill that increases with level like that.
Gegorty wrote:Getting the two crypt keys to the Eversleep Crypt is possible.
Did that!
Gegorty wrote:You can complete quests that involve items (Such as the ceramic crucible quest) by viewing the merchant (If the quest ends by talking to a merchant) inventory and selling the item you have to deliver.
That is very interesting. So that would be the Circuits book, the mithrail in the wine cellar, the ceramic crucible, the divine ore, and the acorn (and possibly Krista's locket!), correct?
Gegorty wrote:You can finish the Marshes of Bordan quest without even getting the quest in the first place, although you won't get money.
Which quest is this? I don't even recognize it...
Gegorty
Initiate

Post by Gegorty »

I'm really curious how you found this out! (Or does it say in the dialog text, and I just never paid attention! D'oh!! :oops: )
If you don't talk to the guys and kill them it will say Oswell has suffered this much damage or Larrus has suffered this much damage.
Unclever title
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Unclever title »

IJBall wrote:
Gegorty wrote:Pick locking skill increases when you level up.
And I'm pretty sure that's not the only skill that increases with level like that.
I think it has more to deal with you increasing your intelligence and/or dexterity upon leveling up than just you're leveling up itself.