Curse Avoidance and Wisdom

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Candew
Initiate

Curse Avoidance and Wisdom

Post by Candew »

From doing a search of the forum, the common consensus appears to be that with a high enough Wisdom, you can largely avoid being cursed.

How high a Wisdom is high enough to largely avoid/win a roll against being cursed?

I have 3 items that if worn together grant me +6 in Wisdom. If I start with a base of 10 with (+4) invested attribute points, that will leave me with a total of 20 Wisdom.

Would this be enough to win most rolls against being cursed?

Oh how I wish I had created a character who was an Atheist, rather than being Agnostic :roll:

P.S. I recently purchased the game after reading on Bluesnews that Book II would soon be released. I am having a great time playing Book 1 thus far and look forward to purchasing Book II in the coming weeks.

Independent developers for the win!
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Curse Avoidance and Wisdom

Post by Painted Lady »

Personally, I've never been able to get Wisdom high enough to guarantee that I won't be cursed. It helps but isn't perfect IMHO.

Your best bet is to hit hard and fast with a ranged weapon. Running away and using Haste can be helpful. Needless to say, unless you are playing an Iron Man type game, saving often is important. Wish I had more help to offer :cry:
Candew
Initiate

Post by Candew »

At this point I would be happy not being cursed 60% of the time. :mrgreen:

I am playing a pure warrior/barbarian type with no magic. Probably not the best choice on a first play through. :P

I might just restart with a new character and go the atheist route. Being cursed without Divination is a pain to say the least.

For the heck of it I will do an unscientific study on the frequency of getting cursed with a Wisdom of 10 as opposed to a Wisdom of 20.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

The first time I played the game I had just gone through a whole lot of pain to get a very special sword. So, of course, my only out was to drop it and half my clothes in order to move. That didn't work very well since the Poltergeist proceeded to kill me anyway.......
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The first time I played through I didn't get cursed until a certain place near the end. I'm pretty sure you really need wisdom above 20 to have a decent chance at avoiding a curse.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Randomizer wrote:The first time I played through I didn't get cursed until a certain place near the end. I'm pretty sure you really need wisdom above 20 to have a decent chance at avoiding a curse.
That one comes as a real shock, doesn't it?
Candew
Initiate

Post by Candew »

Randomizer wrote: I'm pretty sure you really need wisdom above 20 to have a decent chance at avoiding a curse.
From my own experience, while you will not be cursed as often with a Wisdom of 20 (as opposed to 10), it is still happens with great frequency.

Quite frankly, spend your points somewhere else (if your character does not need Wisdom).

For Book II, my pure warrior will most definitely be an Atheist to begin with.

P.S. I finished my first play through and it was really enjoyable. I am looking forward to Book II.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

If you want to kill some time, try playing as a pure Mage. It feels like a very different game indeed.