Windowed screen mode

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
Buckets
Council Member

Windowed screen mode

Post by Buckets »

My screen resolution is 1360 X 768. I can't see the top and bottom of the game in windowed mode. The bottom is hidden under the task bar. If I move the task bar away, the game text is still half cut off on the bottom so that I can't read everything. The window is so large that I can't grab the top bar to move the window. This was not an issue for Book I.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Windowed screen mode

Post by CrazyBernie »

That's because Book I was 800x600 resolution...

Book II is 1024x768, so if you take the resolution and add the window edges in, you're well over the 768 pixel height.

Nothing you can do about that except play in fullscreen mode, if you can't increase your screen resolution.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

I guess I expect 768 to mean 768, not 768 plus window edges. I expected it would fit perfectly in my resolution. Too bad I can only play in full screen mode now. :?
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Well I've never seen a game that runs at a set resolution in a 1024x768 window fit any other way... I used to have problems like that all the time when I bought my first LCD monitor and it only had a 1024x768 resolution. :(
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

One thing you can do is change the fight mode from normal through power, finesse, parry, and back to normal to force the text upwards until you can read it. That's what I have to do when I really need to see the current message.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

I am still convinced that the vertical size of the window in windowed mode is a bug. When using a resolution of x by 768, you cannot grab the top bar to move the window because it is off the page. That shouldn't happen. Even if the vertical resolution of the window is greater than 768 (which it shouldn't be), the box should display so that the top is visible with the bottom being the edge that is cut off. That is standard Windows practice as I know it from my testing experience.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

How any applications have you tested with a fixed resolution of 1024x768 on a 1024x768 monitor?

I can tell you what's happening... the game is being drawn centered to the screen. The window is drawn around the screen, so you don't see the window's border. In order to compensate, the game would have to be displayed off center by the number of pixels that the border takes up (which can be varied), unless there's some sort of command to center the screen by the window itself, which would offset the screen enough to see a portion of the top window border.

I guarantee you that the game is drawn @ 1024x768... I've taken plenty enough screenshots to verify this. As a matter of fact.... here's a screenshot... note the size of the selection box at the bottom right.

If it seems buggy, it's because this is a platform independent engine that makes some small compromises to work on multiple OSes with little to no extra programming.
Attachments
eb2windowed.JPG
eb2windowed.JPG (208.95 KiB) Viewed 5100 times