News Update: June 20, 2007

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

News Update: June 20, 2007

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

June 20, 2007
GameBanshee has just posted their interview with us regarding, what else, Eschalon: Book I. There is a new screenshot included with the article so pop over and check it out!

Direct Link: http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/e ... booki1.php
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Good interview. I've always liked Game Banshee, they seem like one of the most professional of the various independent game press sites out there.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Thank you! Is the screenshot with the spell journal the new one you were speaking about? I haven't checked all of the ones they had but they do look familier.

Great interview and some more tantilizing information on the game. :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Nice interview! I hardly cant wait any longer for the game.... *sigh*
"FUL IR"
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

Great interview, with answers to some questions I didn't even think to ask! I hope it attracts more fans and customers. Crossing my fingers for a Q3 release.

One incredibly trivial opinion, and I may be alone in this. I'm not sure I care for the repeated use of the words "damage roll" in the combat screen. I find it a little immersion-breaking. While I appreciate the underlying PnP structure, it's the essence I'm looking for, not a recreation of the accidents, like "the DM pauses to mull over the consequences of your actions".:twisted: "Damage" would be sufficient.

Having said that, I must admit that I enjoyed an indie RPG, whose name escapes me at the moment, that actually had dice roll graphics in the combat screen.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Hehehe....how about a little animation instead. Death himself...rolling the dices :D
"FUL IR"
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

[Dragonlady]: Yes, the new screenshot shows the Spell Journal and how you can select spells for casting.

[Fleisch]: If you look back through our old screenshots you'll see that we have changed the wording on combat about 10 times! :) The current methods seems to be the most logical, but it does tend to be on the "statistical side" rather than creative side. If it proves to be too annoying we'll be glad to redesign it for Book II.
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

If you look back through our old screenshots you'll see that we have changed the wording on combat about 10 times!
Ah, that explains why I don't remember being struck by it before! If we're voting (which I'm sure we're not), I like the "HIT for 7 points of damage" version the best (although that probably brings up the "1 points of damage" problem).
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Great interview...got me excited ....

Two things...

One....if the engine is working for you can I suggest you use it for all three and then move on to another for a new series? This will allow you to maximize output of the next two games and speeds up delivery;)

Two... damage roll: could it be changed to damage:

excellent read though:)
tonelab
Pledge

Post by tonelab »

I'm so glad I found out about this game! I can't wait for this to be released. I have waited so long for an RPG of this caliber to come out for the mac platform.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Very nice interview :lol:

I believe this was discussed before, but I can't recall what the thread was and im not finding it in a search.

You mention that characters will be able to be imported from book 1 into book 2 but that book 2 wont be a direct continuation from book 1.

Question; Do characters get imported at their current level? As in, they are level 14 when I finish book 1 and thus are imported to Book 2 as level 14 and can go up to level 25 in book 2? Is that how it works?

I was hoping that you had to start all over at a low level in book 2 kind of like the way the Ultima games did it. I really like the experience of building my character from the ground up in each game.

?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Honestly, it's completely undecided at this point. We want to allow character imports simply because that was a staple of classic role-playing. How we will work that in is undecided at this point. We have some ideas that we'll discuss when the time is right.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

It'd be neat if you could import your Book 1 character as an NPC. Have an encounter of some sort, say in a town or city, with the "hero" from the events of Book 1, and if the player has a Book 1 character it'll show up there, and if not there'll be a stand-in. It could have dialogue that's checked against the Origin, Axiom and Class perhaps, to give a more authentic feel.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Would be even cooler if it was a generation later and you could "age" everything from the first game....and have references to what happened in the first
Leej
Apprentice

Post by Leej »

Rune_74 wrote:Would be even cooler if it was a generation later and you could "age" everything from the first game....and have references to what happened in the first
Agreed. This would certainly give the game an Epic feel.