newb needs character build advice :P

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
greg55
Pledge

newb needs character build advice :P

Post by greg55 »

Hi everyone.

I downloaded the demo of Eschalon from Steam the other day, and played around unsuccessfully with pure magic characters before making what I called a 'monk', which seemed to be alright at first. He started with Elemental Magic, Light Armor, Unarmed Combat, Cartography and Dodge. It worked alright up through the crypt, but when I bought the full game and went into the goblin fortress, it became less effective (I actually bought and used so many health and mana potions that the merchant in the first town completely ran out).

So, I've decided I want to reroll a pure fighter character, which I'll use until I get the hang of the game and can start experimenting a bit. But for the time being, I just want to make a simple character that won't give me too many headaches. Here's what I have in mind:

Fighter character:
Swords
Unarmed (for bashing chests and doors)
Heavy Armor
Cartography for maps

My main questions are:

Is Heavy Armor that much better than light? If it isn't, light seems easier to come by and cheaper...

Are there minimum attributes I should have for such a character? For example, a minimum amount of strength that he needs to be effective.

And if anyone could add any other skills that they think would be helpful, I'd appreciate it.

I feel like I've rambled a bit, so sorry about that if I did! Any comments are welcome, thanks.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: newb needs character build advice :P

Post by Painted Lady »

Okay, you have obviously discovered that character build is really, really important to your success. I would offer a little advice. The fighter is a good idea, and swords are a good choice, although they are not the only way to go. Don't waste points on Cartography at this point because there is a quest early on that allows you to buy the skill.

I like Unarmed Combat for chest banging. You need Light Armour, because, as you noted, it is pretty much the only protection available in the beginning. Adding a point to Heavy Armour can be done whenever you choose, but the easy thing is to start with it.

I have never successfully played the game without a pretty hefty investment in Pick Locks (I've tried, but it has never worked).

You will absolutely have to have a ranged weapon, but you don't have to start with one. That skill can be purchased before it is required.

The thing about Eschalon is that you can be seduced by how nice the various skills are to own. However, the game is constructed so that the most successful builds expect you to know exactly what kind of guy you are and not stray too far afield. A fighter can eventually buff up with some Divine or Elemental Magic, but throwing points into Strength as opposed to Intelligence really pays off in the long run. Get back if you need more input - and enjoy the adventure!
greg55
Pledge

Post by greg55 »

Thanks for your reply. A couple of questions;

Is Pick Locks more effective than unarmed bashing for opening doors and chests? Because it seemed, on my first play through, that any door could be busted down with unarmed, so long as you are patient enough to whittle away at it. Is Pick Locks similar in that sense or will I encounter doors and chests that are impossible to pick due to a low skill with Pick Locks? I have no preference in an RP sense, I would just use whichever is more effective.

I was also thinking about specializing in axes to kill two birds with one stone, since I've read on the forums that they are good at breaking things. But are axes unbreakable like unarmed?

According to your advice, I'm thinking of something along these lines;

Axes (or swords and unarmed/Pick Locks)
Light Armor
Heavy Armor

And perhaps a ranged weapon, probably bow, or some other secondary skill like survival or something. Or maybe it would be better to just stay with the skills above and pump them up to begin, instead of spreading the points thin with less useful skills?

Your advice is appreciated, thanks again Painted Lady.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

In Book I, I don't believe there is any door or chest that can be picked that cannot be opened by either patient bashing or using the mage Melt Lock spell. Scroll down the forum (or click http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... f=3&t=2053) for a discussion of building successful characters of various types.

One thing to note is that Book I really gives you a lot of benefits for exploring carefully. There are many things you can find that can help you out and lots of interesting little side quests. Use trainers liberally when you get to them.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Greg - this thread may help with character build ideas. Good luck! :)

(Ah, I see Kreador already beat me to the punch! - Thanks, Kreador!! :mrgreen: )
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

IJBall wrote:Greg - this thread may help with character build ideas. Good luck! :)

(Ah, I see Kreador already beat me to the punch! - Thanks, Kreador!! :mrgreen: )
I'll let you punch the noob first, next time.

Wait, that doesn't sound right. ;-)
---

Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

No! No, no, no, Kreador! No punching the noobs!

Anyhow, Greg . . . yeah, nothing I probably could or even should add to the build threads that are available (do a forum search, of course, if the above-mentioned thread isn't satisfying -- I'm sure there're more around).

Cartography: I like to put a few points into this at the beginning, so I don't get crappy maps that I have to revise later on, after raising it again, by walking over all the territories I've already walked. Brown lines indicating structures on a white background just isnn't as satisfying as full colored maps showing grass and bare stretches and water.
What I think you did wrong:

Heavy armor. No. You won't find much heavy armor at the beginning, and what you'll find in Aridell will be too expensive. Start with a point or two in light armor, maybe a point or two in shields, you'll find one in Aridell.

Unarmed for bashing. Never tried it, but bludgeoning weapons, and I think cleaving weapons(?), are good for this. Put a point in that, but . . . if unarmed works as well (anybody give this some testing?) then, okay, 1 point into unarmed.

Come to think of it: If Unarmed works well... better that than bludgeoning or cleaving, I guess . . . since you can use it right away.

As a fighter you'll get a short sword to start with.

You asked about ranged weapons: Yes, for a fighter putting a point or two into archery is a good idea.

Spot Hidden is useful since there are places (2 or 3 in Elderhollow) where you'll find valuable items hidden within walls, which you would not otherwise find. Spot Hidden is assisted by the Perception skill.

But Spot Hidden is not crucial.

Not sure how useful Dodge is. I think that's been debatable.

And... don't worry about rambling. I do it more than anyone.

Well... actually... on that note, I take that back. :roll:
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
gago
Initiate

Post by gago »

kansascity wrote:All the time i tried and get killed when unarmed.... :( :( :(
I think you should still use a weapon skill. Only Unarmed combat - it's a challenge. :)
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

kansascity wrote:All the time i tried and get killed when unarmed.... :( :( :(
carpet cleaning Kansas City
Hmm... were you literally without arms? Or did you have arms but were using your fists?

Makes a big difference. I mean: Always make sure, when stepping into Thaermore, that you have two properly attached and properly working appendages to fight with, or cast spells with.

If not: You're probably going to die.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Blash
Pledge

Post by Blash »

Hi everybody!
I just installed this game yesterday night and I need some advices about character building.

First of all, thanks for this wonderful game, it lets me live again the good old times :mrgreen:

My idea is to be a Paladin: Swords and Shield, Divine Magic and Bow as ranged weapon.

The first problem I encountered is in the dungeons: I must open the inventory and remove the shield to be able to make some light with the torch.
So, I was wondering: can I cast the Cat's Eye spell without having the Elemental Magic skill?

Second problem I noticed is about switching weapons: I still have to remove the shield to equip the bow.
If I chose Throwing Weapons instead of Archery will I still be forced to remove the Shield from the inventory?

Third question is the following: building my first character I read that Picklock is not that useful since you can bash locks with your weapon.
This, though, can bring to its destruction.
What do you think about using a worthless weapon to bash lock instead of spending points training Unarmed Combat?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Blash wrote:Hi everybody!
I just installed this game yesterday night and I need some advices about character building.

First of all, thanks for this wonderful game, it lets me live again the good old times :mrgreen:

My idea is to be a Paladin: Swords and Shield, Divine Magic and Bow as ranged weapon.

The first problem I encountered is in the dungeons: I must open the inventory and remove the shield to be able to make some light with the torch.
So, I was wondering: can I cast the Cat's Eye spell without having the Elemental Magic skill?
If you want to cast it as a spell, then yes you have to have elemental Magic. However, you can find/buy Potions of Cat's Eye and drink those. OR, find an alchemist to train you and make your own Potions.
Second problem I noticed is about switching weapons: I still have to remove the shield to equip the bow.
If I chose Throwing Weapons instead of Archery will I still be forced to remove the Shield from the inventory?
As far as I recollect you don't have to take off a shield when throwing things as they are concidered a one weapon item. Throwing Weapons are heavier than arrows so there is that drawback.
Third question is the following: building my first character I read that Picklock is not that useful since you can bash locks with your weapon.
What do you think about using a worthless weapon to bash lock instead of spending points training Unarmed Combat?
Yes you can bash things. And using worthless weapons like a club can be used even if you have no training in them. You will have a less chance of hitting though. But you don't have to worry about a door or chest hitting you back who cares! :) If you do take unarmed combat skill just to bash things you only need one point in it to keep from harming yourself.

Be careful of traps first. One hit and kaBOOM! :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Cat's Eyes is a divine magick spell. Predator Sight which eliminates the to hit penalty in the dark is elemental magic.

While thrown weapons don't require removing a shield, there are fewer thrown weapons than arrows in the game. But there are very few monsters with range attacks so you usually have time to switch back to your shield.
Blash
Pledge

Post by Blash »

Thanks for the answers! :mrgreen:

That's true, Cat's Eye belogs to Divine Magick, so I'm ok this way already.
About the bow matter, with the "X" and "Enter" keys I'll manage to switch fast enough.

I'm gonna keep my current character without making a new one :D
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Blash wrote:Hi everybody!

Hi Blash,

Cat's Eyes is a Divination spell, so you can learn it without any problem, except that it's not a very effective spell for ranged combat in dark environments. For that you would want Predator Sight, which is an Elemental spell, or you have to find the potions (In Book I they cannot be made by the player, only found in treasure or stores).
Blash wrote:Second problem I noticed is about switching weapons: I still have to remove the shield to equip the bow.
Thrown weapons are one-handed, so no problem using them with a shield. They do weigh a lot more than arrows, so you won't want to try to fight entire battles with just thrown weapons, but they can be useful in softening your opponents as they approach, and in dealing with tricky monsters that you'll find, like goblin bomb thugs, where you DO NOT want to get hand-to-hand.
Blash wrote:Third question is the following: building my first character I read that Picklock is not that useful since you can bash locks with your weapon.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Many of us carried around a good hammer for bashing things in Book I. It's a perfectly valid choice.
---

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

My only question is why you want to put points in Shields? I think they are more trouble than they are worth, especially since you need a ranged attack. I wonder if you will go broke trying to find enough Thrown Weapons to deal with all of the long-distance attacks you will be making. Arrows are a lot cheaper, but as has already been noted, you can't use a shield when firing your bow.

The only time I used Shields I used Fire Dart as my ranged weapon to offset the penalty...............