Lost spell (Supernova...)

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Awesomeness
Pledge

Lost spell (Supernova...)

Post by Awesomeness »

I spent my life savings on the spell Supernova, and after about a day of gameplay it disappeared from my spells menu. I even have proof, because it's not in my magic menu but I still have level 1 Supernova in my quick cast thing. Is there any way to get Supernova back?
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Lost spell (Supernova...)

Post by IJBall »

Awesomeness wrote:I spent my life savings on the spell Supernova, and after about a day of gameplay it disappeared from my spells menu. I even have proof, because it's not in my magic menu but I still have level 1 Supernova in my quick cast thing. Is there any way to get Supernova back?
This was a bug with older versions of Book I (e.g. v1.00).

You need to E-mail info@basiliskgames.com (try and include as much of your purchase info that you can in the E-mail), and ask for a new download link so that you can upgrade to v1.05.

Be warned, though - it's a holiday, so give Basilisk Games up to 72 hours to get back to you. Also, I'm not sure getting the new version will "restore" your Supernova spell even from that saved game of yours, but at least it won't happen to you ever again once you upgrade to v1.05... :)
Awesomeness
Pledge

Post by Awesomeness »

You know what? I just bought Book 2 anyway, so I'm just going to use Book 2 from now on. Hopefully there won't be so many bugs.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Wait, I'm confused . . . how can you read Book I by reading Book II? :?

Anyway... sounds like you're going to have to go back to an earlier save.

Question: If this is a bug (or 'feature') of the original version, like IJ says . . . when on earth did you download it?

If it's not old: might be a bad installation; you should duplicate your saved files folder (so you can use them again after you reinstall) and then reinstall the game. Then just replace the new saved games folder with the old. Then go back to an earlier game.

You might want to try deleting the saved game file that lost the Supernova spell. My guess is you found it missing after reloading? If so: that Save file might be corrupted. If you delete it: I think Eschalon will replace it when you save again in that slot.

Never tried it myself, though. Duplicate it before you try deleting it.

Is this on Mac or Windows? Depending on which it is, I'm guessing some people on here who're more familiar with the mechanics of the software might be able to make a better guess as to what the problem is.

EDIT:
NOTE:
I've played Book 1 maybe 3 times, and I honestly don't remember any bugs. (Although others have occasionally experienced random ones . . . anyone remember the bee-spawning episode?)

EDIT #2:
Here it is, Shappie's bee problem, wonder what happened to Shappie? He posted, then took off.

FINAL:
ATTACHMENT:
Two things that Book I was lacking which would be nice for Book III to have if Book II doesn't (yes, still haven't played it yet -- waiting for the disc to arrive in the mail before I do) :

1. A debug/spawning feature, like NwN and the Spiderweb games have. In Neverwinter Nights it brings up a DOS-like prompt. In Jeff's games there's a window with a "What the hell do you want?" sort of question and a field where you type in the code. I always guessed that these were hold-over features from the Beta that were kept in so that players could tackle bugs that they found after the official release. It's a very useful feature.
2. Unlimited save slots, or at least more than 9 of them. This is also a problem with Spiderweb's games, which have only 18 slots, but at least that's twice as many as Eschalon Book 1. Unlimited save slots, of course, give the opportunity for the user to save multiple strategies and make it easier for people to bring up old saves that aren't too old, for occasions such as this particular one.

Really hope there're more save slots for Book 2, if not unlimited slots.

Also, I like it best when we're allowed to type in long names, like Baldur's Gate allows, including punctuation, so I can type in long, interesting-sounding titles. I do not like systems like The Witcher's, which will save the screen pic and an area description but will not allow you to name it, which means you're left wondering what the actual situation was at that save spot.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.