Has BW 'Upped' The Camping Enounter Frequency in v1.04?!

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
IJBall
Major
Major

Has BW 'Upped' The Camping Enounter Frequency in v1.04?!

Post by IJBall »

I thought I'd report this to see if anyone else is seeing this:

But is anyone else seeing a significantly increased frequency of 'mob' encounters while camping (e.g. for ~8 hours) in v1.04 of Book II?

It seems like it's almost back to Book I-level encounter frequencies (which is a good thing, in my book!).

But I'm seeing this most of the places I camp (even in my house/cabin!).

So, is anyone else seeing this? Or is this some weird "random chance" effect, and I'm just seeing more camping 'encounters' during my current game by pure random chance?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Has BW 'Upped' The Camping Enounter Frequency in v1.04?!

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I'd been seeing plenty of random encounters in 1.03 and still am in 1.04. I think people reporting a lack of encounters may have been camping more in "safe" places like anywhere on the Port K map (even outside the city walls is safe, there). When I need to make money foraging, that's where I go. Usually either by the northeast gate or by the docks, so it's reasonably easy to walk to a shop to sell the stuff.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
The Muffinator
Pledge

Post by The Muffinator »

Saw this posted somewhere else, but thought it worth repeating in this thread as I use it successfully to go play "Camping for Dollars".

[*** spoiler alert for newbies who haven't made it to Port Kudaad yet!]

Assuming you've got a couple levels under your belt, you've seen the stairways in Port Kudaad leading to the 2nd floor of the buildings. Once you figure out how to get to those second floors, here's an EASY place to camp for cash right near Becka's alchemy shop. No enemy spawns, very quick walk to sell the goods to both Becka and Mama Fanny.

See attached pix.
Attachments
step1.jpeg
step1.jpeg (97.96 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
step2.jpeg
step2.jpeg (43.33 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
step3.jpeg
step3.jpeg (31.71 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
-The Muffinator
"Ain't never met a muffin that could get the best of me.
lexantis
Initiate

Post by lexantis »

hmm this is very interesting, but how much foraging (or sleeping hours) do i need to be actually $$$ prosperous ?
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

lexantis wrote:hmm this is very interesting, but how much foraging (or sleeping hours) do i need to be actually $$$ prosperous ?
Many.
lexantis
Initiate

Post by lexantis »

I mean how much skill points spent in foraging, i have 8 and its actually pretty good yet
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

lexantis wrote:I mean how much skill points spent in foraging, i have 8 and its actually pretty good yet
You don't have to spend any skill points. After you buy 8 ranks, you can get two more from a book and wear two +2 foraging rings every time you camp. That's plenty.
lexantis
Initiate

Post by lexantis »

Turtle wrote:
lexantis wrote:I mean how much skill points spent in foraging, i have 8 and its actually pretty good yet
You don't have to spend any skill points. After you buy 8 ranks, you can get two more from a book and wear two +2 foraging rings every time you camp. That's plenty.
yay, that i already know, and wish i knew it a little bit earlier, but its ok (it will only cost me more $), i bought 4 skills, read book so +2, then have one ring, and i think i could spend one or two skill points there, but still... that didnt answer my original question, at what point is it beginning to be really good deal?
Rebelicious
Steward

Post by Rebelicious »

Oh, sorry. Well, then, not very much. 8 is plenty. If you can find a book, you can push that up to 10.

Unless you feel like making a real forager, that's really all you need. Other than that, you can get +4 from two +2 Foraging rings. I wouldn't bother, myself, but be well aware that there's not really any circumstance where you'll benefit from more than 14 foraging.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

At 14 you get 8 reagents in 8 hours of rest, and a high probability of them being top-tier reagents like Auricflax or Ectoplasm or Toadis Pollen. Add in a few levels of mercantile (and the Dealer's Hat) to up your return and you can make a few thousand gold in a few days' camping.
---

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

The Muffinator wrote:Assuming you've got a couple levels under your belt, you've seen the stairways in Port Kudaad leading to the 2nd floor of the buildings. Once you figure out how to get to those second floors, here's an EASY place to camp for cash right near Becka's alchemy shop. No enemy spawns, very quick walk to sell the goods to both Becka and Mama Fanny.

See attached pix.
Yeah, I use the trick as well - any of the rooms in "level 2" of Port K. will do the trick nicely. I use 'em all the time. :mrgreen:
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Safe places aren't an issue for me. I can't seem to get any mobs though. I usually wait for 40 turns of the hourglass, but nothing bites.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Rowanas wrote:Safe places aren't an issue for me. I can't seem to get any mobs though. I usually wait for 40 turns of the hourglass, but nothing bites.
Really? I can hardly make it through a night outside the Farrock caves without either some wolves or some Outlanders interrupting my beauty rest. Even right in my own back yard I get woken up by something about once every 20 hours of rest.
---

Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

I envy you, sir.