Max level??

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
DemonWizard
Initiate

Max level??

Post by DemonWizard »

whats the highest level you can get to in this game? and how many skills can you have as many as you want?
Rollor
Marshall

Re: Max level??

Post by Rollor »

The Wrangler wrote:There has never been a proposed level cap, but technically level 100 is as high as we currently track progression within the ruleset. There's no reason that we couldn’t take that higher if we wanted/needed to.

Based on the exponential curve that experience points and character level sits on, it will be extremely challenging to hit the 100th level mark. Level 100 nears God-like abilities and I doubt even over 3 separate games you would quite reach it. Since end-game content is still being added we don't quite know yet what level you will finish Book I at.
A 1 year old post, don't think it has changed much :)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thanks Rollor...and sorry to overlook this thread, DemonWizard. Actually, that information has changed a bit based on the continual evolution of the game engine up to this point.

In Book I we have attainable levels up to 21 (think of it as a leveling system akin to D&D, not WoW). The highest I've ever seen a tester achieve is level 17 by the end of the game, which is very powerful.

Our RPG system does have rules to take players as high as level 50, but after level 21 you enter the Champion Levels and begin your path towards immortality. Levels 22-50 are way beyond the scope of Book I, but they will be addressed in a future game. At some point after Book I ships I will post a level chart showing the path a player can take in upcoming games.
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

That means that book 2 will begin just where book 1 finished, with the same character ? If so, good (although it may be a bit more difficult for a newcomer who hasn't played book 1 before).
Nice to see that the 3 games have been carefully planned right from the start.
Just a question : how will you do for the magic items ? Will items of book 2 be really stronger than those of book 1, or does the hero begins book 2 with no items for some reason ?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

While the story arc for all three games is solid, I really have put almost no thought into the technical aspect character transfers.

One of the problems it that the scope of Book II is so much bigger than Book I. Everything is going to be a huge step forward as the RPG system is pushed to the next level. Because of this, a lot of things will break going from Book I to Book II, so I don't know how much of your character you can take with you into the next game. Let's talk more about it in a few months...
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

I vote for making players start over and building their characters again from scratch in book II. But maybe make the level cap higher? I like how the Ultima's game did this where they had you start over but continued the story from game to game.

I never really like high levels, might be because of the game balancing issues....seems like gold and magic is too easy to come by and combat is too easy etc.....I really get the most joy out of building characters from scratch.
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

Saxon1974 wrote:I vote for making players start over and building their characters again from scratch in book II.
Hear, hear! My vote goes for this as well.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Hmm if Book 2 is party-based...why not make a return of your character of book 1. Maybe our Hero have to find some friends to help him in his further quests. Could be interesting to work something out here.
"FUL IR"
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

I'd prefer to continue with my old character.
Like in old pcRpgs.

My 2 cents.
furor vincit omnia
DemonWizard
Initiate

Post by DemonWizard »

why not have the choice to make a new char or import your old char from book 1.
focus
Apprentice

Post by focus »

If it makes sense in terms of the storyline I would like to be able to transfer my character from Book 1. To me if I can transfer my character it feels like I am a playing a continuation of the same game rather than a sequel in the same world.

Obviously, as I said it depends on story, for example, it made sense to transfer the character in BG1 to BG2 but would have made little sense in say KOTOR + KOTOR II.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

Sure it have to be Story-driven. I would like to see my beloved character makes his return in Book 2. That would give the whole thing a true epic feeling.
"FUL IR"