Character creation screen not recognizing my mouse clicks

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
elkston
Apprentice

Character creation screen not recognizing my mouse clicks

Post by elkston »

First of all, congrats on getting this out the door!

I just downloaded & installed it, but am having an odd problem on the character creation screen: It won't respond to mouse clicks -- left or right button.

I can hover over the various items and see the help text occur in the info box at the bottom of the screen. I can also click into the box where you enter your name and am able to type text. But I cannot click on the dice to re-roll, the arrows to modify stats, or any of the options that require a mouse click.

Oddly enough, if I choose the option to start with a predefined character by pressing the appropriate function key, the game starts up the and the LMB clicks do work at that point.

Am I just stupid and have missed something obvious? My mouse is working fine as I can go to other applications and the windows explorer and click away with no problems.

Running Windows XP, SP2 / Directx chosen as renderer and 32-bit graphics.

EDIT: One thing to note that may help --- when the mouse is over the dice to reroll, the icon is a "?" instead of just a pointer. Am I stuck in some help mode?
Last edited by elkston on November 19th, 2007, 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psilon
Initiate

Post by Psilon »

Same exact problem here, right down to the permanent help mode.

My OS is Windows 2003 SP1. Changing renderer from DirectX to OpenGL doesn't help, and neither does the windowed/fullscreen switch. Windows XP compatibility modes do nothing.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

No, you're not in permanent help mode...the cursor just turns to a "?" when there is information to be read below.

Hmm...really not sure what this issue could be. I will start investigating the problem on my end immediately. Are you guys using any kind of unique mouse that require special drivers?

[edit] You say you have no issues with mouse clicks in the game itself? What happens if you hold the mouse button down in the character editor for a full second, or double-click it quickly? Anything?
Last edited by BasiliskWrangler on November 19th, 2007, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psilon
Initiate

Post by Psilon »

I can't speak for elkston, but I'm using a Logitech MX518 without any drivers installed--it's a standard 5-button HID wheel mouse ("HID-compliant mouse") as far as Windows is concerned.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Psilon, I've got almost the exact same mouse, and I do not use any drivers either. Very, very odd. I apologize because I know how frustrating this is.

I'm still looking...
elkston
Apprentice

Post by elkston »

I am using a Logitech MX-??? Wireless Laser Mouse. I forgot the exact model number. The wireless receiver is plugged into a USB port. I am using the standard Windows XP drivers for the device. I did not need to install any special ones although the mouse did come with a driver CD.

The specific generic drivers that Windows XP uses for my mouse are "HID-Compliant mouse" (human interface device) and "PS/2 Compatible Mouse".

I have tried using mouse clicks of various durations on the Char. Creation screen and it still doesn't register.

EDIT: Another thing to note. If I hit "ESC" from the char. creation screen the confirmation dialog DOES recognize my mouse click and I am able to return to the main menu. Also, my mouse click is recognized right after the application starts because I use it to skip over the title screen. It just seems to stop working specifically on that char. creation screen.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Okay, I'm so sorry you guys are experiencing problems.

I am having someone else look over the code, and I am waiting on a response from the people who made the programming language used on the game for possible solutions. I may have to send a new executable to you guys to try out with some revised mouse code.

Until then, try different sensitivity settings on your mouse, and check your Windows mouse settings. Do you have another old mouse laying around? If so, plug it in and see if that makes a difference.
Asharak
Apprentice

Post by Asharak »

I encountered this problem when I first tried the game last night, and found a really simple solution - restarting my computer. Seriously. No guarantees it'll work for anyone else, but it solved my problem merrily (FWIW, I did not restart my computer after installing the game itself).

- Ash
elkston
Apprentice

Post by elkston »

Asharak wrote:I encountered this problem when I first tried the game last night, and found a really simple solution - restarting my computer. Seriously. No guarantees it'll work for anyone else, but it solved my problem merrily (FWIW, I did not restart my computer after installing the game itself).

- Ash
I had considered trying this, but last night I didn't want to restart at the moment because I had other programs running.

I will try it later on .. will prob. fix the issue. My machine has been up for quite a while.

EDIT: OK, I can confirm that this worked. Another difference I noticed now that things are working is that the a feather shows up in the name box of the char. creation screen. Before I never saw that feather drawn so maybe that can give the devs. an idea about where things can potentially go wrong on this screen.

So just confirming that in my case, rebooting the machine fixed this problem.

I'd be curious to know if the other poster who had the problem had a very long uptime on his machine (mine has been up for more than 2 weeks). This might just be some Windows resource glitch.
Psilon
Initiate

Post by Psilon »

Could very well be. I rebooted last night, tried this morning, and it worked. My uptime had been two months on this machine.

Also, yes, the blinking feather is new.