game crashes at Launch Menu start-up

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
skyway
Pledge

game crashes at Launch Menu start-up

Post by skyway »

hi. as I take it game is using directX renderer in windows by default?
my problem is that that I currently running xp in a software mode (actually it's more like OpenGL 1.1) so game crashes in launch menu (nothing but a black launch-menu window appears and quickly disappears without any errors).
I also noticed that the game has no .cfg/.ini/etc files. so how can I make it to run in an OpenGL mode without running the game itself for setting this (a command-line parameter maybe?)

edit> can anyone please give me eschalon.cfg file? I will know what to do with it ;)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

The config file is eschalon.cfg in your "My Documents" folder, however it may not be there if the game can't launch (it is created upon first start up).

However, if it is there, you can open it with a text editor and make changes.

The game requires an accelerated graphics card, and I wonder if your problem is that the graphics for the launch menu can't initialize while you are in software mode. Updating your drivers fixes a whole heap of problems, so I recommend starting there.
skyway
Pledge

Post by skyway »

yes I know. the thing is I currently can't run games with an acceleration due to the broken videocard, but I had the very same problem with f.e. Arcanum as well as some other games - but I bypassed it by setting them into an OpenGL mode (even 3D ones, like HL f.e.) because software drivers of winXP are actually having OpenGL support (1.1 or 1.2 - can't remember). considering you have an OpenGL mode - everything may work just fine.

So all that I need is a random echalon.cfg file to experiment with. if it won't help then I will wait till my vcard will be fixed and will bother you no more.
Keratardon
Initiate

Post by Keratardon »

Hi.

This is my eschalon.cfg:
; Renderer - [1] DirectX, [2] OpenGL
; Color Depth - [16] 16-bit, [32] 32-bit
; Screen Mode - [1] Full-screen, [2] Windowed
; Screen Refresh Rate (Hz) -- 60Hz is recommended for best performace!

i hope this helps.
skyway
Pledge

Post by skyway »

thanks. it worked for the launch menu and the intro but after that - failure again.
guess will play eschalon ...later :/