Dark Disciples II

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
quasimodo
Marshall

Dark Disciples II

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.dodgysoft.com/

I've been playing this game for a few days and is the best freeware game I have ever played. It is bigger and better than some indie games I have actually paid for.

The graphics are simple and without any animation, but the starting town is quite large with lots of quests. The puzzles are the best I have seen in ANY RPG. The combat is simple...much like Eschalon Book 1. The game is not generous with stat and skill points so you have to specialize your character. I am playing a standard melee fighter. Thief and mage characters are possible, but I haven't tried them yet.

The game has a lot of features one would not expect from a free game such as decent music, a journal which tracks quests, and a map which allows one to make notes.
Salid
Initiate

Re: Dark Disciples II

Post by Salid »

Ah, another Disciple! Let us join forces :wink:

Seriously - while we are all waiting for Book III, I can only recommend trying this one as well. I mean, it's free, and indeed has more quality to it than quite some games other people ask money for. Currently I'm playing through the custom campaign some other guy has created...

... @Basiliskgames: If you are actually going to include an editor in Book III, I think you could do worse than take a look at this one. Its editor is easy to use and boasts a huge number of pre-made events, which makes building your own levels that much easier as much of otherwise necessary scripting has been done already!

@quasimodo: Try a Willpower-based character with Prayer and Curse skills. This has quite a bit more flexibility than the simple warrior!
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try after I finish my current solo run through BGtutu.
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

well , since it's free then what the hell
i'll try it for sure
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

I cant seem to get it downloaded. It canceled itself yesterday and today it stalls out at 2.9mb

edit--canceled itself again after being stalled at 2.9mb. did anyone else get it downloaded?
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

blatherbeard wrote:I cant seem to get it downloaded. It canceled itself yesterday and today it stalls out at 2.9mb

edit--canceled itself again after being stalled at 2.9mb. did anyone else get it downloaded?
I was just downloaded the file and music file with no problems. I just tried it to see if I could. Not sure I want to play it as I'd have to put it on my PC side of my Mac. And I dislike having to switch back and forth.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Sixth time i tried, sixth time its failed.

I guess its not meant to be. Its the only site ive ever had a problem downloading from. Ill give it a bit and try again later on or tomorrow maybe.
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Thanks for recommending DD2. Since the disappoinment of Might and magic 6 and Diablo 3 I've had time on my hands. This seems to be a very good game. I had no trouble downloading it either,, which is odd for me. What I don't understand is how somebody can put so much work into a game and then give it away free! I am grateful though.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

I spoke too soon Quasimodo. In Durwich after going to the residential district I took the cultist quest there. After killing all the cultist and the demon my arrow keys, used to direct the character, will only go to the left and when hitting a wall can go up or down but that's all. I can't even start a new game, it just freezes up and I have to use the alt-ctrl-delete to get out. Did you have any trouble? I'll uninstall the game and reinstall it to see if it happens again, but I don't have time right now. :(
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Went to try another download and it appears that the site's account has been suspended.

quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

I had no problems with downloading or playing the game. It was totally bug-free for me.

The Developer did an interview with the RPG Watch a few months ago:

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?ar ... f=0&id=469

So I must assume he is still interested in supporting the game at some level.
Salid
Initiate

Post by Salid »

blatherbeard wrote:Went to try another download and it appears that the site's account has been suspended.
uhhh indeed...

Of course, right after I recommend a game. Seems Mr. Murphy has been laying down the law again...

Since the last update was only like ten days ago, the game is certainly still supported. Also, the last few updates to the custom campaign have been made just recently. I have no idea what is going on there now but I'll monitor activities... it would be a shame to lose this one.

@fellowcraft apprentice: wow, that sounds weird. I don't know how many times I've played through that quest and never encountered any problems. Since there were some very active bug-hunters on board and the game was updated regularly I indeed wonder how something like this could happen. Doesn't make it better anyway since the problem is probably unique to your situation and not easily fixed :(
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

I reinstalled the game and it is playing fine now including the cultist quest. This is an excellent game. Glad I got it before Murphy struck. By the way, what does 'account suspended' mean?
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

The Dark Disciples website is up and running again. Better yet they have a huge new campaign "Temple of Eternity". I just downloaded it and I'll give it a try tonight.

http://www.dodgysoft.com
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

My computer just hates that website.

3 different browsers, 3 different outcomes.

Firefox wont even start the download.

Chrome gets to 2.4mb and dies off

IE gets to 19 percent and stops.

No error or protection warning pops up but its almost like it gets to a point and just stalls, cancels itself or something. So far its the only site its ever happened on.