Need to Change DirX to Open GL

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Need to Change DirX to Open GL

Post by deathknight1728 »

"If you have a Windows-based computer, try changing the renderer from DirectX toOpenGL, or vice-versa. On some video cards this can create a very noticeable speed differ-ence depending on what brand of video hardware you have in your computer.On manyvideo cards, OpenGL is much faster than DirectX"-Manual

I am trying to do just what the manual says and change my video card renderer to open gl from direct x. Can anyone tell me how to do this in SIMPLE MAN terms. I am horrible with computers so any humble help would be cool. Im just trying to increase the speed of the game.Thanks.

-Dave
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Need to Change DirX to Open GL

Hmm..I might not have to change anything, I just read that eschalon book 2's new version makes the speed of movement 80% faster in 1.06, what does the new version of eschalon book 1 do for speed?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

Nothing since the 1.06 post was a joke. =)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
Dies a Lot
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by Dies a Lot »

To answer your question. When you first launch the game, you have a screen that shows the launch menu. Just below the Renderer area you should see one of three things. DirectX 7, DirectX 9, or Open GL. Just clicking on this area will change what Renderer option you will use in the game.

Hope this helps.

Ron
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Ok, changing to open gl didnt help. I noticed something, it states that the most important thing is to upgrade my graphics card. How do i go about doing this and does it cost anything?

If anyone knows how to do this in SIMPLE terms, can they let me know. If it costs anything then im just going to scratch playing the game but thats ok. For example, where do i go to find what graphics card my computer has?

I really would like to play this game but the slow speed is the only thing that has gotten in the way of my previous computer and now my laptop :(

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

deathknight1728 wrote:Ok, changing to open gl didnt help. I noticed something, it states that the most important thing is to upgrade my graphics card. How do i go about doing this and does it cost anything?
Oh, yeah - it'll cost you! :(
deathknight1728 wrote:If anyone knows how to do this in SIMPLE terms, can they let me know. If it costs anything then im just going to scratch playing the game but thats ok. For example, where do i go to find what graphics card my computer has?
On things like graphics cards, I tend to find CrazyBernie the most knowledge guy around here.

But, as you said you don't want to spend $$$, you may just have to put Book II aside until you get access to a faster computer set up.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

but arent there any easy graphics card downloads that dont cost anything, that might make the game work. I still find it hard to believe that the gcard is the problem, i can see the game fine. Its probably the mega hertz that is the case, as that affects speed.

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Go to the Options menu and find the performance rating - what does it say? It may be that the game's running at "normal" speed, but that you find the walking too slow.

While you're in there, you can also switch the graphics detail to low, which just makes the in-game screen smaller. I don't know if anyone actually plays that way, though - I think I would find it pretty annoying.

Have you tried both windowed and full-screen mode?

Do other games perform well? If not, there might be something wrong with your graphics drivers.

You can find out what kind of video card you have by right-clicking on your desktop background and selecting Properties, then select the Settings tab.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I think i might be alright. I did as you said with the windowed screen and it most of the time runs fine. Its very quirky though as it sometimes is a little slow. Honestly, the game isnt slow, its mostly just the movement speed for me which is alright. Im so used to spiderweb software's games going so fast, so maybe that is why im not used to it.

Speaking of spiderweb software, this game reminds me a bit of some of their work. The epic way about it. Either way, im looking forward to starting this series from the beginning 1 as i never beat it.

By the way, ive got a few questions about the 3rd title. Will that be the grand finale or will there be more? And what will be the main different focus of it (such as more skills?)

CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

You most likely have some sort of integrated graphics solution (I'm guessing an older Intel setup) which is notorious for poor gaming performance in the oddest selection of games.

The best advice I could give other than purchasing a graphics card (assuming you have an upgradeable desktop computer, which I didn't see any mention of desktop/laptop) would be to make sure you have the latest graphics and sound drivers. Even then, with ingrated graphics, there's a good chance it won't make a difference.

The areas you should notice the most slowdowns should be in the forests and the larger towns... you could always temporarily reduce the quality to zip through some of those areas if you've been through them before. Dungeons should be fairly speedy as there's less stuff to draw on the screen.

Book III should be the last Basilisk developed game in the series. I say Basilisk developed due to the fact that BW is planning on releasing some tools for fans to modify the game... or possibly create a new chapter in the Eschalon universe.