Disease-curing too expensive?

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Gothmog
Marshall

Disease-curing too expensive?

Post by Gothmog »

Ive got a disease (knocklessomething) and the damn Priest want 300 gold for it. I mean....the church may be broke...but 300 GOLD? Come on....i already broke because of all the arrows i bought. The potion is not much cheaper.
"FUL IR"
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Disease-curing too expensive?

Post by Saxon1974 »

Gothmog wrote:Ive got a disease (knocklessomething) and the damn Priest want 300 gold for it. I mean....the church may be broke...but 300 GOLD? Come on....i already broke because of all the arrows i bought. The potion is not much cheaper.
3 words,

Dont get cursed

I think that is like 1000 gold to remove.

This games makes gold management a bit tough, but i like that and it makes it realistic that you have to manage what you use it on. Keeps it valuable.
Opunaesala
Apprentice

Post by Opunaesala »

Quick save is your friend!
fishboy11
Initiate

Post by fishboy11 »

buy a cure disease potion its cheaper
Josia
Senior Steward

Post by Josia »

Gothmog wrote:Ive got a disease (knocklessomething) and the damn Priest want 300 gold for it. I mean....the church may be broke...but 300 GOLD? Come on....i already broke because of all the arrows i bought. The potion is not much cheaper.
Make sure you're already at full health and mana. The healer at the church does an all-at-once deal only, so he'll charge a pretty penny to restore HP and MP.

At full HP and MP, he only charged 50 GP to cure a disease of mine.
Jaesun
Senior Steward

Post by Jaesun »

Saxon1974 wrote: Dont get cursed...

This games makes gold management a bit tough, but i like that and it makes it realistic that you have to manage what you use it on. Keeps it valuable.
100% agree. Players spending their money recklesly should be discouraged, and adds great game play.

However if the reason in game balance of gold being incredibly scarce, is based off of a player constantly re-loading to avoid getting cursed or diseased, that is not good. There should be adequate funds or items freely available to accommodate this.
fishboy11
Initiate

Post by fishboy11 »

kind of makes the alchemy skill more important so you can make your own potions, i haven't played long yet but from what i've seen cure disease potions at least are very expensive and the shopkeeper only had 2 of them, i've been diseased twice in the same fight with 1 walking dead, that makes for a lot of money or alchemy ingredients, which is why i didn't feel bad when i found out you could duplicate items with a loophole, i'm only duplicating cure potions so far, it just saves on reloading and resting all the time.
nonameform
Apprentice

Post by nonameform »

I got a decease from the dead. Only the Strength is lower, everything else is fine. You could have cured the decease after the fight. It's not as lethal as poisoning.
Darek Mace
Initiate

Post by Darek Mace »

nonameform wrote:I got a decease from the dead. Only the Strength is lower, everything else is fine. You could have cured the decease after the fight. It's not as lethal as poisoning.
Actually I think disease affects your HP and magic recovery rates too!
dak
Marshall

Post by dak »

Hehe, like the other guy said Disease is nothing. I do not save and reload if I can avoid it.... I've spent all my gold on curing curses.. kind of in panic now! with a disease you can still keep playing OK but with a curse it is impossible : no recovery of HP or mana, all stats decreased a LOT!... too horrible! + you can't carry enough loot to sell and get money to cure the curse.... gawd maybe I should start to save and reload :P
sapper_astro
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by sapper_astro »

With the Atheist morality type, what does it mean exactly by 'cannot be healed by an altruistic priest'? I assume that doesn't mean the player character spells does it?

Just thinking it might be a good pick, with Atheists being immune to curses.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

I know if you pick the Atheist morality type you cannot be healed by a priest, I do not know if you are allowed to learn divination spells which would included bless and divine heal. I would assume you could not learn divination spells and would have to rely on potions and alchemy. If you can learn divination spells it would be a loophole.
Last edited by realmzmaster on December 9th, 2007, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
History is written by the winners!
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

Pretty much you need a few points of alchemy, there are a couple items that significantly boost your alchemy so you can pop on the item to make some potions then pop something else back on to boost other stats.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

One of the items macdude22 refers to is Brewmaster +3 rings. If you can find two of them you have +6 levels to your alchemy skill. The other item is a book on brewing that will give you the alchemy skill or increase your skill by two levels.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

You may want to improve your skills in divination if you think disease curing is to expensive. You could learn cure poison and disease. By increasing your skill your can cure most diseases and poison. Unforunately at the early part of the game you can be at the mercy of the priests and merchants for a cure. Rarely was I cursed. I usually cast bless before going into combat. But, I got cursed once or twice and had to crawl back to the priest. Yes it is expensive, but lifting a curse should not be taken lightly. :)