Nerf Armor Rating

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Never
Initiate

Nerf Armor Rating

Post by Never »

Please tell me this will be fixed in Book III, but I have gotten to the point (after imbuing) where I have a *minimum* of 94% dodge rating against all creatures (I'm usually at 99% for pretty much everything). Yes, I am fairly close to the end of the game (last 10 hours roughly) but still, it's quite ridiculous.

EDIT: I'm at around 60 armor rating, I'm currently using heavy armor.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Nerf Armor Rating

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

So is your problem with the Dodge skill or with the Armor Rating variable?
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Never
Initiate

Post by Never »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:So is your problem with the Dodge skill or with the Armor Rating variable?
What I mean by "dodge" the enemy is the enemy's ToHit rating. Most enemies have ~2% hit chance on me. I'd post screenshots, but I'm at work currently.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Never wrote:Please tell me this will be fixed in Book III, but I have gotten to the point (after imbuing) where I have a *minimum* of 94% dodge rating against all creatures (I'm usually at 99% for pretty much everything). Yes, I am fairly close to the end of the game (last 10 hours roughly) but still, it's quite ridiculous.

...What I mean by "dodge" the enemy is the enemy's ToHit rating. Most enemies have ~2% hit chance on me. I'd post screenshots, but I'm at work currently.
I'm not sure I'd get rid of that, actually, as it's been that way since Book I.

One small change I've suggested on this topic, though, is that I think ToHit ratings should go back to Max/Min'ing out at 98%/2% in Book III, a la Book I, rather than Book II's more fantastical 99%/1% Max/Min ToHit.

But I'm not sure I'd want to see any greater overhaul of this than that, at least not for the Eschalon series...
Never
Initiate

Post by Never »

IJBall wrote:
Never wrote:Please tell me this will be fixed in Book III, but I have gotten to the point (after imbuing) where I have a *minimum* of 94% dodge rating against all creatures (I'm usually at 99% for pretty much everything). Yes, I am fairly close to the end of the game (last 10 hours roughly) but still, it's quite ridiculous.

...What I mean by "dodge" the enemy is the enemy's ToHit rating. Most enemies have ~2% hit chance on me. I'd post screenshots, but I'm at work currently.
I'm not sure I'd get rid of that, actually, as it's been that way since Book I.

One small change I've suggested on this topic, though, is that I think ToHit ratings should go back to Max/Min'ing out at 98%/2% in Book III, a la Book I, rather than Book II's more fantastical 99%/1% Max/Min ToHit.

But I'm not sure I'd want to see any greater overhaul of this than that, at least not for the Eschalon series...
It was in 1? Oh, well I don't think I ever decided to imbue in 1, so I guess I missed that... Well, I want to see it changed because I love this game greatly for how hard/punishing it is, but when I get to a 99%/98% chance to NOT be hit, it gets VERY monotonous and easy, easy enough for me to get bored with the game :/
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I just find this discussion pretty funny next to the discussion of people who can't survive the Taurax because they get pounded into the ground so the game is too difficult. It's all in how you choose to play. I've had easier passes through the game and harder, just based on what I wanted to try in a particular game. To me, that's what makes the Eschalon series so very good just as it is. There are minor tweaks I could see, but overhauling things like the armor because you found a build that takes maximum advantage of it, I don't see as necessary or even a good idea.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Never
Initiate

Post by Never »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I just find this discussion pretty funny next to the discussion of people who can't survive the Taurax because they get pounded into the ground so the game is too difficult. It's all in how you choose to play. I've had easier passes through the game and harder, just based on what I wanted to try in a particular game. To me, that's what makes the Eschalon series so very good just as it is. There are minor tweaks I could see, but overhauling things like the armor because you found a build that takes maximum advantage of it, I don't see as necessary or even a good idea.
All I did is imbue and I was OP as shit. having 1% ToHit rating on yourself makes the game VERY boring, it's really, truly, game-breaking.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

If you're complaining about being OP in a stat-based game, you're clearly playing the wrong game. There's always that point in stat-based RPGs where your character becomes ridiculously powerful.

Sorry for being such a Jedi, but I couldn't resist the urge.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Never wrote:All I did is imbue and I was OP as shit. having 1% ToHit rating on yourself makes the game VERY boring, it's really, truly, game-breaking.
So your issue is more with the ability through getting high enough in alchemy to add 21 to your armor rating without increasing the weight of the armor being worn. In Book I, this was balanced slightly more by the rarity of the materials needed for imbuing armor, whereas Book II, you can pretty much just camp/forage until you have everything you want, assuming you're also high enough level in forage.

Again, it's all about your expectations of a game and where you put your energies and points in the game as to what your experience is. Yes, alchemy can get very powerful--perhaps overpowering--and BW may need to take a third look at balancing armor imbuing, but what you found game-breakingly boring is the point that some other players find fun. You can't please everybody with everything.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

I had a couple of different character builds where I ended up with a character that was very powerful - one was a mage and the other was a brawler. I thought that was really cool when I could just mow through the enemies!

And I've had other builds that weren't very powerful, and had to rely on stealth and other tactics. And I had fun with those builds too.

Overall, I think it's a good balance. I like that you can develop your character any way you want, and the game plays differently depending on what you do.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I don't see this as being a problem. In a game with as much flexibility as Eschalon, there are going to be some builds and strategies that are better than others. Nerfing them would mean making the game harder for people who aren't min/maxers and already consider it pretty challenging.

I wouldn't mind seeing a difficulty modifier that increases the stats of the enemies, though. I feel like that's a pretty common practice in other games and wouldn't be too hard to implement.

As for the game being boring when the enemies can't hit you, I'd say it's still less boring than fighting one enemy, resting for three days, rinse and repeat.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Spiderweb ganes went back to the idea of a 5% chance to always hit and to be hit (natural 20 on a 20 sided die from D&D) to eliminate the build where you couldn't be hit or do damage. Also the ability to spell cast into an invulnerable character. :(
RPGamer
Apprentice

Post by RPGamer »

Randomizer wrote:Spiderweb ganes went back to the idea of a 5% chance to always hit and to be hit (natural 20 on a 20 sided die from D&D) to eliminate the build where you couldn't be hit or do damage. Also the ability to spell cast into an invulnerable character. :(
Perhaps BW will implement this kind of thing in a future game he makes. Critical hits and misses with a 5% chance kind of thing. With critical misses having negative affects. I'll never forget being a badass half elf ranger with a composite long bow... and rolling two 1's in a row. I miss that bow :(
leshpar
Marshall

Post by leshpar »

I've really fallen in love with the way DnD rules do this in games such as Baldur's Gate. I agree with the guy above me who said it should be a static 5% to get hit at the max possible armor rating. Also, maybe some of the more powerful enemies (such as the taurax) could have a higher than normal to hit rating. I know the way I got through some areas was avoiding the taurax or funneling them down to where only one or two could hit me at a time.