Fathamurk Technical Aspects

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Fathamurk Technical Aspects

Post by Vroqren »

As I've mentioned, I have recently started working on making a Fathamurk Walkthrough. Rather than just explain how to solve everything though, this time, I want to explain in detail the most efficient ways to do everything, and what skills will do what for you.

So, like all my previous walkthroughs, I'm starting a topic where I can ask the forums some questions I have, so that I can write a better walkthrough. This time though, for the most part, rather than being questions about spelling and side quests, I'd like to know some of the technical aspects of the game. So, my first two:

What level of elemental magic does it take to cast Lock Melt level 6? I could figure this out, but I don't currently have access to my computer that runs Eschalon, nor do I have a character yet made with elemental magic.

Second, what exactly is the equation for how much weight you can carry. As we all know, one of the biggest challenges of Fathamurk is what to carry out, and what to leave behind. I'd like to know just what the equation for Encumbrance is, so I can put it directly into the walkthrough.

EDIT: Alright, two further questions already, both related to the other ones:
First, what magic level is required for the highest level (6?) of the Ogre Strength Spell (If I understand correctly that there is one?)
Second: What does the Ogre Strength spell, and/or the potion do to the maximum weight you can carry?

Any further questions I have I will ask in this topic.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Fathamurk Technical Aspects

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

[edited] Added Fathamurk to the topic title to clarify subject. -BW
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Vroqren wrote:What level of elemental magic does it take to cast Lock Melt level 6? I could figure this out, but I don't currently have access to my computer that runs Eschalon, nor do I have a character yet made with elemental magic.
Lock Melt is a 'Tier 2' spell, so you need Level 20 Elemental Magic to cast it at Level 6.
Vroqren wrote:Second, what exactly is the equation for how much weight you can carry. As we all know, one of the biggest challenges of Fathamurk is what to carry out, and what to leave behind. I'd like to know just what the equation for Encumbrance is, so I can put it directly into the walkthrough.
I don't remember exactly, but I believe that info can be found in Slarty's(?) thread on Eschalon's Attribute formulas - I am quite sure that the link to that is in Randomizer's Strategy Central thread for Book II.

I do know that every point in STR increases your carrying capacity by 4lbs; I believe every point in CON increases your carrying capacity by 2lbs.
Vroqren wrote:EDIT: Alright, two further questions already, both related to the other ones:
First, what magic level is required for the highest level (6?) of the Ogre Strength Spell (If I understand correctly that there is one?)
Ogre Strength is another 'Tier 2' spell, so you need Level 20, this time in Divination Magic, to cast it at Level 6.
Vroqren wrote:Second: What does the Ogre Strength spell, and/or the potion do to the maximum weight you can carry?
Not sure about the potion, but Level 6 in Ogre Strength increases your char's strength by 6x(+4) for a total increase of +24 to your char's STR.

BTW, not just to toot my own horn, but this thread is useful not just for the spell descriptions, but also to figure out what Level of which Magic you need to cast a spell of a particular 'Tier' at a particular Level.

As a general rule of thumb, if you can get a non-Magic-concentrating char. to Level 20 in a Magic, you are well covered! - Level 20 allows you to cast Tier 1 and Tier 2 spells to Level 6, and even Tier 3 spells to Level 3. If you aren't running a 'pure Mage' or 'pure Healer' char., that's pretty darn good!! ;)
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Remember to add descriptions of all the traps and puzzles inside Fathamurk, especially the Path of Resistances.

"Remember, kids: when you've got to walk across lava, remove your shoes and pants first!"
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Awesome, thank you Lord P. I have been using Randmoizers Strategy Central like none other.
One thing I need, and is not in the Creature Info by Spotted Shroom here:
What are the HP and EXP values for:
Lava Slag(s), Scarlet Death(s), Assassin Stalk(s), and the Stone Golem?

Thanks in advance for this, and thanks again Lord P. I've looked at those links, but couldn't find the data till you pointed it out to me.

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Vroqren wrote:Awesome, thank you Lord P. I have been using Randmoizers Strategy Central like none other.
Uh, Lord_P?... :?

:P
Vroqren wrote:One thing I need, and is not in the Creature Info by Spotted Shroom here:
What are the HP and EXP values for:
Lava Slag(s), Scarlet Death(s), Assassin Stalk(s), and the Stone Golem?
On that one, I think we're going to need Spotted Shroom - you can find that kind of info directly in the Book I game app (e.g. if you open the app with a text application), but I believe that info is "hidden" in the Book II game app.

So we're going to need either SS to get that info for us, or at least tell us how to get it...
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

IJBall wrote:
Vroqren wrote:Awesome, thank you Lord P. I have been using Randmoizers Strategy Central like none other.
Uh, Lord_P?... :?
My bad, looked at the post right above the one I was making at that time. Alright, I can fix this:
Thanks IJBall!
Thanks for the additional info about monster HP as well.
You know, Spotted Shroom could help us... Or BW. I'd be willing to bet that that information is quite available to BW.
As nice as it would be, I think I'd rather have BW working on Book III.

Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

I'm like a black hole for admiration. Nothing escapes my even horizon. :lol:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Vroqren wrote:You know, Spotted Shroom could help us... Or BW. I'd be willing to bet that that information is quite available to BW.
As nice as it would be, I think I'd rather have BW working on Book III.
Also, BW has never stopped us from working these things out as best we can, but he has also never directly released information about monster stats or other under-the-hood elements of the game. The way to figure it out is to keep track of your damage to the creatures and over time figure out where the line is where they drop dead.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I'll probably just end up doing that. Other than Mire Trolls and the Stone Golem, do monsters heal over time? I know they do if you're not fighting them, but if you are do they? That could throw off results.

EDIT:
Results on that were rather varied. From these results:
Lava Slag:
196? 158? 176? 150? 149? 144? 153? 135?
I'm going to assume that their HP are 150.
If anyone knows better though, I would love to know. Thanks!

Assassin Stalk:
243? 253? 259? 258? 250? 259? 259?
I'm going to assume 250 HP.
Once again, if you know better, let me know.

Scarlet Death:
160? 154? 162? 158?
I'm assuming 160 HP.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by Vroqren on February 16th, 2013, 11:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Vroqren wrote:I'll probably just end up doing that. Other than Mire Trolls and the Stone Golem, do monsters heal over time? I know they do if you're not fighting them, but if you are do they? That could throw off results.
I believe the golem is the only thing in Fathamurk that regenerates during combat.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I believe the golem is the only thing in Fathamurk that regenerates during combat.
Nope - Mire Trolls also regenerate (edit: oh - you said in Fathamurk... right you are then!). The Stone Golem seems to regenerate faster (and to a greater percentage of restored HPs?...) than Mire Trolls do.

I don't think anything in Book I regenerated HPs, outside of Gramuk who was a special exception (i.e. was a specially hard-coded exception). So mobs with HP-regeneration was I think a new development in Book II. (I wonder if we'll see more of that in Book III... I kind of hope not!! [gulp!])

Edit: Nice, PM! May I ask where/how you came by that info?...
Last edited by IJBall on February 16th, 2013, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:But why the question? Did you think I was going to be a naughty boy and hack into the game files? :wink:
Honestly, I wasn't sure if you and Spotted Shroom had gotten that kind of info from xolotl's Editor, or if you had hacked into the Book II game app/files somehow (SS's list has more info, so I'm not sure if he used just xolotl's Editor).

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised that xolotl's Editor doesn't give you the XP values for mobs along with the other entity info...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I'm late to the party again, but here's the same info as I posted before for the Fathamurk enemies:

Code: Select all

Name               HP    Armor ToHit Dmg   XP
----------------------------------------------------
M. Assass. Stalk  250    15    45    10    185    
Lava Slag         135    24    24    15    400              
Scarlet Death     150    31    30    14    180              
Stone Golem      1200    40    42    50   1000
Another interesting tidbit from the entities file - both the Stone Golem and Mire Troll have special ability 9, which I presume is regeneration. Obviously the Golem recovers more health than the Mire Troll, but I don't see a field for that. Maybe they both just recover a percentage of the maximum? I suppose I could test this by giving other enemies ability 9, but I'm too lazy at the moment.