Qui-Gon the Magic Pacifist

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Qui-Gon the Magic Pacifist

Post by Vroqren »

For a while now, I have wanted to play three separate different builds, so I decided I would try to mash them all together, just to see how it turned out. The builds are:
1. The 'Get everything out of Fathamurk' Build
2. The Dual-Magic using build
3. The Pacifist

Luckily enough, the first to go together pretty darn well with spells of ogre strength and Lock Melt, Fathamurk probably won't be too bad. Unfortunately, the third doesn't go with either of those.
Pacifist is hard. I'm doing pretty well, Sparkling Wonder is awesome for this build, but I figured I would only need to kill a couple of monsters:
1. General Ghorrs
2. Stone Golem
3. Guardian in Lv. 1 Lorewitch
4. The Lava Slag that drops Candecium
5. The Lava Slag that drops the Diamond Key
And that was about it. Unfortunately, I killed the dude in Eastwillows well, in order to get a little more exp. That was my first kill. I also ended up killing Sparrow, in order to advance with the quests, and get exp. (I know you can get the key from Durnore, but I don't have a high enough lock melt yet). I'm kind of stuck though. So here are my questions:

1. Have you guys ever tried a dual-magic using character, and gone for Pacifist? If so, what spells did you find most useful?

2. How do you guys suggest I get exp? That's what I've been struggling with the most so far, and I've completed almost every non-combat oriented quest.

3. I'm about to enter Hammerlorne. I figured I would just Sparkle my way through it, making all enemies run away from me, but the Etherels aren't affected by that spell (I found that out in the beginning of Westwillow). Is there any other way to avoid them? I don't have any melee weapons, and I know that there are some 1 wide hallways in the second level of Hammerlorne. Can I block them with powder kegs, or just get a weapon, as I may be forced to kill one or two of them?

Thanks in advance guys!

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Qui-Gon the Magic Pacifist

Post by Randomizer »

It's too late for this build, but Hide in Shadows works real well in Hammerlorne to avoid monsters.

However Invisibility might work as well with running past the monsters. You may get hit a few times, but you won't have to kill as much.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Brilliant, thank you very much.

SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

The invisibility potions have been working miracles! Thanks for suggesting that, I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

I also found that, for getting past large groups of enemies that are hard to confuse with 'Sparkling Wonder', running and Divine Heal are excellent. I've been using that more than I ever thought I would, and have gotten as much loot as I can without lock melt at level 6 yet.

Because I don't have Lock Melt 6, or any skill in pick locks, I've been casting fire dart on the actual door into the cave for about 15 minutes now. I'm half way through it!

Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

I hate to necro (and tripple post), but Qui-Gon has completed his one goal in life! Of course, he picked up another along the way, but the original goal of this character was to take all the loot out of Fathamurk, as Kreador once said it was impossible. Well, it's not. I opened every chest, and took every item.
Here are three screenshots. The first two are before I leave the dungeon, with all the loot in my inventory. The final is after I've sold it all.

Now I've just got to get to Ghorrs, and finish the job. Then it's off the Brambit, and Steve Jobs.

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I love when people prove me wrong. :)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

Game Over, Ghorr is dead. I'll post a screenshot here as soon as I get it- pressing p didn't do it. It's alright, I can just kill him again, I have a save right before fighting him. I think total I had 8 kills this game.

I've already started Brambit the Thief, and will be starting a new topic for him after posting this.

Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

How did you kill the Lava Slags in Fathamurk? They are immune to all of the spell I've tried so far :cry:
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Painted Lady wrote:How did you kill the Lava Slags in Fathamurk? They are immune to all of the spell I've tried so far :cry:
Compress atmosphere should work on them.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
Painted Lady wrote:How did you kill the Lava Slags in Fathamurk? They are immune to all of the spell I've tried so far :cry:
Compress atmosphere should work on them.
Of course - that 's because I haven't bought it yet. Thanks!
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

(sorry for the late response, I was camping for the last week)
I also had to reload saves before Fathamurk in order to get a spell that finally worked. The one I ended up using was Sunder Flesh, though evidently COmpress Atmosphere works as well. I believe, when looking at the spells list, any tyhat deal physical damage should work.

SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Lava slags are 100% resistant to elemental and toxic effects, so the only spells that will damage them are Fleshboil, Sunder Flesh, Compress Atmosphere, Mass Boil, and Mystic Hammer. Of course, they're also 20% likely to resist those spells, too. No one said Fathamurk was supposed to be easy :)