A message to all of you

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
tykinruoka
Initiate

A message to all of you

Post by tykinruoka »

G'day all,

For those of you, who prefer short and to the point posts, here's an executive summary:
- I'm new here.
- You're great!
- Book II is great!
- Can't wait for Book III!

And for those who have enough stamina to read long ramblings of an old man...here we go:

So, I'm a long time lurker. Decided to finally register, and also post something.

The first game I bought with my own money, was Ultima 6. The year was 1990, but I still remember the feeling, when the installer finally finished and I was able to actually start the game. It was awesome. The colors. The music. Everything. My uncle said, the game reminded him of the seventies. No idea what he meant.

Two years ago, I bought Book II directly from Basilisk Games. When I started playing, it reminded me of my first day with Ultima 6. Something in the game told me I was going to once again experience the greatness of a truly good game. And I was not disappointed.

The only one, who did not like the game, was my wife. She was not thrilled about the fact that I was glued to the screen and not doing intelligent small talk with her about the latest tv-show, where this loud person tells other persons how not to pluck a chicken. My wife, she doesn't like computer games. Although she can beat me in Super Mario Bros. Every single time.

I'm quite sure, that I'm not able to play Book III on valentine's day. But the day after it, I'm so going to play it. If my wife lets me.

Happy holidays,
Tykinruoka
P.S. Sorry for my crappy english. Not my native language.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: A message to all of you

Post by Vroqren »

Welcome! I love seeing new people here. You mentioned Book II, but have you played Book I? If not, I would certainly suggest it.

And your english was fine.

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

The patrons of Drunken Lizard pub welcome you with open arms!

BTW tykinruoka, Finnish?
tykinruoka
Initiate

Post by tykinruoka »

Vroqren wrote: You mentioned Book II, but have you played Book I? If not, I would certainly suggest it.
I hate admitting it, but I have not yet played Book I. I do own it. I bought it in last May. I immediately installed it, but never got beyond that. It's hard to choose what to play when you keep all your games installed all the time. I think I need to do some christmas time cleaning on my hard drives.

And by the way, I looked your Book I/II guides. Excellent work! I need to check those more thoroughly when I have time.
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk ?
tykinruoka
Initiate

Post by tykinruoka »

Lord_P wrote: BTW tykinruoka, Finnish?
You guessed it right. Tykinruoka = cannon fodder.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Welcome to the forum. As others have said, you really should play Book I before Book III comes out. Things that happened in Book II will make much more sense. And, it's a wonderful game in it's own right. In fact, it's still about my favorite RPG ever. Enjoy!
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

I personally started with EB:II and enjoyed that I really had no idea what has happened before because there was no memory to be put aside in order to imagine my character suffering from amnesia. But when playing EB:I afterwards I did not regret it a single time and there are parts of the game which surpass the sequel, in my opinion.
So long story short: play EB:I as it is definitely worth the time. :)
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

tykinruoka wrote: And by the way, I looked your Book I/II guides. Excellent work! I need to check those more thoroughly when I have time.
Thank you, though I have actually been considering going through both the Book I and Book II walkthroughs and either completely rewriting them, or at least heavily revising them. I realized after the fact that they were both very specific to my paladin build (How I play through each game for the first time). Maybe around Christmas time, once I'm done with school and whatnot.
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:Welcome tykinruoka. Your English is very good so I don't understand why you are apologizing for it.
That's what I meant to say by "Your english is fine"

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

tykinruoka wrote:
Lord_P wrote: BTW tykinruoka, Finnish?
You guessed it right. Tykinruoka = cannon fodder.
Ha, I knew it! Now I know that I'm not the only Finnish person who plays Eschalon. :D
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

If you think your English is bad, you should see what happens when most of us try Finnish. ;-) Welcome to the Pub, Tykinruoka!
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
tykinruoka
Initiate

Post by tykinruoka »

Thank you all for your very nice comments!

Tonight, I'm going to start playing Book I. Interesting to see how long it takes to complete it.

Lord_P: Mukava tosiaan tietää ettei ole Eschalonin ainoa fani Suomessa :)
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

Your english is great and welcome!
shylo32
Apprentice

Post by shylo32 »

Your English seems to be better than some of us native speakers can make it sound! Welcome to the forums, although like you, I seem to do more lurking than talking!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

I smell Finnish fan translation!
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

SpottedShroom wrote:I smell Finnish fan translation!
That could be a possibility...

The problem would be the huge difference of how grammar works in Indo-European languages (e.g. English) versus Finno-Ugric languages (e.g. Finnish). The word order is completely different and grammatical cases ("sijamuodot" in Finnish) make translating sentences like "on top of smth" a real pain.