Mage vs. Fighter

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Calathon
Marshall

Mage vs. Fighter

Post by Calathon »

After having finished EB: III the first time as a fighter, I now am halfway through as a mage. It is the first time that I play as a mage (in all the EB parts) and I have to say it is really fun! And in my opinion, it is much more easier than playing a melee character.

At the beginning I was kind of concerned that I would not have enough HP to endure the fights, but now (at level 12 with ca. 60 HP and 200 MP) I do not see any necessity to invest in HP - the enemy just does not get close enough to do any harm to me! :D Additionally, I have never had that much gold (ca. 20K) as I have now, simply because I do not spend any money on potions, armour or weapons. In fact, I did not wear any armour and have not used any weapon so far in order to get the corresponding end-score-bonuses.

Ironically, I found some very nice armour as a mage I have been looking for as a fighter for so long (but never found it) and now I can sell it for 5k of gold, which is nice but also unimportant because I simply do not have any need for money - a condition I have never been in as a figher.

But the best thing is, that with a meditation skill of 11 and Intelligence, Perception, Wisdom and Concentration of 30 each I just have to rest for 3-4 hours and all my mana is restored completely. And per every step I make I regain 1 MP which is also very nice because I simply can outrun the enemy with haste and restore my MP while walking away.

In short, playing as a mage is more fun than I ever could have imagined and it is much easier than I thought. That is what I like very much about this game: you can play with a completely different character and the game experience is a totally different one! :D
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
hakea
Apprentice

Re: Mage vs. Fighter

Post by hakea »

Interesting post. I'm finding much the same as you, going through the second time with a more magic focused character.

My problem is that I always tend to make fairly generalist characters who can turn their hands to more than one style - ie throw a few spells but still do a bit of damage with a sword and open a few locks, etc. Inevitably that "Jack of all trades, but Master of none" approach means that I get thumped more and have to work harder to get through. But the game seems well enough balanced to allow a pretty wide range of approaches - which can't be easy to achieve. Kudos to Basilisk for giving us so many playable options.

My current Mage is doing well and seems powerful enough for a fairly comfortable ride through, but I still couldn't resist some points in bow skills to give him... Well, literally "another string to his bow" I guess.

I rather rushed through the first time, including not doing all the areas, and the game seemed all too short. But, like you, I'm finding that there's real interest in trying different character styles now.The replay value of games can often be less appealing than the makers claim, but this one seems to have done a good job in that respect. At least that how it's working for me.

Enjoy your pure Mage, it sounds good to have enough power not to need to fuss with armour and potions as much. :)
Palog
Marshall

Post by Palog »

In all books a focused mage is the easiest character to play, as soon you know more or less the rules for Mana level and regeneration. And such character don't need any bow/sword/rogue talent which makes even more easy to build a focused mage. The only problem with mage is you can easily break the normal flow of the game by doing many fights a lot sooner than you are supposed to do. It can generate a few chaining less good in quests and stories. But the game seems manage well quests not started and already done then started and finished. Such character is also less well merged in the overall adventure management because he ignores easily almost any skills.

Even if it is more easy if you build it well, I wouldn't advise start with a focused mage.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I ran a level 4 mage in Rockhammer Mine level 2 past the gate without trouble. I won't even try it with another build before level 8.
AtheneWins
Initiate

Post by AtheneWins »

magic is way overpowered and simple, just like the other 2 games
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

AtheneWins wrote:magic is way overpowered and simple, just like the other 2 games
Mage is definitely the easiest build in Book III, but I maintain that ranger with light magic support is the easiest build in the other two games. You could argue that it's too good compared to the other options in Book III - I was hoping for a nerf for mages similar to the diminishing skill returns / feat damage to weapons for weapon fighters.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

A ranger without magic can work here too and you don't even need armor. :)

An ranger with armor can get the chance to be hit down to 5% or less by the best monsters in the endgame. A couple of rings will help with magick attacks.
Jenna
Apprentice

Post by Jenna »

I always play a swordsman. I feel like I should play again after this run through and try some magic! I guess I just find slicing things with swords very satisfying lol!
Solar
Initiate

Post by Solar »

Because I always aim to be self-sufficient (capable of producing food & water, healing myself, repairing stuff, opening locks, identifying stuff and ideally capable of carrying a lot of stuff) I tend to go for a mix of Divine Magic and some melee weapon with just a tiny bit of Elemental magic thrown in. Book 3 gave me absolutely no trouble that way.
Calathon
Marshall

Post by Calathon »

hakea wrote: My problem is that I always tend to make fairly generalist characters who can turn their hands to more than one style - ie throw a few spells but still do a bit of damage with a sword and open a few locks, etc. Inevitably that "Jack of all trades, but Master of none" approach means that I get thumped more and have to work harder to get through. But the game seems well enough balanced to allow a pretty wide range of approaches - which can't be easy to achieve. Kudos to Basilisk for giving us so many playable options.
When playing as a fighter I also train more skills because I want to be able to repair my stuff, I need magic healing and a magic water supply, I want to attack with a bow and to be proficient in heavy armor and swords, for orientation I need cartography and last but not least I have to have some skill in foraging and lock picking.
As a mage I simply learn a little about cartography, meditate and about elemental and divine magic, that´s it. The rest is just a matter of buying or finding the spells you like. :wink:
hakea wrote:Enjoy your pure Mage, it sounds good to have enough power not to need to fuss with armour and potions as much. :)
Thanks, I do that a lot! And it is really nice to see goblins falling before you (quite a lot away before you that is) after only 3-4 attacks with a powerful spell at a high level. :)
"It is early morning, quiet and peaceful."
Jaymann
Apprentice

Post by Jaymann »

I usually start a melee character to get a feel for the game, then go for a mage when I want to get serious. Now that I know where the best weapons are, I am playing a rogue with dagger, bow, light armor, and almost no magic. Interesting that shields are not heavy armor. Seems to be working fine.
VDK
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by VDK »

Well a mage vs. fighter mage would win at low levels. I remember attacking father michael (book 1) he destroys you early on if you are a fighter. Once fighter gets later on in the game and gets magic and elemental resistance, its almost impossible to take down a warrior with high resistances. You dont fight many spellcasters throughout the whole series, but a balls to the wall fighter with almost maxed resistances and melee weapons can tear up nearly anything.
Darth
Pledge

Post by Darth »

I'm carrying a lvl 13 mage and I also have the feeling I'm walking the game. I always had the memory Eschalon was a tough game,but I always played melee or ranger. With a mage it's only a bit harsh at the very beginning, but at lvl 8 killing goblins for 400xp each was too much rewarding, imo.
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

VDK wrote:Well a mage vs. fighter mage would win at low levels. I remember attacking father michael (book 1) he destroys you early on if you are a fighter. Once fighter gets later on in the game and gets magic and elemental resistance, its almost impossible to take down a warrior with high resistances. You dont fight many spellcasters throughout the whole series, but a balls to the wall fighter with almost maxed resistances and melee weapons can tear up nearly anything.
Ice Lance does physical damage, no resist possible. Plus good luck catching an invisible and/or hasted mage.
Vroqren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Vroqren »

This makes me think of a potentially awesome mod where you get the opportunity to fight a really well developed enemy of the other class (basically like the flipside of whatever your build is).

Check out my walkthroughs:
Character: here
Book I: here

Book II: here
Fathamurk: here
Book III: here
SpottedShroom wrote:There's evil and then there's just being contrary to your own best interests