Engine stuff

A forum for discussing all things regarding modding of Eschalon: Book III
mbrowne
Steward

Engine stuff

Post by mbrowne »

I'm not aware of the roadmap you guys are coming up with for engine and editor development, but here are a couple of things I wish I had now:
  • - player_effect should work on tiles
    - similar to bonus_att, how about a bonus_skill?
    - a Wait function. Not sure why the existing delay function is called "delay," it's almost the opposite.
    - an open_door to go with the existing close_door
Thanks for listening.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Engine stuff

Post by xolotl »

mbrowne wrote:- similar to bonus_att, how about a bonus_skill?
- a Wait function. Not sure why the existing delay function is called "delay," it's almost the opposite.
Yeah, those are good ideas; I'll add them to the thread we've got for new actions. For "delay," I agree that the name probably isn't the greatest, considering its actual effects, but I doubt that would end up changing.
- player_effect should work on tiles
Did you mean for, like, poisoning entities which happen to be on a certain tile, for instance? That might be interesting, though the hardest part would be targetting. You'd only be able to target a tile and hope that something was on the tile, yes?

(As a disclaimer, btw, I suspect it'll be quite awhile before we get any new scripting actions, though we'll see. I'm guessing the BW's priorities are going to be getting the rest of the mod support in place first before adding more scripting actions.)
mbrowne
Steward

Re: Engine stuff

Post by mbrowne »

xolotl wrote:
mbrowne wrote:- similar to bonus_att, how about a bonus_skill?
Yeah, those are good ideas; I'll add them to the thread we've got for new actions. For "delay," I agree that the name probably isn't the greatest, considering its actual effects, but I doubt that would end up changing.
Yep. I don't care what the name is... I was just expecting a delay, is all :)
xolotl wrote:
mbrowne wrote:- player_effect should work on tiles
Did you mean for, like, poisoning entities which happen to be on a certain tile, for instance? That might be interesting, though the hardest part would be targetting. You'd only be able to target a tile and hope that something was on the tile, yes?
I'm talking tile-triggered object (type #14), and adding eg. " player_effect EFFECT_POISONED 1 4 " But the list of EFFECT_XXXX options don't exactly work as expected. I'm getting inconsistent results, and even moreso when I put more than one command in the script.