Weird/Viable build ?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: Weird/Viable build ?

Post by IJBall »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Rowanas wrote:Eurgh. Warmoth would be a much better weapon if it didn't come with a +1 to poison. It's more like a penalty to stop the bow being enchanted too much and allowing it to become too powerful.
Without the poison, it's just a 6 base damage bow, right? There are plenty of those around for not too much money. The best thing about Warmoth for me is its ability to affect ghosts. I think in-game text mentions needing a weapon with bonus damage to harm ghosts, but evidently the poison effect is enough...
Are you sure about that? Because I'm pretty sure that Cold/Fire/Poison damage on its own isn't enough - I had Sword with Fire damage (only), and when I tried to hit ghosts, the accompanying informative text told me I needed a weapon with actual magical damage in order to hit it.

So I'm pretty sure you need a weapon imbued with (magical) Damage, not just Cold/Fire/Poison Damage...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

IJBall wrote:Are you sure about that? Because I'm pretty sure that Cold/Fire/Poison damage on its own isn't enough - I had Sword with Fire damage (only), and when I tried to hit ghosts, the accompanying informative text told me I needed a weapon with actual magical damage in order to hit it.
Absolutely. I wiped out the ghosts in Ironpool Dam, the ghosts in Vinhalu, and the Prospector, and I've only ever had two bows - the starting one and Warmoth. I was honestly expecting it not to work, but when I was passing through Hammerlorne, I figured I'd waste an arrow and at least try. Oh, also - all those kills were using Intense Focus exclusively. I wonder if that makes a difference?
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

Another thing that makes a difference is an amulet or ring (the names of them escape me at the moment) that gives a bonus to damage. That was the only way my non-spellcasting unarmed warrior was able to damage ghosts. Presumably they would have the same effect with weapons.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Turtle wrote:Another thing that makes a difference is an amulet or ring (the names of them escape me at the moment) that gives a bonus to damage. That was the only way my non-spellcasting unarmed warrior was able to damage ghosts. Presumably they would have the same effect with weapons.
Ah, that might explain SS's example then, if he was wearing, say, a Bloodlust (+1 Damage) Ring at the time he was using Warmoth. (Either that, or it's a 'bug' with Bows!!)

In my case, I was playing the True Warrior challenge, so I couldn't wear any rings or amulets. So I had to wait until I could get a Sword with actual magical damage, not just Fire damage, before I could take on ghosts...
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Turtle wrote:Another thing that makes a difference is an amulet or ring (the names of them escape me at the moment) that gives a bonus to damage. That was the only way my non-spellcasting unarmed warrior was able to damage ghosts. Presumably they would have the same effect with weapons.
That's it - I had two bloodlust rings and an animal rage amulet on. I didn't consider that they might let me damage ghosts. I guess I'm thinking too much like D&D, where only the weapon itself matters.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

I am currently playing a monk/ranger type character and having a hell of a lot of fun.

I use 4 skills-

-Foraging-lvl2
-Unarmed-lvl10
-Pick Locks-Lvl3
-Alchemy-Lvl1

Out of all those skills the only one that might prove to be useless is alchemy. I dont know if potionmaking will be useful with a monk/ranger combo. I only took foraging so i could survive without food. I'm still considering what will be a last skill, hide or silent. Silent might be better because it helps you regardless. Hide is not really what i think would be good. Still though, im not sure.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Alchemy can be useful to replace spellcasting for buffing and healing your character. Of course this assumes that you find the correct ingredients.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

SpottedShroom wrote:
Rowanas wrote:Eurgh. Warmoth would be a much better weapon if it didn't come with a +1 to poison. It's more like a penalty to stop the bow being enchanted too much and allowing it to become too powerful.
Without the poison, it's just a 6 base damage bow, right? There are plenty of those around for not too much money. The best thing about Warmoth for me is its ability to affect ghosts. I think in-game text mentions needing a weapon with bonus damage to harm ghosts, but evidently the poison effect is enough.

In terms of sheer bow awesomeness, I'm waiting to see how good the one in Zeblin's lair is at level 22 :)
Bit late to answer, but no, Warmoth gives +3 bow skill, so it's a plain, ordinary 6 damage bow that actually adds to your ToHit and Damage straight off the bat. The poison stops you from being able to enchant it with another round of ToHit and Damage and poison does bugger all, so you'd be MUCH better off without the poison.
ManusDei
Council Member

Post by ManusDei »

deathknight1728 wrote: -Foraging-lvl2
-Unarmed-lvl10
-Pick Locks-Lvl3
-Alchemy-Lvl1
Nothing to reduce damage in any way (dodge, armor) ?
Antigrav
Marshall

Post by Antigrav »

deathknight1728 wrote:I am currently playing a monk/ranger type character and having a hell of a lot of fun.

I use 4 skills-

-Foraging-lvl2
-Unarmed-lvl10
-Pick Locks-Lvl3
-Alchemy-Lvl1

Out of all those skills the only one that might prove to be useless is alchemy. I dont know if potionmaking will be useful with a monk/ranger combo. I only took foraging so i could survive without food. I'm still considering what will be a last skill, hide or silent. Silent might be better because it helps you regardless. Hide is not really what i think would be good. Still though, im not sure.
How about a ranged attack? I trained my monk in thrown weapons just because it seemed appropriate and he had lots of strength.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Thrown is actually pretty hardcore. Even the basic weapons are as good as mid-late game melee weapons and the most vicious of them are base 15, with room for improvement. Added to that, they're ranged, so you don't have to get up close.

The only penalty is that a fight worth of javelins will set you back many, many lbs, they're expensive and the feat for thrown weapons is utter poo.