Character hacking...how important is it?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!

Should we allow character hacking with future games?

Hacking character files should NOT be allowed!
12%
If I want to hack my character, it's my right!
88%

Total votes: 59

CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Character hacking...how important is it?

Post by CrazyBernie »

Usually there's a ROLF or a WTF (or both) attached in there somewhere. Like OMGROLFWTFBBQ!!!!
Antigrav
Marshall

Post by Antigrav »

I didn't vote, as I certainly don't think hacking a save file is anyone's right. However, once I'm familiar with a game system, I do like to fiddle around. And as I like to customize my characters quite a bit, it's nice to be able to do so without grinding for training cash.

Also, all the features that garner so many complaints (lack of a map, weakness of certain skills compared to others, ineffectiveness of some weapons compared to others), I can adjust all of those things to my liking. It doesn't mean I play a godlike character from level 1. Playability does require a challenge. In my case, however, I feel that a berserker-type character shouldn't be completely inept with a hammer when he's ludicrously effective with an axe. And if I can dodge attacks 1% of the time in real life, why shouldn't my warrior character?

That said, I wouldn't even be miffed if I had to do everything the more time-consuming way. I would probably just play less.
Viktoras
Marshall

Post by Viktoras »

I've ONLY just recently become familiar with this series of games and so feel I lack any qualifications to vote. However, having said that and since u did ask for all input - I prefer the no hack gameplay...but do enjoy the ability to hack for TESTING purposes. At times I wonder if a certain type of design is effective. It's nice to be able to do a quick test (hack) to figure that out before spending HOURS and HOURS of gameplay on developing the character. Again i prefer to play the game with no edits/hacks. So i would have to VOTE for keeping the ability.
Last edited by Viktoras on November 5th, 2010, 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never trust a grinning DM!!
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

It's important to me because it simplifies testing of different characters and the game engine to see how things work. It saves me time (primarily on the testing end), and makes the time I do choose to spend more enjoyable.
Sajen
Apprentice

Post by Sajen »

After playing through the game normally for the first play through, I like to give my character unlimited gold on the second play through.
I do this in all the rpgs I play, and it makes the game fun for me to buy all the goodies in the shops that I want and go through the game without worrying about gold.

If the next game in the Eschalon series didn't allow me to do this, then I would have to pass on it. And that would be too bad, because I enjoy this style of old school game play quite a bit and want to support game developers who make these kinds of games.
Viktoras
Marshall

Post by Viktoras »

Sajen wrote:After playing through the game normally for the first play through, I like to give my character unlimited gold on the second play through.
I do something similar AT TIMES. After having played the game through...once or twice or thrice :P I do enjoy the ability to do something wild....like say....start out with ONLY a bow.....but give the dude an EPIC bow...that sort of stuff....it's fun AFTER you've played through the game and are looking for just some kinda funny game play.
Never trust a grinning DM!!
Iane
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Iane »

Like xolotl I've been playing around with Hex editors and Action Replay carts since the Amiga days and in some cases had more fun doing that than actually playing the game.

I see nothing wrong if someone wants to play around with there character file :D
lockjaw
Initiate

Post by lockjaw »

I very rarely do it, but sometimes it's very useful to reduce tedium.

Like when you're in Fathamurk and running out of food :-)
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

I've really never felt the desire to edit my character in Eschalon... or in any other game, really... except for Avernum 5 & 6 but only because A5 & A6 allow you to do so. The desire is created by the option's presence.

Anyhow... I'll vote for including the ability to edit stats ONLY if the character editor allows you to lower your stats as well as raise them . . . for those who either 1. feel, at some point, that they made a mistake in their character build (a big issue with E2) and want to fix it without going back to the beginning, or 2. want to balance bonuses with penalties, so they don't feel like they're cheating or they just want to keep the game balanced.

...Or 3. if they want to 'correct' what they see as improper balancing, or whatever: they want to make up for this by increasing a skill/stat that they think was unfairly restrained and/or decrease one that they think makes the game too easy or whatever.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Elwro
Senior Steward

Post by Elwro »

Please don't block character hacking. I've been fiddling with Hex editors and games since the original Pirates! and SimCity, and I still love to do it from time to time... I don't believe there's any harm in this.
MaximB
Senior Steward

Post by MaximB »

As long as it's a single player game, let the player do what he wants.
It's basically the same as cheat codes in many other games (I remember ruining many FPS games by cheating, it was much less fun - so I no longer do it).
hermitt
Pledge

Post by hermitt »

after beating the game several times i just want to check that annoying chest so...
but it was just a random chest
Attachments
chest.jpg
chest.jpg (154.94 KiB) Viewed 6342 times
RobC04
Initiate

Post by RobC04 »

I voted it is ok to hack your character, but I prefer not to do it for my own.
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by woem »

I'm not for hacks, and this game is no other. If you should decide to allow modding/hacking then I would mention this on the end score screen as well. This is only fair when comparing scores.
Shimoza
Initiate

Post by Shimoza »

I believe some people may want to hack the char for some reason, so if you try to stop them, well... They will manage it anyway.

As for me, this game is too short to speed it up.