Anyone have any problem with...

Here's where all things related to Book III are being discussed!
Lightzy
Initiate

Re: Anyone have any problem with...

Post by Lightzy »

I do not like this at all.

Skills are handicapped before the skill-feats, which is why ppl rush to them.
This way you have to pigeonhole your character.
Why then use an open, flexible skill system if you're going to handicap flexibility?

There has to be a better way.
I suggest making skill feats only granted by completing quests, and these quests don't have to be related to your level or skill at all (you can adjust the difficulty of the quest, thus the progression of feats).

Having feats independent of skill is a much nicer way to play it. more open.
And it penalizes in a fun way instead of an annoying gamey way, and this is why:
You will get the feat, but your skill might not be very high, so you might want to raise it to make the whole thing more useful. But if it's the other way around it's like 'no, sorry, u can't have this unless u play a dedicated mage/fighter/etc"
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

Lightzy wrote:I do not like this at all.
Then you'll be happy to have read the part where BW says he dropped these changes. ;-)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

I did drop this, but added something else when the forums were down. Nothing big, but it's a change, and I am going to stick to it because I like it and it makes sense.

Wanna here about it or just discover it on launch day? :mrgreen:
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Wanna here about it or just discover it on launch day? :mrgreen:
Surprise on launch day followed by a flame war over the change. :)
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:I did drop this, but added something else when the forums were down. Nothing big, but it's a change, and I am going to stick to it because I like it and it makes sense.

I'm with Randomizer, except for the flame part. I'll stand here in my flame retardant ancient dragon skin armor and let other people flame. ;-)
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:I did drop this, but added something else when the forums were down. Nothing big, but it's a change, and I am going to stick to it because I like it and it makes sense.

I'm with Randomizer, except for the flame part. I'll stand here in my flame retardant ancient dragon skin armor and let other people flame. ;-)
I'll cast Element Armor and join the defense! :)
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
That is a really tough question to answer. I'm dying of curiosity, but am also afraid of spoiling the "wow, this is new and fun" feeling with Book III.

Also, as basically a Mac user, launch day is bittersweet for me. I have to leave the forums until the Mac version comes out so I don't accidentally bump into any spoilers.
blatherbeard
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by blatherbeard »

While i wouldnt be a fan of the changes you had suggested im with most people who are buying the game no matter what anyway ;)
The armies joined in a bloody battle on this fine day, then storm clouds broke, and it rained.

So they all went home.---Story knots within blatherbeards Beard.
SharpXe
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by SharpXe »

you really shoud not obstruct minmaxing, if some player want to pool everything into dex and archery, it's his decision.

It will be much better to include lots of different usefull skills or add some kind of soft minmax penalty, like 3% of skill effect for every level that exceed character level, something like this will make minmaxing inefficiend but wont punish player in longrun, since penalty will be decreased with each levelup.
Leezar
Marshall

Post by Leezar »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:BOOK III CHANGES:
*Skill Feats begin at Skill level 15 instead of Skill level 10.
Yes please, punish us more for wanting diversification. This is such a good idea especially since you only have only one character throughout the game so the reward for crawling into the furtherst reach of the hidden cave guarded by a monstrosity from the nether realmz is useless 4/5 times.
Roughly at the same time I penetrate your betrothed, you will be penetrated by this sharpened pole
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Leezar wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:BOOK III CHANGES:
*Skill Feats begin at Skill level 15 instead of Skill level 10.
Yes please, punish us more for wanting diversification. This is such a good idea especially since you only have only one character throughout the game so the reward for crawling into the furtherst reach of the hidden cave guarded by a monstrosity from the nether realmz is useless 4/5 times.
Dude, sarcasm? I didn't make this change. Ultimately, it wouldn't have had any real affect anyway.

Working with the Alpha testers, I've been tweaking the game to allow min-maxers to have their way while working in balancing elements to keep it challenging for everyone. I still feel like (in Book III) having a well-rounded character with multiple skills is the "best" way to play, but everyone will develop their own method, and some character builds do wok better than others.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:I still feel like (in Book III) having a well-rounded character with multiple skills is the "best" way to play, but everyone will develop their own method, and some character builds do wok better than others.
Cooking is a new skill? I can't wait!
I think I could be really into a CRPG that had Cooking as a vital skill.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Lord_P
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Lord_P »

Evnissyen wrote:
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:I still feel like (in Book III) having a well-rounded character with multiple skills is the "best" way to play, but everyone will develop their own method, and some character builds do wok better than others.
Cooking is a new skill? I can't wait!
RuneScape? :lol:

That's an MMORPG, Lord_P
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Evnissyen wrote:
Prismatic Maelstrom wrote: Cooking is a new skill? I can't wait!
Only men would think adding cooking is a good idea :roll:
Speaking as one who has done more than her share of cooking, I can only say that I would insist that BW add shaving if he adds cooking.
Morgan Terror
Steward

Post by Morgan Terror »

Somehow, i don't think our adventurer would mind being all that beardy.

I've always had this weird impression of my characters who'd walk into town at odd hours, sell a crapton of mysteriously obtained weapons and armor and then dissapear again for some random period of time to murder some more of the local wildlife. I can't imagine what the townspeople think of me.