Best Finds! Early, mid, and late game.

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Opunaesala
Apprentice

Best Finds! Early, mid, and late game.

Post by Opunaesala »

Not many new topics, thought I'd start one.

I started a new warrior recently and found a heavy belt +2 (5 armor class total! better than the body armor I had at the time) and a steel falcata (4 base damage) while killing thugs on the salty coast. Some of the best drops for a fighter that early on I've had so far.

This thread is for sharing details on awesome items you have found, be sure to show details on why it was awesome when you found it!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Sometimes I think the game has a perverse sense of humor. I keep getting +2 heavy armor items in the beginning for my mage and rogue characters. For instance steel plated gloves (armor base 4) and rusty iron plate +2 (armor 6) from thug drops in the Salt Coast.

I did get a studded leather jerkin +2 doing the wine cellar in Elderhollow.
Opunaesala
Apprentice

Post by Opunaesala »

I've noticed that too with my warrior. I keep finding items with plus to divination or plus to stats that I don't care about.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

Well, to this I say...why would you only find stuff useful to your character? Do you think all the enemies wear stuff they think you should be able to use if they kill them?
Opunaesala
Apprentice

Post by Opunaesala »

Rune_74 wrote:Well, to this I say...why would you only find stuff useful to your character? Do you think all the enemies wear stuff they think you should be able to use if they kill them?
No, no, no, no, I get that. The point is, I tend to find a lot of mage stuff while playing a fighter and a lot of fighter stuff while playing a mage. Like the game is toying with me or something. Sells for a lot of money, which is cool though.
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

By the end of the game my paladin used a diamond-edged claymore with a base of 9 that I imbued to +2 toHit +2 damage and I coupled that with the Ring of the Assassin (+5 toHit +2 damage) and Amulet of accuracy (+3 toHit). He also by the end of the game had

Adamantine Chest Plate
Adamatine Plate Boots
Adamatine Plate Guantlets
Adamatine Great Shield

There is a complete set of Adamantine armor and weapons in the game that you can imbue. If you can find these items and imbue them and couple it with leatherskin + 3 or Stoneskin you can be a virtual walking tank.

I am playing the game as a mage now and yes the program has a perverse sense of humor. I keep getting armor and swords for fighters, which is Ok I sell it all for cash so I can buy spells and potions.
History is written by the winners!
Opunaesala
Apprentice

Post by Opunaesala »

My last warrior ended with 2 rings of the assasin an amulet that had plus to swords and strength. And some heavy bracers of the assasin that were also pretty sweet. I didn't finish the game though as I accidently screwed up a quest by having someone important get angry at me without realizing it then saving. That was uncool.
Toxic
Initiate

Post by Toxic »

I'm towards the end game, and a shopkeeper just sold me a pair of Admintine boots with +3 armor. 2800gp

Nice
realmzmaster
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by realmzmaster »

I just finished the game for the second time. This time I played a mage. The neatest item I found was Amulet of Protection +5. This is a great item especially if your are a mage.
History is written by the winners!
Al3xand3r
Apprentice

Post by Al3xand3r »

You can get a Divine Ore Great Sword if you play your cards right in Blackwater. Base damage 11 but it's quite heavy at 12lbs so there's some switching around to do for spell casters. Value is 2700 without imbuing it.

I don't know if it affects the main storyline but my choices there did come back to haunt me at one point. Thanks for another memorable moment Wrangler, you know what I'm talking about probably!

Other than that, I was lucky and found a Diamond Studded Jerkin. Light Armor, 3lbs, Base Armor 5. Also got Adamantine Bracers, Light Armor, 1.5 lbs, Base Armor 4.
Slarty
Marshall

Post by Slarty »

There seem to be five different tiers of item quality. You start out with random items (in chests & shops) drawing only from tier 1. At levels 3, 6, 9, and 15 -- I think -- the next tier opens up as well. The very best weapons and armor are mostly in the last tier, but most of the stat-increasing equipment opens up at levels 6 or 9. Some notable finds:

lv 3 - merchant book
lv 6 - weapon books, alchemy book, alchemy rings, wisdom rings, int hat
lv 9 - armor and magic books, assassin rings, warlord gauntlets, int rings

There are of course also unique items that do not appear in any of the random tiers.
Last edited by Slarty on December 29th, 2007, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ameefmu
Initiate

Post by Ameefmu »

So far, i havent found many amazing items.
Just a couple of '+1's and '+2's.

But, i was on the salty coast, having just killed a thug.
I quicksaved, then looted an acid and some coins, somehow managed to explode myself with a barrel.
Reloaded the quicksave, and got a Survivalist cloak and Trapper's gloves from the same loot that gave me junk last time.

So the loot system is rerolled every time you resume a saved game?
I dont want to start gambling, resuming an old save file every time i get junk when i loot, major time sink :P

Summary: Long and pointless.
What is an Ameefmu?
star
Initiate

Post by star »

my best drops so far ( im lvl 6) hah are 2 brewmasters rings worth like 600 gold.
Bartek
Initiate

Post by Bartek »

I found two Loremaster Rings in one chest in the Ossuary - very useful.
After getting the Great bow from Ossouary I decided to learn a bit of archery, quickly afer that, I found the bracers which give +4 to archery and +5 to hit bonus :)
Necromis
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Necromis »

do you know if the great bow is a fixed drop or random there?
The Quickest way to a man's heart is thru his back.