Interface suggestion

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Unbeliever
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Interface suggestion

Post by Unbeliever »

It's probably too late to add as a patch for Book I -- but there's one minor annoyance that seems like it ought to be easily fixable, and that has to do with shields.

When you have a lit torch, you can still equip a two-handed weapon. If you go to actually attack with it, the torch goes out, since you can't use a torch and a two-handed weapon at the same time. Makes sense.

Shields should work like that. I should still be able to equip a two-handed weapon, while a shield is in place. If I go to USE the two-handed weapon, the game should let me -- just include a message in the text area informing me that the shield can't be used defensively in the same turn (i.e. my AC would not take the shield into account for that turn).

This would allow me to use the ENTER key to swap between a sword and a bow, while wearing a shield. As long as I'm cool sacrificing the AC for the rounds I'm actually shooting arrows, that should be fine.

(I *HATE* dragging the shield back and forth to my inventory whenever I need to swap for my bow!)

Torch/shield interaction should act the same way -- when I light a torch, just toss in a message informing me that my shield won't be used defensively while the torch is lit. Voila. The shield can stay in place. :)

Any thoughts?
Bluthand
Initiate

Re: Interface suggestion

Post by Bluthand »

Unbeliever wrote:I *HATE* dragging the shield back and forth to my inventory whenever I need to swap for my bow!
I completely agree! I already complained about that in other threads.

Regarding the torch: If you carry a sword and shield ready (in your hands), you can't hold a torch, but If you carry a bow (without arrow), you can. If the ready position of the shield would be on your back, you could hold a torch and eventually switch to a bow easily.

Just my two cents...

Regards,
B.
Daemian Lucifer
Senior Steward

Post by Daemian Lucifer »

Bluthand wrote: Regarding the torch: If you carry a sword and shield ready (in your hands), you can't hold a torch, but If you carry a bow (without arrow), you can. If the ready position of the shield would be on your back, you could hold a torch and eventually switch to a bow easily.
Depends on the shield actually.There are shields that are strapped to the arm and thus leave the hand free to hold any object.
Bluthand
Initiate

Post by Bluthand »

Daemian Lucifer wrote: Depends on the shield actually.There are shields that are strapped to the arm and thus leave the hand free to hold any object.
You are right. The game could respect that as well and it would make it harder to choose your shield...

BTW. I didn't find any(?) magic shield in the game or at least can't remember. I ended up with a normal shield of the second biggest size.

Regards,
B.
Siemova
Apprentice

Post by Siemova »

I love both of those ideas (disable large hand-held shields while using a bow or torch rather than forcing you to manually remove them, but allow arm-mounted bucklers and such to be used concurrently). Please, Basilisk, at least consider this for Book II!
"What you embrace is what you become."
joed100
Pledge

Post by joed100 »

Unbeliever wrote:This would allow me to use the ENTER key to swap between a sword and a bow, while wearing a shield. As long as I'm cool sacrificing the AC for the rounds I'm actually shooting arrows, that should be fine.

(I *HATE* dragging the shield back and forth to my inventory whenever I need to swap for my bow!)
I agree 100%. That is (so far) my one annoyance with the game (overall it's a great game though).

- Joe
sier
Initiate

Post by sier »

Bluthand wrote: BTW. I didn't find any(?) magic shield in the game or at least can't remember. I ended up with a normal shield of the second biggest size.
I haven't found one either. Build my own with lvl 20 alchemy :wink: