[Project] Eschalon Book I Automap

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Barchiesi
Initiate

[Project] Eschalon Book I Automap

Post by Barchiesi »

Hello. I noticed that sometimes I found it hard to find my way through the world in Eschalon Book I. Of course it could of been only me, knowing my scarce old-school RPG experience. So I decided to start a little project. Most people play in windowed mode (I presume), so usually there is plenty of room on the screen to have a little program that works the same way as automap for Ultima Online. What it is is basically a program that tracks users movements and displays a dot on a map that provides also extra information like directions to quest objectives and monster details.
So i set my cartography to 30 (via hexeditor) and started exploring completely every map file. So far I have completed 7 maps. Then I imported them into The Gimp and am starting to put them together like a puzzle, and also filling in the blank spots created by forests and etc.
Preview {edited 13-6-08} :
Now this is where you guys can help me. Basically whats left to do is acquire the remaining maps (in total there are 18 + dungeons) and then start labeling them with information.
I haven't completed the game yet (just started rescue mission in Vela) so I don't have access to all maps. If you want to help me you can start exploring the missing ones. Just set cartoraphy so something high (I will gladly do it for you, pass the char files) and move around the whole map. Then in the save folder there should be many files called x.opq, where "x" is the map number. I also need the dungeons maps, also files with the opq extensions.

Map files: (asterisk means almost completed)
G - Grimhold
14 - Barrier Range Region; Bordertown
15 - Northeast Thaemore; Shadowmirk
22 - Vela
23 - Barron's Thicket
24 - Northern Tangletree; Lilith's House
32 - Blackwater
33 - Western Tangletree
34 - Central Tangletree
35 - South Parish; Aridell, Elderhollow (where you wake up), Grimhold East
41 - Rotwood; Giant's Village
42 - Northern Crakamir
43 - Northeastern Crakamir; Loneloft, South Gate
44 - West Salt Coast; Tangletree Ossuary
45 - East Salt Coast
51 - Western Crakamir; Goblin Citadel
52 - Eastern Crakamir
53 - Gulf of Madria; Lighthouse

I will then need people to run through the game and write locations names, monster encounters, quest keypoints etc

All help will be highly appreciated and credited for. Thanks in advance, I hope many will help.

Gimp and photoshop files

Code: Select all

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FXGOWM9X
Last edited by Barchiesi on June 13th, 2008, 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: [Project] Eschalon Book I Automap

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Actually, this has been done. I tried to find it doing a search but could locate it. Back in January (give or take a whole month) one of our clever members stitched the whole world together just as you are doing. (Sorry, can't remember who did it!)

But don't let that stop you, Barchiesi! Since I can't find the earlier post (or if the image has been removed) then some of our newer members may enjoy your efforts!
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Barchiesi
Initiate

Post by Barchiesi »

I admit, I was surprised that no one had done it before. Then I searched as you did and couldn't find anything...
I will continue then, right now I'm doing Western Tangletree. So if anyone wants to help, avoid that map. Do the dungeons
Stalfos
Apprentice

Post by Stalfos »

After a few minutes mannually searching the forum... Here is the post with the map...

http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... ?f=3&t=700
If you find that some part are not detailed enough, I stuck with 19 in cartography and could provide with details... note that there will be chest and doorways.

Just a question like that... is there any way to rebuilt the keyword database?? I thought there was, but it would take massive time... :?
Hyrkali
Freelance Web Developer @ NickoLabs
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Stalfos wrote:After a few minutes mannually searching the forum... Here is the post with the map...

http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/vie ... ?f=3&t=700
If you find that some part are not detailed enough, I stuck with 19 in cartography and could provide with details... note that there will be chest and doorways.

Just a question like that... is there any way to rebuilt the keyword database?? I thought there was, but it would take massive time... :?

Yes, that's the map I remembered..and had printed out to help me get around when replaying.

As far as I know, no one has done the dungeons yet, so that might prove to be very helpful. We can see if we missed something! :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Barchiesi
Initiate

Post by Barchiesi »

That map is actually pretty good, but no one has labelled anything yet. That would really help, like knowing the location of some secondary quest objective etc.. And then we will add dungeons.
Stalfos
Apprentice

Post by Stalfos »

Check on page 2, there are SOME labels on the map... but you are pretty right about dungeons though...
Hyrkali
Freelance Web Developer @ NickoLabs
coolio13
Initiate

Post by coolio13 »

About cartography, I noticed that when I put my scouts sandals on my map becomes more details as my cartography level is higher, duh. What I don't understand is why I would redraw my automap with less details when I take the sandals off. Really fustrates me that I have to keep shoes on with less armor rating just so I don't have to redraw the map. I don't know, I guess I am missing the something here.
coolio13
Initiate

Post by coolio13 »

Thanks brother! :oops: