Forum changes coming...

Movies, politics, the inevitable collapse of our universe... whatever we're talking about, you're welcome to join the conversation!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Forum changes coming...

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Not to fear, they aren't going to be huge but they are necessary.

The "Dark Imperial" color theme that is the default of these forums is out-of-date. It is causing some problem with a number of features (such as the polls not working). That means the theme needs to be updated. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as just going in and updating some files. The forum themes consist of many, many files that have a lot of custom functions. So, the best solution is just to find a new theme compatible with the latest version of our forum software, then modify it to our liking.

What does that mean for you? Nothing really, but be aware you will likely see some odd colors and layouts pop up from time-to-time over the next week. Just ignore it if you can.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Forum changes coming...

Post by CrazyBernie »

Sweeet! Maybe I'll get my "View Active Topics" back!

Hooray for being too lazy to manually check a forum section!! :mrgreen:
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

I have the board appearance to a basic setting so I don't have to look at a dark background. Less after images when I change sites.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Oh dear. :( I kinda like the dark and mysterious feel. I'll miss it. Oh well, just have to get used to it as I always have to with all these new fangled devices coming out these days. :?
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Dragonlady wrote:Oh dear. :( I kinda like the dark and mysterious feel. I'll miss it. Oh well, just have to get used to it as I always have to with all these new fangled devices coming out these days. :?
No worries, Dragonlady. We'll keep the updated theme rather dark (sorry Randomizer).
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:Oh dear. :( I kinda like the dark and mysterious feel. I'll miss it. Oh well, just have to get used to it as I always have to with all these new fangled devices coming out these days. :?
No worries, Dragonlady. We'll keep the updated theme rather dark (sorry Randomizer).
That's good news! :mrgreen:

I don't care about any glitches or odd colours, as long as the final theme is worth them. And I'm sure it will!

Good luck BW!
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

What does that mean for you? Nothing really, but be aware you will likely see some odd colors and layouts pop up from time-to-time over the next week. Just ignore it if you can.
Will they hurt me, BW? I don't wanna get hurt. :?

I'll try to ignore them, so long as they don't try to hurt me.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

For those who like to "beta test", go into your User Control Panel and select the style "DarkFantasy". This is the new theme I am thinking of going to.

Notice that it still needs a lot of minor color adjustments and a few new icons, but the layout and overall tone would remain pretty much as-is.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:For those who like to "beta test", go into your User Control Panel and select the style "DarkFantasy". This is the new theme I am thinking of going to.

Notice that it still needs a lot of minor color adjustments and a few new icons, but the layout and overall tone would remain pretty much as-is.
It's alright I guess. I'm currantly using Dark Imperial. shrug.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:For those who like to "beta test", go into your User Control Panel and select the style "DarkFantasy". This is the new theme I am thinking of going to.

I've chosen DarkFantasy and it's looking pretty good.
Well done BW!

Keep up the good work! :P
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

King_ov_Death wrote:

Well done BW!

Like Dragonlady, I think I prefer the original 'Dark Imperial' theme in terms of its overall look.

That said, I can already see that 'DarkFantasy' is superior in several aspects - for example, in the new theme quoting-within-quoting is no longer broken as it was before.

But I think I liked how each of the forums looked under the old 'Dark Imperial' theme better. [shrug] :roll: :wink:
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

IJBall wrote:
King_ov_Death wrote:

Well done BW!

Like Dragonlady, I think I prefer the original 'Dark Imperial' theme in terms of its overall look.

That said, I can already see that 'DarkFantasy' is superior in several aspects - for example, in the new theme quoting-within-quoting is no longer broken as it was before.

But I think I liked how each of the forums looked under the old 'Dark Imperial' theme better. [shrug] :roll: :wink:
Me too. But remember, color tweaks can be made- I've been making adjustments all day. We'll get it to everyone's liking eventually.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Me too. But remember, color tweaks can be made- I've been making adjustments all day. We'll get it to everyone's liking eventually.
Cool.

One "bug" I've already noticed under the new theme - unless I'm missing something obvious, the User Control Panel link disappears in the new theme!

I had to logout, login again (which is still handled under the old theme), and then quickly hit the User Control Panel link that shows up just after login but before I got passed along to the Board Index (where the link is either gone, or invisible, at the Board Index page under the new theme), so I could change back to 'Dark Imperial'.

Just so you know! :)
King_ov_Death
Senior Council Member

Post by King_ov_Death »

Dark Imperial looked pretty good, but I like DarkFantasy more...

But I won't complain if any change is made (unless BW makes a crazy turn like giving all the forum a pink tone, or something like that, which doesn't seem possible). :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good luck!
IJBall wrote:
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Me too. But remember, color tweaks can be made- I've been making adjustments all day. We'll get it to everyone's liking eventually.
Cool.

One "bug" I've already noticed under the new theme - unless I'm missing something obvious, the User Control Panel link disappears in the new theme!

I had to logout, login again (which is still handled under the old theme), and then quickly hit the User Control Panel link that shows up just after login but before I got passed along to the Board Index (where the link is either gone, or invisible, at the Board Index page under the new theme), so I could change back to 'Dark Imperial'.

It didn't happen to me. How strange... :?

The User Control Panel is opened via the "UCP" button at the top of the page, between "FAQ" and "MEMBERS".
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

King_ov_Death wrote:
IJBall wrote:One "bug" I've already noticed under the new theme - unless I'm missing something obvious, the User Control Panel link disappears in the new theme!

It didn't happen to me. How strange... :?

The User Control Panel is opened via the "UCP" button at the top of the page, between "FAQ" and "MEMBERS".
Ah, that would explain the confusion on my part.

I would advising relabeling that button, then, so its purpose is a little more clear. 'Cos I had no idea that "UCP" stood for "User Control Panel"!

Maybe it could be relabeled "Preferences" or something?... :wink: