Eschalon: Book II Reviews!

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Sajen
Apprentice

Re: Eschalon: Book II Reviews!

Post by Sajen »

yea, this guy obviously didn't like the game. Oh well, its just an opinion. I expect this game does have limited appeal, but I think it is a great game.

And they (meaning the big name rpg developers) should bring this style of rpg back to the people, its long overdue. We have enough 3d rpgs with pretty graphics as the focus already.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Interesting.

Game Debate is the only website that asked for a copy of the game for review and in the same email asked if we'd care to spend some of our advertising budget with them. I said I would consider them as a possibility for advertising.

I wonder if the review would have been better had I bought some banner space from them. :shock:
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

That is pathetic, why would you ask for a review build and ask if you want to pay for advertising....I have never even heard of that website.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

"Eschalon: Book III !!!! Now with extra mustard!!!"

Seriously though, Baldur's Gate had some nice graphics, but it's hard to compare the two... considering the hand drawn vs tiled backgrounds. Although BG had horribly drawn characters...

I told you Book II should have had tanks... :mrgreen:
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Jedi_Learner wrote:
Squee wrote:The world has moved on. Fallout 1 was great fun - God knows I sunk enough hours into it - but Fallout 3 is prettier and, yes, more immersive because of it.
What the fuck is this shit?
Heh... he's just stating how the big boys in the industry play these days, and probably how he gets paid. He just (purposely) skips over the fact good gameplay and/or a good story can be just as immersive.
Sslaxx
Council Member

Post by Sslaxx »

Very much a sad state of affairs, CB. But hardly atypical.

Wasn't the first Kane and Lynch game afflicted by some scandal regarding paid reviews?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Here is legitimate review: 8/10 from Game Reactor

http://www.gamereactor.fi/arviot/76777/ ... :+Book+II/
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Damnit. My phone doesn't automatically translate the webpage. And they say Google is trying to take over the world. Pfffft.
corwin
Apprentice

Post by corwin »

I'm 2/3 of the way through the game. A review will be coming at RPGWatch once one or more of us completes the game. (And we bought our own copies) :)
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Here is legitimate review: 8/10 from Game Reactor

http://www.gamereactor.fi/arviot/76777/ ... :+Book+II/
Anyone care to post the translation here? I'd love to read it.
Rune_74
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by Rune_74 »

corwin wrote:I'm 2/3 of the way through the game. A review will be coming at RPGWatch once one or more of us completes the game. (And we bought our own copies) :)
Hmmm, that better mean you love it;)
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Here is what Google Translate came up with:
Estimate
Eschalon: Book II
Published 26/05/2010
Author: Jori Virtanen
This is an advertisement:

Many RPG fans have not been fully satisfied with the current games, like mess up the character development and the cavities komppaamista real-time third-person battle. Pre-canned character classes and a loose level of difficulty have been replaced by the freedom to succeed and fail. Fortunately, some Naavapartojen heikäläisistä I think the mystical secrets of game design. Formidable old jääristä consisting of Basilisk Games' latest output, Eschalon: Book 2, is so old school municipality that the current old school then sat still in pre-school.

The first part of the series introduced the vast majority of Eschalon: Book II: properties continue to be seen. Already at the outset to create a character from the existing games, their freedom. Ready for character classes like a warrior or magic does not exist, but capabilities are selected fairly comprehensive list. Abilities can be found in the management of their branches to different selviytymistaitoihin, alchemy and magic. Middle battle priest? Succeeds. Magician Ranger? Let go. Freedom comes with responsibility also well known, and fully selviytymiskyvyttömän character creation is quite possible the game overall because of the difficulty level. Especially close fought game which could be the beginning of difficult to do without a basic level of parannusloitsua because pikkuvekkejä will continuously and parannusputelit are scarce and expensive even then. A series of first-time it might be useful to make a character, or a couple just for the experiment because of the possible combinations of operating before the discovery.

Side, the story will continue loosely Eschalonin world's first rescue operation jälkilöylyissä. The Magic Stone is kiikutettu right place, but it is not there for a long time it thrive. Minotaurikansa see nyysii timangin kavioihinsa own, taking the whole Thaermoren brink of chaos. Fisherman's life, celebrating the old and the blissfully lost the ability player is withdrawn from the soup, and not return to the kingdom beside kiiskien longer. The plot is quite satisfactory, multiplied by the text through the fantasy sets, which is guided by the following regions free samoilua notwithstanding. A word of caution collector of culture for children: everything in place naulaamatonta can not nyysiä freely. Even the story the characters are when they see me on the theft and their death can not stop the flow of the plot tykkänään. So if the keys to burn, make it hidden.

Everything else in addition to audio-visual side is a good old fashioned way. A relatively modest fixed 1024x768 resolution, a rotating two-dimensional game is quite small and pretty functional. Some of the incantations efekteistä is even beautiful. The exhibition does not sound great no, but the atmospheric music and a well ynähdykset and explosions to keep a good basic level above the ear side. The user interface has been improved first part, but it is still somewhat clumsy, for example, a charmer, the shortcuts and accessories for replacement. Due to the implementation of the game is a measure of the current tree, very lightweight, and runs very nicely even though miniläppärissä.

As the whole Eschalon: Book II, the battle is also quite a turn-based. Every pitch, hit, spell, and the drum base sorkkiminen takes turn. Easier battles go straight tökkimällä next opponent, but in more severe will carefully consider what stands and what is using which will turn. The enemy should not give too many free beats too haahuilun why. Difficulty level is from the very beginning quite high, and the inexperienced adventurer finds himself quickly to fight against the mass of the superiority already start outside the village. Operating range of equipment a little easier and the ability to list improves. Will be more tactical possibilities and the battle begins iskostumaan spine.

Magic is divided into two different caste and within the various spells and their power classes. Pappistaikuus focuses on self-ehostamiseen and the destruction of undead, and is ideal for the coming battle as a friend. Elementaalitaikuus contains more jyskettä, such as direct injury to the offending fireballs. Each spell can be a pull for six different active stage, where the skills and loitsupisteet it is sufficient.

Kirveenheiluttelun arkisemmat threats, but also can take the path of Protest. Self-improvement and magical power in addition to the adequacy of the player must drag viineriä and rehydrate the face evenly, as the threat of hunger or thirst first knocked out power struggle and then the entire torso. Below the sky can camp out relatively freely, but may become yövieraat kutittamaan toes tusks or sapelein. Rooming houses can sleep safely, but the bed is not free. Condition of equipment will need to make sure it is hard earned, or (or translated) into the hands of a magic sword crumbles forever. Blacksmiths paikkaavat goods against payment, but the best of goods taken to correct some of its prime cost, that luolakomppauksessa earned kopecks often disappear village blacksmith for almost the entire recreation fund.

If today's hectic games wiggle and höveli nyppivät difficulty level, enter the Basilisk Games' series a chance. Wholehearted old-school role-playing game offers many hours monituisia fantasiaromppaamista, luolakomppaamista and countless deaths in the various traps and monsters involved. Just complete the presentation Eschalon: Book II is not, but fans of the style of game it is just plain timangia. The game the score reflects precisely this - the scoring scale, this time it is more nostalgia than actual meter symbol of the current hit games.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Wow, that translation gave me a headache.
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Krafen wrote:Here is what Google Translate came up with:
Self-improvement and magical power in addition to the adequacy of the player must drag viineriä and rehydrate the face evenly, as the threat of hunger or thirst first knocked out power struggle and then the entire torso.
This sentence is insane! :mrgreen:
Otherwise, good to see such a positive review (I think it's positive...hard to tell :? )
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

It struck me that Google Translate might be a useful tool for creating in-game text. Perhaps a prophecy written in an ancient dialect.