Gothic 2 or Two Worlds?

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.

Do you prefer Gothic 2 or Two Worlds?

Gothic 2 rocks more!
57%
No way, Two Worlds rocks way more!
9%
I vote for cheese!
35%

Total votes: 23

Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Gothic 2 or Two Worlds?

Post by Farwalker »

Hey all,

I've been thinking about trying another older RPG, and wondered if you folks have thoughts on which is better - Gothic 2 or Two Worlds? Please vote, and your comments on the two are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Farwalker
ManusDei
Council Member

Re: Gothic 2 or Two Worlds?

Post by ManusDei »

As of now, I think you should get cheese, looking at the poll :D

Never played either of them, but heard good stuff about the gothic series (I liked Risen a lot, too)
KarlXII
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by KarlXII »

Both games are great.

Two worlds
-----------
+ Better graphics
+ Better equipment and loot, building your character
+ Totally open and accessible world from the beginning

Gothic 2
--------
Very good story
Hard and unforgiving. You often have to save after every single combat.
Immersive story and world, you really get a feeling when accomplishing something.

Both games have great music and a good story (though with an edge to Gothic 2 favour). So, pick the cheapest one :D
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

It's not even close. Gothic 2 is WAY better than Two Worlds. Two Worlds in my opinion is a heavily flawed game while Gothic 2 is one of the best RPGs ever made. Two Worlds may have perrrrtier graphics than Gothic 2 but that's about it, Gothic 2 completely demolishes Two Worlds in every other category.

If you're looking to play an older RPG do yourself a favor and play the Gothic series (might as well start with the first one). The Gothic series offers some of the best story-driven RPGing ever made. And when you're done with that if you're thirsty for more play Risen (the true Gothic 4).
Will Pay For Cloth Map
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

And here I was thinking Gothic 2 was the heavily flawed game... 0_o

I preferred Two-Worlds, but neither compare to the power of cheese!
sirdilznik
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by sirdilznik »

I never got any of the praise for Two Worlds. What is it exactly that makes Two Worlds any good? Is it the absolutely ridiculous system where you can take a couple of sh*tty swords and slap them together using... (I guess duct tape?) ... and make a better sword? [So here I am with this crappy, horribly notched sword with a really dull blade... but wait I also have this other sword which is notched, really dull, and all types of rusty. Now if I put these two swords together and something magical happens *Manifest Destiny moment (the skies open up and a ray of sunshine comes down upon the player and his two said garbage swords)] Is it the horribly atrocious voice acting that makes the really bad voice acting in Gothic I & II seem like Academy Award level acting (In fairness the voice acting and dialogue in Two Worlds is so ridiculously horrid that I actually enjoyed it from a comical standpoint). Is it the dumbass in the cheesy Darth Vader ripoff costume that keeps appearing and giving you instructions?

Granted the game gives you a nice open world to roam and the story about saving your sister would be somewhat cool if it wasn't garbled by some of the cheesiest and worst voice acting I've ever heard (and I've played all the early Gothic games and X and X2, so I know about bad voice acting).

Point is that when I played Two Worlds I saw a game with some definite potential that was HORRIBLY marred by poor presentation and seemed really rushed. My hope is that Two Worlds II addresses and fixed most if not all of these issues.

At the same time, while Gothic 2 did still have poor voice acting (though better than Gothic I, and infinitely better than the atrocity that is voice acting in Two Worlds), the story in Gothic 2 and the choices you had to make with the real consequences they carried made that game truly memorable.

Sorry if I'm continuously trashing Two Worlds but I truly do not understand how it keeps getting praise despite the fact that IMHO it was a fairly bad game.
Will Pay For Cloth Map
KarlXII
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by KarlXII »

I voted for Gothic 2 as the better game, yet I still maintain that Two Worlds is quite good if you give it a chance. It also sports very good music which helsp build up the atmosphere.

But if we´re to bashing games then Arcania A Gothic tale must be choosen as a terribly bad continuation of Gothic 3 and is far inferior to Risen which in itself is better than Two Worlds. I am however waiting for Two Worlds II to arrive since that is the only real RGP released since Risen and Drakensang.
MegaHassan
Steward

Post by MegaHassan »

Gothic 2. For pure sentimental value. I still remember blasting Amon Amarth and Iron Maiden while hacking away gleefully 4 years ago... Awesome game.
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

Appreciate all the input folks!
(So far cheese continues in the lead, closely followed by Gothic 2.)
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

I know little about either one, so voted 'Cheese'. :) Sides I love cheese, Velveeta, cheddar, Jack, Mozzarella, Romano..YUM! :lol:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I see cheese making a breakaway at the last minute for a landslide win!
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

So I've played some Gothic 2 (while eating cheese snacks), fairly enjoyable so far.
The quest experience seems a little low by the time you get past the first town, but they are still interesting. I think I've reached an explore and grind part of the game though, we'll see if it picks up again.

Thanks for your input folks!
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I just bought (technically re-bought) Two Worlds from GoG.com for five bucks. I figure I'd fire it up at some point before picking up Two Worlds 2. I can't thumb my nose at the Gothic die hards though... Gothic 2 Gold Edition is the same price at the moment. :mrgreen:

Of course at that price, either one is a great buy.

I see my Cheese prediction came true, minus the landslide... 0_o
Farwalker
Officer [Silver Rank]
Officer [Silver Rank]

Post by Farwalker »

That's pretty reasonable.
I got a bit tired of Gothic 2 after a while, and put it aside.
GOG had Divine Divinity on for less than 3 bucks recently, so I've been wandering around in that a bit, quite fun.
noname
Marshall

Post by noname »

Got bored with both games myself and didn't finish. Arcania may not be a good continuation of Gothic 3 but it is a fun game in and of itself.