A new adventrurer of Thaermore!

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
thecube
Pledge

A new adventrurer of Thaermore!

Post by thecube »

This is just to congratulate Basilisk Games for a job extremely well done.

I had come across Eschalon : Book I, a long time ago while it was still in development and remember making a mental note about it. Like many metal notes, it was buried, until I stumbled onto the game ( again ) a couple of days ago. I downloaded the demo and as soon as the hour limit ended I purchased a mac version.

I am now in my first run through the game ( just retrieved the Crux along with the pleasant surprise of the fact that the hero's past didn't turn out to be the case of a fallen demi-god or something :wink: ) and looking forward to go on exploring and questing.

This game alone is enough proof that game design always wins against shiny graphics and effects.
Eschalon's graphics and effects are beautifully made by the way.

Keep up the good work Basilisk!
Looking forward to Book III !
tiresius
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: A new adventrurer of Thaermore!

Post by tiresius »

There's an hour limit on the demo?
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

That confused me when he posted that. So far as I know, you can play the demo forever. You just can't go past the first three maps and the two-and-a-half dungeons.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

tiresius wrote:There's an hour limit on the demo?
Depends o where you download the game from...here, we provide a demo and full version separately, but some distributors use just the full version and add a time-limit to it.

...and thanx for the kind words, thecube.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Those time limits, usually an hour, really burn me up. You really can't get much done in that hour. If I can't find it anywhere else to download, I don't buy it. :evil:
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

I couldn't find the manual, so I started the game with no info beyond what I could get from f3 and I think it was f12? By the time I finished messing around with character generation, I had about 20 minutes of play time left! But I was so impressed I bought the game anyway. Yes, Dragonlady, I would have to agree that one-hour time limits suck. Of course, with dial-up, having to download the game twice would suck too. I guess I'll just buy the next game outright. :)
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

Turtle wrote:I couldn't find the manual, so I started the game with no info beyond what I could get from f3 and I think it was f12? By the time I finished messing around with character generation, I had about 20 minutes of play time left! But I was so impressed I bought the game anyway. Yes, Dragonlady, I would have to agree that one-hour time limits suck. Of course, with dial-up, having to download the game twice would suck too. I guess I'll just buy the next game outright. :)
Oh please do buy the game, it's worth it! As for game information, even with demo, theere is a file with the information. You just have to search around the game file or do a "rearrange file" thingy inside it. Then you'll be able to read it. When I first got the demo (okay, beta testing version) I didn't see it at first either. I found it a couple of days later. :D
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Turtle
Council Member

Post by Turtle »

I should have said that I couldn't find the manual at first. I did locate it eventually, with the help of a poster in this forum. It's easier to find something when you believe it exists! By that time, I pretty much knew what I was doing, anyway. It really speaks well for the game design that you can just jump in and intuitively figure out how to interact with this environment--and I am by no means a hard-core gamer!
I did buy the game, just based on the little I saw, and I have not been sorry. I was talking about buying Book II, when it comes out.