"Paladin" Destroyer

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
Zerikin
Initiate

"Paladin" Destroyer

Post by Zerikin »

Here are my fully buffed stats. This was my first completion so I could certainly have optimized a bit more and had strong elemental magic. There was no need for more then 1 pt in heavy armor and I could have saved some stat points in endurance.

Buff list:
L6 Ogre Strength
L6 Nimble
L6 Stone skin
L6 Bless
Enchant Weapon
Chameleon
Misc other buffs

I used no heals, attacks spells or potions of any kind during the battle:
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Re: "Paladin" Destroyer

Post by woem »

Thanks a lot for this post Zerikin! I was never quite sure how to start a healer character although I grasped the concept of defensive spellcasting combined with offensive melee combat. It was really interesting to see how you concentrated on Strength instead of Endurance since most people on this board agree that it's most important to focus on Endurance for a melee combatant. I created a character based on yours, focusing on STR, WIS and PER and so far it's been a breeze! I also started as a virtuous healer and I think it's a great synergy to pick at enemies at a distance with Fleshboil and to finish them off with a Blessed iron mace. I'm definitely going for the DND archetype of a cleric: heavily armored, wielding a bludgeoning weapon and a big shield. (There are no crossbows in Book 1 so I haven't decided what ranged weapon I'll take. So far Fleshboil is doing great). I already picked up Divine Heal, Leatherskin and Cat's Eyes so I'm all set to go. At level 1 I'm casting these babies at level 3 and I just leveled up so I will now go after the sextant with level 4 spells. Awesome!

I must admit the character doesn't as min/maxed as others I've made. The wizard for instance is very straighterforward: you focus on the INT and PER attributes and on the Elemental Arcane and Meditation skills. With a cleric you also need to focus on your physical attributes and skills. Although stats-wise he's not "perfect" he's definitely very effective and playing this character has been the most fun so far, even more than the bow-wielding ranger which usually is my favorite archetype in any RPG.

*Edit* Could you also post your inventory and worn items? I'm very curious to see what items you have equiped.
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

If you are going to regularly use a ranged weapon, then bow and arrows is pretty much the default in terms of ammuniton. Occassional usage can be thrown weapons and it helps with demon oil.
woem
Fellowcraft Apprentice

Post by woem »

I don't plan to regularly use them. The thing is that Fleshboil only harms living creatures, so I can't use it to blow up kegs for instance. I might even go for thrown weapons, just to give them a decent try.
Zerikin
Initiate

Post by Zerikin »

My armor was all the best heavy stuff I could get enchanted +3. I had the warlords gloves, one assassins ring, the +2 str light belt, priest cloak, etc. I'll post a shot of my gear later.

Once you get to Border Town buy level 1 bow and thrown. Demon oils and some arrows come in handy for blowing stuff up. Also with a enchanted bow +hit and enchants up you can actually hit stuff without putting points into the bow skill.

I think an even stronger version of this would be to start with elemental actually since the rank 3 div spells kinda suck. Go for high level elemental magic early game, then later on drop points into the other stuff. Getting PE 30 early for more mana/regen would make it even easier as this hybrid replaces HP with MP and the heal spell. Once I got to late game and had all the good heavy armor with +3 enchants most enemies had a 2% chance to hit me.