Fallout 3

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

There was a comment in one of the previews, from Pete Hines I believe, in which he compared the cluttered disaster of cities to that of "your room". If anything says that FO3 is aimed at the young teen audience, it was that comment.
The more I read about FO3 the better I feel about it though, in the sense that I'm not panicking over having to buy a new system to run it!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Ouch, that is painfull.

My head starts to hurt each time Hines of Howard speak.

My PC can run Oblivion though so im guessing i will be able to run it. I will however be waiting for quite a few reviews and reading what RPG'ers think about it before buying.
Metatron
Initiate

Post by Metatron »

It is sad that the industry is like this now, but why make a truly spectacular game when you can still make obscene profits on a mediocre game with cutting edge graphics? And with far less risk...if you sink funds into developing story and characters (in addition to getting the aforementioned graphics, which is almost necessity in the market) and the game flops, you've lost a lot of money. It is very sad indeed, but that is business for you.

I actually had never really played bethesda games until recently. I bought Oblivion, only to find it did not run on my computer :evil: despite it not being THAT old (well I suppose 2 years is already pretty ancient :roll: ). And then I tried Morrowind, which I still have not completed, partly because I have more fun modding and hacking it than I do actually playing it.

I will probably try and get a desktop specifically for gaming eventually. Oblivion has received a lot of criticism but I find it pointless to judge a game I haven't played, and I suppose the same goes for FO3. Meh. I suppose I can feel a little fortunate in knowing that I can enjoy a good FPS romp now and then.
Gothmog
Marshall

Post by Gothmog »

This little information says it all... :lol:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/ ... vkzAnT.php
"FUL IR"
Fleisch
Marshall

Bloody Mess indeed.

Post by Fleisch »

This little information says it all... Laughing

http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/static/ ... vkzAnT.php
Yes, it does. Thanks for the link, Now I don't have to worry about buying Fallout 3 anymore (not that I had been inclined based on the PR thus far, but I did still have some clinging sentiment for the past). "It's just so meaningless; no gameplay purpose whatsoever....It's just genius on every level." Wow, that's certainly worth bragging about -- pointless over-the-top gore -- definitely what we all look for in a role-playing game. :roll:

Just reading it was practically enough to make my head explode.

What next? Press a button to make the characters have giant bobble-heads?
screeg
Marshall

Post by screeg »

Anyone else see the projected play time for FO3? 20 hours, main plot, 20 hours side quests.

I logged 200 hours on one character in Oblivion (with some heavy mods to make the game fun and challenging), without pursuing the main plot at all because I just didn't like the black and red hellscapes with the lava and the giant black thorns. Really original, that.

Anyhoo, 20 hours to complete the game start to finish? Does anyone else smell downloadable content? And a lot of it?

I think that's where the real money will be made.
Cyclopean - an HP Lovecraft inspired Role-Playing Game
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Well, Fallout was less than 20 hours, so I don't see much of a problem with the proposed 20 hours worth of gametime. That actually suits me quite well, I find long games are just crammed with filler, and I get bored with run arounds that are glaringly obvious time-wasters.

I'm sure there will be lots of downloadable pay-to-play content however.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Fleisch
Marshall

Post by Fleisch »

RPG Codex quoting multiple previews on the nature of Fallout 3:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=153

Sad direction for a great franchise (well, unless you're a first-person shooter fan, but don't we have enough of those? Leave my poor RPGs alone. Uncoordinated folks need games too, and in the end working my brain will benefit me a lot more than working my thumb.)

I am more urgently than ever in need of a real RPG. Go, Eschalon!
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Eh eh eh.
BethSoft's thinking about money and profit.
Why abandon the good gold mine (Oblivion)?
Let make another useless rpg in the same way.....
AAAAWWW! I called Oblivion an RPG!
But it was only an XBOX 360 empty game, a fantasy FPS with a lot of quests. And I bypass the item/level scaling system......
Now I fear we'll have the same results for FO3 too. They talk about improved level scaling (....improved?), first person shooting/eploration, VATS... (this seems to me a really smart way to try to get the money from FPS fans and RPG fans.... I hate hybrid messes born to gain money and not to implement something new).
What I found and read on the net makes me think this game will be really distant from its predecessors. I'll patiently wait and see what Beth will produce, but I was really disappointed by Oblivion (sold on eBay after 1 week) and I'll think twice before I buy another Bethesda game.
furor vincit omnia
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

gragnak wrote:Eh eh eh.
BethSoft's thinking about money and profit.
Why abandon the good gold mine (Oblivion)?
Let make another useless rpg in the same way.....
AAAAWWW! I called Oblivion an RPG!
But it was only an XBOX 360 empty game, a fantasy FPS with a lot of quests. And I bypass the item/level scaling system......
Now I fear we'll have the same results for FO3 too. They talk about improved level scaling (....improved?), first person shooting/eploration, VATS... (this seems to me a really smart way to try to get the money from FPS fans and RPG fans.... I hate hybrid messes born to gain money and not to implement something new).
What I found and read on the net makes me think this game will be really distant from its predecessors. I'll patiently wait and see what Beth will produce, but I was really disappointed by Oblivion (sold on eBay after 1 week) and I'll think twice before I buy another Bethesda game.
Yea the level scaling I just heard about yesterday. I was on the fence about even trying to play F3 from what I had heard, If i did would be an ebay purchase for 25$ of less....however now that I hear level scaling is returning at all, I think that might close the door on it permanently.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

I'm writing off FO3 for now. I can't run it and I'm certainly not going to spend the money to get a machine capable of running it. Maybe in a few years, when it's been extensively modded I'll take another look at it (and maybe someone will make a mod like Oldblivion for FO3) but until then, it's no longer of much interest.
It looks kinda fun, and it may be Fallout-esque, but right now I'm not so sure it's going to be Fallout. My mind has been all over the place on the game, but I think I've settled into a state of centented apathy over it.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Re: Fallout 3

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Fallout 3 hits the streets today. Anyone planning on picking it up? I think I probably will, based on the good reviews it getting. Yeah, it's Oblivion with guns, but that still sounds like it could be fun. :D
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

I preordered it, yea it might not be "Fallout" and just Oblivion with guns. But I'm like super ok with Oblivion with guns. Someone do my homework.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

I might get it. Im gonna read some more user impressions though because it looks more like a shooter to me.

Be careful with mainstream reviews though, they are basically just paid advertisements.

I love the fallout setting though.
macdude22
Council Member

Post by macdude22 »

I liked Oblivion so post apocalyptic guns blazin Oblivion is ok with me too. Mind you I'm not real cool with the Fallout 3 name, this decidedly is not Fallout 3 in my mind. Really awesome game set in the Fallout universe yes, Fallout 3, no.