Siege of Avalon

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Siege of Avalon

Post by Saxon1974 »

Anyone play this game? I thought I would give it a try since its pretty cheap to get it on ebay. Sounds interesting....

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/siege-of-avalon
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

I have never heard of that game, but it looks really good! If you get it, let us know how it is, I'm really intrigued..
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Gallifrey wrote:I have never heard of that game, but it looks really good! If you get it, let us know how it is, I'm really intrigued..
Bought it on ebay, so once I play it I will let you know. It looks alot like the type of game I love, lots of story.....real time combat though, but oh well...

I remember seeing it along time ago, but dont remember why I didnt buy it. Its a small game studio which is why you have not heard of it. If it doesnt come from an uber studio that spends tons of money on PR many people never find out. I hate that.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Bought the game for pretty cheap and started playing it.

I have to say im pretty impressed by it. Its got a diablo'ish look to the graphics and combat, but its got way more story to it.

There is no voice acting and everthing is read, which I like because voice acting is usually horrible. Story is decent so far as well.

I really like the look of the graphics and the lighting in this game.

Seems a bit linear so far since you start in a besieged keep and take orders from a commander, so at this point its just been get orders and carry them out. Haven't seen any choice or consequences yet, but Im not very far into it, maybe there will be some later. I hope so.

I am enjoying it quite a bit actually so far.

Only gripes so far are:

1- the environment is not very interactive, you cant open very many chests, dressers etc.....

2- You can move the camera, it only moves with your character, this annoys me a little for some reason, its not that bat though.

3- Looks like a linear game at this point, but im hoping it will branch out later, although I doubt it.

Its way too early to tell alot about it yet, but im definitely thinking its well worth a 10$ pickup at this point.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Downloading now the first chapter.
The 1st is free and I'll use it to understand if it's good enough to spend money on the rest of the game.

Short review coming soon.
furor vincit omnia
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Seems like a couple of minor bugs, but then again it could by my graphics settings causing the issues.

1) Once in a while when I load a game the ground grid is all highlighted purple. Reloading seems to fix it.
2) My inventory messes up my mouse where I can mouse off the screen and over the status bars. Pushing I to open the inventory seems to fix it though.

These are pretty minor though and dont stop my playing.

The first chapter area could use more interesting things in it, its nicely drawn, but seems to have just a bunch of random creatures to fight.

Will post more as I play more.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

I think I have played ebough to realize what this game is about basically.

Its a nice looking, story driven novel (which is what it advertises itself as). I love reading dialog and a good story so this appealed to me, however its very weak on some core RPG aspects for me.

You dont have any choices during dialog, you just click each question until you are done clicking and dialog ends. You never have an option to choose what you want to say, or if you want to help someone or not, its forced every time. So, your forced to play through the novel and slog through the levels in order pretty much the whole way.

The combat Is not so great either, it get difficult once you start getting attacked by multiple enemies, with it being real time its a chaotic clickfest as you would probably expect. I am continously amazed at all the games that are real time now, I just dont get this decision as I think turn based works much better for strategy.

So, Its a pretty well written nice story driven game that is entertaining, but its lacks quite a bit of RPG elements like choice and consequence and free exploration. There are stats however, so I guess thats what makes it an RPG.

Its pretty fun, but not great by any means. I really like the graphics and atmosphere and this game should have been so much more.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents.
Gallifrey
Officer [Bronze Rank]
Officer [Bronze Rank]

Post by Gallifrey »

Saxon1974 wrote: You dont have any choices during dialog, you just click each question until you are done clicking and dialog ends. You never have an option to choose what you want to say, or if you want to help someone or not, its forced every time. So, your forced to play through the novel and slog through the levels in order pretty much the whole way.
Hmm. That's disappointing. Telling a story like that is more suited to an FPS type of game rather than a full-on RPG.
I don't like when games do that, it makes me feel that, as the player, I'm only taking part in half the story or adventure.
I am continously amazed at all the games that are real time now, I just dont get this decision as I think turn based works much better for strategy.
I wonder this every time I take a look at a game that catches my interest. I think the answer is simply that real-time (potentially) sells more than turn-based, unfortunately.
So, Its a pretty well written nice story driven game that is entertaining, but its lacks quite a bit of RPG elements like choice and consequence and free exploration. There are stats however, so I guess thats what makes it an RPG.

Its pretty fun, but not great by any means. I really like the graphics and atmosphere and this game should have been so much more.
Ah well. But I know this feeling.. I'm in kind of a rut of gaming, there's so much potential out there and very little manages to live up to what's suggested. I'm pretty much continually disappointed.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning. And the sea's asleep and the rivers dream … People made of smoke and cities made of song … Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Gallifrey wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote: You dont have any choices during dialog, you just click each question until you are done clicking and dialog ends. You never have an option to choose what you want to say, or if you want to help someone or not, its forced every time. So, your forced to play through the novel and slog through the levels in order pretty much the whole way.
Hmm. That's disappointing. Telling a story like that is more suited to an FPS type of game rather than a full-on RPG.
I don't like when games do that, it makes me feel that, as the player, I'm only taking part in half the story or adventure.
I am continously amazed at all the games that are real time now, I just dont get this decision as I think turn based works much better for strategy.
I wonder this every time I take a look at a game that catches my interest. I think the answer is simply that real-time (potentially) sells more than turn-based, unfortunately.

Ah well. But I know this feeling.. I'm in kind of a rut of gaming, there's so much potential out there and very little manages to live up to what's suggested. I'm pretty much continually disappointed.

You and me both Gallifrey, I think I have been dissapointed in RPG's for about 10 years now. I guess the last 2 that I like were in 2001, Wizardry 8 and Arcanum. So nothing good in 6 almost seven years.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Re: Siege of Avalon

Post by Dragonlady »

Thanks for the run down. I hate endless hacking and being over whelmed by enemy games. My son went to Fry's today and picked up 4 computer games, 1 for Mac called Tradewinds:Legends, and 3 for the PC, which I'll play on my Mac laptop. One of which was Siege of Avalon..got it for $10. I'll see how it goes but I'm fairly sure I'll quit after a while, The other 2 PC games were: Sacred and something called "Patrician III: Rise of the Hanse". those were $10 too.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Re: Siege of Avalon

Post by Saxon1974 »

Siege of Avalon is one of those games that when you start and read through the intro and start in the Castle you think "wow, this is gonna be cool", but the more you play the more you realize its a forced linear game and its just gets boring after a while. I didn't get that far into it for that reason, so if you play and think that it does get better let me know and I might retry it.

I am currently playing Divine Divinity which is a similar isometric style, but is much better I think.