Noob Arrow problem

Ask questions, share hints or chat in general about Eschalon: Book I.
sillek
Apprentice

Re: Noob Arrow problem

Post by sillek »

Hmm... he never said that running to Bordertown before getting the amulet was against the rules. And I believe you can get Cat's Eye potion in Aridell. Also, in the amulet dungeon, there are torches on the walls that you can lead enemies to.
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Painted Lady wrote:Re: playing exclusively as a ranger. How in the world do you manage the early basements? You can't buy Predator Sight until you get to Bordertown. That leaves three basements where you are going to be shooting arrows in the dark......
I'm playing a Ranger right now, and I bought 2 Predator Sight potions in Aridell. I have not yet been to Bordertown, Grimmhold, or the Salted Coast. It's still pretty early in the game for me - I've only finished the blacksmith's cellar and the Eversleep Cemetery crypt.

Playing a ranger has been pretty easy compared to the mage. I pumped all the skill points I could into Bows, and I also started with light armor, short melee weapons, and pick locks. The remaining skill points went into short melee weapons. I used a dagger almost exclusively until I hit experience level 2. Now I'm using the Bow almost exclusively. My inventory is a lot lighter than fighter or mage - just a few healing potions, 2 predator sight potions, 2 invisibility potions, and 300 arrows. Oh, and about 20 torches. And I've still got 100 GP in my wallet.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

But, you are not exclusively a bow and arrow guy. That is the one character I can't seem to wrap my arms around.............
MyGameCompany
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by MyGameCompany »

Painted Lady wrote:But, you are not exclusively a bow and arrow guy. That is the one character I can't seem to wrap my arms around.............
True. I was mainly pointing out that Predator Sight potions were available to me earlier than Bordertown.

The rest was just detailing how I was playing the character. But you're right - I didn't start exclusively as a ranger. I discovered I needed some other skill to jump start it. The bow alone isn't enough at the very beginning. Once you've collected a little money, it's smooth sailing from there.
Troy
Former indie game developer
Check out my Book III mods: The Mystery of Rockhammer Mine and Expedition into West Mirkland
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

I have started wondering - has anyone ever completed the game as a ranger with no other offensive skills? I guess that would eliminate Fire Dart, Flesh Boil, etc. as well.