Classic Amiga RPG's

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Good post Pasquall, intesting stuff. I am going to have to try a couple of those.

I think Black Crypt and Knightmare look interesting, I wonder if they have automap features? As much as I loved the EOB series games, I have a hard time playing them now due to no auto map feature, the mazes frustrate me a bit:)
queamin
Initiate

Post by queamin »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Captive? Hell yeah. That was a great game and very inspirational. Although its influences are not visible in Eschalon, I can definitely say it scores very high on my inspirational RPG list.
Never finished captive not sure how many lvl's it was loved it, finished Dm and EoTB1 and 2
queamin
Initiate

Post by queamin »

Going way back to the zx spectrum, what would you class the hobbit as really, i use to get killed in the forest or thrown into the red or yellow dungeon about all i can remember.
Jamie
Pledge

Post by Jamie »

To BasiliskWrangler:

Good to see that Captive was/is a spiritual
inspiration for Eschalon (if I understood
you correctly).

What about Liberation ("Captive 2")?
Anyone play that one? I bought it for
my Amiga CD32 (yes, I bought into that
platform) but don't recall playing it
much.

To the other posters:

Also, yes, Darkmere! I did play that one
for a bit until my Amiga died :(

Never did play Crystal Dragon. I remember
seeing an ad for it? Maybe a splash in the
old Amiga magazine?

Anyway.
Yeah.
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

Saxon1974 wrote:Good post Pasquall, intesting stuff. I am going to have to try a couple of those.

I think Black Crypt and Knightmare look interesting, I wonder if they have automap features? As much as I loved the EOB series games, I have a hard time playing them now due to no auto map feature, the mazes frustrate me a bit:)
That was long ago, but I seem to recall they don't have an automap.
Funny you're saying this, because I intend to replay EOB3 very soon, and I don't want to lose too much time mapping, too. That's why I downloaded the maps, and I will be using them (of course with no other detail on them). It obviously spoils secret doors, but no much else.
It's even easier for black crypt since I have the budget "platinum edition", which has the cluebook inside :D
I just checked, and the cluebook/manual can be found at replacementdocs.com in the "downloads" and "amiga" section.
Have fun !
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

PaSquall wrote:
Saxon1974 wrote:Good post Pasquall, intesting stuff. I am going to have to try a couple of those.

That was long ago, but I seem to recall they don't have an automap.
Funny you're saying this, because I intend to replay EOB3 very soon, and I don't want to lose too much time mapping, too. That's why I downloaded the maps, and I will be using them (of course with no other detail on them). It obviously spoils secret doors, but no much else.
It's even easier for black crypt since I have the budget "platinum edition", which has the cluebook inside :D
I just checked, and the cluebook/manual can be found at replacementdocs.com in the "downloads" and "amiga" section.
Have fun !
Yea I am doing that with Bard's Tale II right now, still would rather have an automap than using a clue book but oh well its at least playable that way. Played this game tons as a kid and only remember bits and pieces of it.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Anyone knows where can I download the free windows port of Black Crypt made by Rick Johnson?
I'd like to play this game but it seems impossible to find it on the net (demo apart).

Please let me know.

Thanks
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

According to this:

http://www.petitiononline.com/bcrypt/

There never was a full game, just the demo.
gragnak
Senior Steward

Post by gragnak »

Yes.
I subscribed the petition.
But on official ravensoftware.com I found a news thread talking about e test version of Black Crypt ported on Windows Xp by Johnson.
The link posted doesn't work.

Thanks anyway.

Looking for this old game, I found a version for windows of Dungeon Master I, II, and expansion.

Here's the link: http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC

I'll replay them.
furor vincit omnia
queamin
Initiate

Post by queamin »

What about Liberation ("Captive 2")?
Anyone play that one? I bought it for
my Amiga CD32 (yes, I bought into that
platform) but don't recall playing it
much.
I did and liked it and i had a cd32 :shock:.
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

Hey, I still have a CD32 gathering dust somewhere. Great console at the time, but lack of support. So few good games...
Grue
Steward

Post by Grue »

How hard is it to get this WinUAE running? I remember trying some Amiga emulator years ago (can't remember which), but I never - even after much gnashing of teeth and hair-pulling - got it to work. I'm not looking forward to revisiting that episode.

After reading comments about the troubles of getting this emulator running, I'm feeling wary. Even as much as I love some old Amiga games (I had an Amiga 500), if I don't want to spend hours fiddling with the emulator, should I even try it? Is it possible to get it running without a degree in computer technology?

Also, looking at the file sizes on those d/l sites, they look dubious (e.g. 93 kb for Ultima 6). Sure, it was long time ago, but they cannot be that small.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Grue wrote:How hard is it to get this WinUAE running? I remember trying some Amiga emulator years ago (can't remember which), but I never - even after much gnashing of teeth and hair-pulling - got it to work. I'm not looking forward to revisiting that episode.

After reading comments about the troubles of getting this emulator running, I'm feeling wary. Even as much as I love some old Amiga games (I had an Amiga 500), if I don't want to spend hours fiddling with the emulator, should I even try it? Is it possible to get it running without a degree in computer technology?

Also, looking at the file sizes on those d/l sites, they look dubious (e.g. 93 kb for Ultima 6). Sure, it was long time ago, but they cannot be that small.
It's very easy. The one problem is you need the amiga ROM files to get it to run, and they aren't free. I searched the net for free ones and couldnt find them so had to buy them from amigaforever for 29.99. I only did it because there is a rather large list of games I want to play and the amiga versions are usually better than the IBM ones in graphics and especially the music so it was worth it for me.

As far as getting it to work, I didnt have much trouble and feel free to post any questions you might have if you decided to use it.
PaSquall
Steward

Post by PaSquall »

Grue wrote:How hard is it to get this WinUAE running? I remember trying some Amiga emulator years ago (can't remember which), but I never - even after much gnashing of teeth and hair-pulling - got it to work. I'm not looking forward to revisiting that episode.

Oh, you should be able to run it, I didn't try for some time now but it's far better than what it was some years ago. Some amiga games are still awesome, try it !
Get the latest WinUAE
There is a front end called lemonade : it helps quite a lot
http://www.lemonamiga.com/
The kickstart roms are not that difficult to find on the net. You can also buy them if you wish (see Saxon's post).
93 kb is too small for Ultima 6. IIRC it's more a zip file of 2 Megs IIRC.
And yes, ask questions, we'll try to answer (as much as we can :wink: )
Saxon1974
Officer [Platinum Rank]
Officer [Platinum Rank]

Post by Saxon1974 »

Well apparently I am not the authority.

I downloaded a few games and none of them work. They get to the title screen and then go to a blue or orange screen and just freeze up.

The only one I can get to work is Bard's Tale II.

I got these games from this link and none work

http://www.thegamearchives.com/?val=0_2 ... 17_0_2_0_0

black crypt
knightmare
fate
times of lore (This loads but mouse won't work)
chaos strikes back

Kind of funny that only the first game I used worked.

Any thoughts on this? I have played with different configurations with a few of them to no avail.