Cartography book easter egg

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
Wester Egg
Initiate

Cartography book easter egg

Post by Wester Egg »

So I found this Cartography book called "Trough the lost realms". The book tells the story of a young boy who got lost in the woods and when he finally finds his way back home, he realizes that there are some strange people living in his house instead of his parents.

He returns back to the woods and encounters some fantastic ship with "sentient spirit" as its captain. The ship is capable of doing tricks such as altering its shape and flying in the skies, and the boy becomes the member of its crew in order to find out what has happened and how it can be undone.

This is the plot of famous Walt Disney movie "Flight of the navigator"! It was among my favourite sci-fi movies since I saw it at the age of 7 and untill I saw it again at the age of 27 =)

Sadly, when you're 27 the movie does not look as great as it used to at the age of 7. But I still have very warm memories about it. A lot of thanks to Basilisk Wrangler. Really-really nice easter egg ))
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Re: Cartography book easter egg

Post by CrazyBernie »

Well now I'm glad I wasn't the only one who enjoyed that movie as a kid. ;)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thanks Wester Egg! CrazyBernie wrote most (all?) of the Skill books for us this time. So thanks to CB for his creative and humorous touches to the game.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Well there's a rumor that the meditation book is missing... that would make all of them... of course there were some edits made on BW's part to better finish/fit a couple. :mrgreen:

There's at least two more books with the odd movie/tv reference... ;)
Wester Egg
Initiate

Post by Wester Egg »

Thanks CrazyBernie! Good job!

I'm looking forward to find these other books )
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

I wrote all of the skill books, the player's last journal entry, and a few area descriptions. I used as much humor as BW would let me... :mrgreen:
Buckets
Council Member

Post by Buckets »

Great work CrazyBernie! I've enjoyed all the writings tremendously, especially the one for elemental magic. A real pleasure. :D
Last edited by Buckets on May 26th, 2010, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hexhammer
Apprentice

Post by Hexhammer »

Ok, it is you Bernie who to blame about this. Damn, nice touch with the skillbooks, these stories makes them so much fun to read. :D
Krafen
Council Member

Post by Krafen »

Nicely done. All the books I have read so far have been quite entertaining.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

Thanks everyone... I appreciate being appreciated. :mrgreen:

For my next trick.... ! Hmmm... I'll get back to you on that one. 0_o Maybe I should crack the whip on that fan fiction!
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

i must say i wasn't surprised when i heard you are the one who wrote the skill books cause i remember the time when you usd to write those stories about EB1 and they were really great good work CB
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Until this topic I wasn't all that aware of the existence of skill books in the game.
I believe I encountered two, though: this cartography book and the Alchemist's field guide.
But now the question: Zulben's guide to light armour materials never raised my light armour skill. I thought it was merely in the game for flavour, but if those other books raise your skill level, why doesn't Zulben do the same? If it was a bug then other players would have reported this already, me thinks.
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

THe book (Zulben's guide to light armour materials) is only there to help you when purchasing armour at first i thought it's a skill book to but once i read it, it clearly tells of the best materials for armor (from the worst to the best)
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Zulben's guide and the corresponding one on Metallurgy are there to help players understand the different types of materials for light and heavy armor, and weapons. Not everything is there to raise skills.
CrazyBernie
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by CrazyBernie »

SuPeR RaPPeR wrote:i must say i wasn't surprised when i heard you are the one who wrote the skill books cause i remember the time when you usd to write those stories about EB1 and they were really great good work CB
Used to?? Dang, I know I've been slacking, but I just put out a piece the day before Book II launched! 0_o I do need to get Lewis moving along... he's certainly been taking his sweet time adventuring through Book I. :roll:
KillingMoon wrote:Until this topic I wasn't all that aware of the existence of skill books in the game.
I believe I encountered two, though: this cartography book and the Alchemist's field guide.
But now the question: Zulben's guide to light armour materials never raised my light armour skill. I thought it was merely in the game for flavour, but if those other books raise your skill level, why doesn't Zulben do the same? If it was a bug then other players would have reported this already, me thinks.
As Randomizer/SupRap mentioned, Zulben's guide is literally what it's title says. It's there to help you make informed decisions when buying pieces of armor or deciding which ones to keep. The further you go down the list, the stronger and more durable the materials become (and heavier, and more expensive... :? ). There is an actual skill book to raise your light armor skill... you just need to get lucky and find it. :wink: