Trapped in hammerlorne?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
omgtifb
Apprentice

Trapped in hammerlorne?

Post by omgtifb »

In Talushorn, there's a place with two adjacent teleporters which take you to the same place, that other level (3? 4?) that requires the powder keg to advance through. I've been all through that, and the next level, found the bell, and found the exit teleporter... which took me back to the room next to the two teleporters. Problem being, the way out is blocked by 3 closed portcullises which are controlled by three levers on the other side... all i can do it go back through the teleporters. What do I do? I seem to be trapped.
Last edited by omgtifb on July 22nd, 2010, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Trapped in talushorn?

Post by xolotl »

Do you mean Hammerlorne? Could you maybe post some screenshots? The place with all the teleporters and the bell is in Hammerlorne, but the bit where you need to use a keg to actually advance is in Talusorn... The three-portcullis area I remember is also from Hammerlorne too...

Anyway, a screenshot or two would help clear this up. :)
omgtifb
Apprentice

Post by omgtifb »

Oops, sorry, it's the dwarven mine. Whichever one that is.

See below for the trapped state of my character.
Attachments
mine.jpg
mine.jpg (132.57 KiB) Viewed 5761 times
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

What version are you playing? This was fixed in version 1.04.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

Heh, no problem, thanks... What version are you playing btw? The Steam version? I believe that the 1.04 update made it so that it was impossible to accidentally lock yourself in there (someone else reported that happening after having closed the portcullises behind him on the way through, by throwing stuff through the gap at the switches). If you're on Steam, I think that's still 1.03, which would probably let you get trapped like that.

I think that the easiest fix may be to just use my character editor on your savefile slot - it says that changing the X/Y coords won't affect your actual position, but apparently it does. You could use that to change your character to on the other side. (Be sure to make a backup of that save slot first, though.)

Alternatively, BasiliskWrangler may be able to edit your savegame so that the portcullises are open.
omgtifb
Apprentice

Post by omgtifb »

turns out i'm playing 1.03. I updated to 1.04 now but I think the damage has been done.

I should use a save file editor? xolotl you made one? Is there a link? THanks very much for your help.
omgtifb
Apprentice

Post by omgtifb »

also note in teh above screenshot that the map isn't filled in for that level - that seems to be another bug, since i did enter that way to begin with. When i take the teleporter to the next level, that isn't filled in either, though I've cleared it.
hakbart
Apprentice

Post by hakbart »

does this mean i actually have to wait for steam upgrading my game to be able continue playing ?- my game is still 1.03 - so i wont get pass that place... :(
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

omgtifb wrote:I should use a save file editor? xolotl you made one? Is there a link? THanks very much for your help.
You could give it a try, anyway: http://apocalyptech.com/eschalon/

As I say, be sure to make a backup of the savegame slot you're editing beforehand (just zipping up the slot should do), just in case something funky happens. If you don't use separate save slots as you go, it may make sense to save it to another slot first and then edit that one.
hakbart wrote:does this mean i actually have to wait for steam upgrading my game to be able continue playing ?- my game is still 1.03 - so i wont get pass that place... :(
Most people don't run into that problem - the one time previously where somebody brought this up, he had been manually closing doors behind him as he went, and then realized on the way back that he had locked himself in. I'm not sure if something similar happened here, but AFAIK it's a somewhat rare situation.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

hakbart wrote:does this mean i actually have to wait for steam upgrading my game to be able continue playing ?- my game is still 1.03 - so i wont get pass that place... :(
You should have no trouble getting through there. Just don't shoot the levers to close the gate behind you on the way in.

It actually looks like omgtifb had a different kind of fault, wherein the maps got reset (since he lost his minimap of the level, as well). That's happened to a few people in places for no reason anyone has figured out as far as I know. It could be a file corruption problem--not something you're going to worry about when playing.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Could someone please retitle this thread "Trapped in Hammerlorne" so that it accurately reflects its topic? Thanks!
omgtifb
Apprentice

Re: Trapped in hammerlorne?

Post by omgtifb »

I never shot any levers or did anything strange.

What I did accidentally once was have two instances of the game running at the same time, both playing the same character in hammerlorne. As a wild guess, this may have produced some oddities.

Upon startup, the application should check for whether an instance is already running, and if so, just activate that instance rather than run a new one.
omgtifb
Apprentice

Post by omgtifb »

xolotl, your character editor was able to teleport me past the gates. Thanks for your help. That's a nice utility, well done.
omgtifb
Apprentice

Post by omgtifb »

It appears that every single one of my maps was reset.

Don't think I'm going to continue playing. We'll see.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

omgtifb wrote:It appears that every single one of my maps was reset.

Don't think I'm going to continue playing. We'll see.
Do you have more than one save file somewhere close together, there? If you've closed both instances, check a different save file if possible. You may have lost some progress, but not have everything reset (although, you could really get to a high level going out and killing all that stuff all over again).
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.