Trapped in hammerlorne?

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
omgtifb
Apprentice

Re: Trapped in hammerlorne?

Post by omgtifb »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
omgtifb wrote:It appears that every single one of my maps was reset.

Don't think I'm going to continue playing. We'll see.
Do you have more than one save file somewhere close together, there? If you've closed both instances, check a different save file if possible. You may have lost some progress, but not have everything reset (although, you could really get to a high level going out and killing all that stuff all over again).
As a compromise between true "iron-man" mode of permanent death and a more traditional save/load-as-time-machine approach, I tend to use only one save file slot in games like this.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Jedi_Learner wrote:I'm genuinely curious as to how you mixed up Hammerlorne with Talushorn. :P
Myself? I actually find it pretty easy to do... :oops: :roll: :wink:
omgtifb
Apprentice

Post by omgtifb »

Jedi_Learner wrote:I'm genuinely curious as to how you mixed up Hammerlorne with Talushorn. :P
It might be that they both end with the sound -orn. I'm genuinely curious about why you're genuinely curious about what is obviously a mistake between two similar sounding names.

I haven't even gotten to talushorn in-game yet, but saw the name in many forum threads. That's how it got rattling around in my head.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

omgtifb wrote:What I did accidentally once was have two instances of the game running at the same time, both playing the same character in hammerlorne. As a wild guess, this may have produced some oddities.
Ah yeah, I would recommend Not Doing That. :) As I discovered with an earlier version of my editor, Windows directory locking can often be problematic, and it's not too surprising that having two instances of the game open at once would have caused some problems.

Glad my util was able to help, though! Hope you get back into the game despite the savefile munging.
Upon startup, the application should check for whether an instance is already running, and if so, just activate that instance rather than run a new one.
Yeah, would probably be ideal if it had some locking mechanism to prevent more than one instance.
omgtifb
Apprentice

Post by omgtifb »

xolotl wrote: Yeah, would probably be ideal if it had some locking mechanism to prevent more than one instance.
yes, this is standard practice for applications that are not designed for more than one instance at once, such as games. It is very easy to do.