List of recipes and reagents.

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: List of recipes and reagents.

Post by IJBall »

Rowanas wrote:It's not. It's definitely out there, since I had the recipe for a potion of restoration at the end of my last game, but never bought it.
Really?! Do you remember where you found it?

I've never set eyes on it!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Some recipes are very rare. A few I only saw on Picaroon Isle from the merchant.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

IJBall wrote:
Rowanas wrote:It's not. It's definitely out there, since I had the recipe for a potion of restoration at the end of my last game, but never bought it.
Really?! Do you remember where you found it?

I've never set eyes on it!

Unfortunately I can't recall where, sorry. I only realised after looking at a list after my last playthrough that I completely missed 7 skillbooks. Never even knew they existed.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by deathknight1728 »

Just wonderin, do you need to have any points in alchemy to mix potions, or do you have to have 1 or a few points?
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

deathknight1728 wrote:Just wonderin, do you need to have any points in alchemy to mix potions, or do you have to have 1 or a few points?
It depends on the potion. If you go to the "Links for the Perplexed" thread that's stickied above you'll find a link to the list of Alchemy levels required for various potions and effects.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Dragonlady
Illustrious
Illustrious

Post by Dragonlady »

deathknight1728 wrote:Just wonderin, do you need to have any points in alchemy to mix potions, or do you have to have 1 or a few points?
You have to have..I think(haven't tried!)..at least 1 skill point to do the lowest level potions.
You don't have to have the potions in the list on your computer once you've written them down somewhere. As long as you have the correct level of alchemy you can do the potions my manually putting ingredients in the slots.

Exception to having a level in alchemy is using alchemy slot to refill your lantern with oil and wick.
Sometimes the dragon wins...
Help save the earth. It's the only planet with CHOCOLATE!
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

Dragonlady wrote:Exception to having a level in alchemy is using alchemy slot to refill your lantern with oil and wick.
Given that my character can't identify rocks, dried meat, or the alchemy ingredients he just found, I wouldn't be surprised if he somehow managed to make the lantern explode while filling it up.
nomo
Initiate

Post by nomo »

do different reagents occur more in different locations?
i know you get ectoplasm from ghost type enemies etc etc but is there any more rules on this?

i'm really struggling for ambergris at the moment, i need to imbue all my latest gear! it seems that noone is selling it, and i've been to every vendor.

also i've tried camping out multiple times in different locations with my forage skill but i never get what i need!

thanks
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

I've never seen a change in foraging based in location.

P.S. The chance of finding Willowbark is far too low for something so basic and essential.
nomo
Initiate

Post by nomo »

you can occasionally buy willow bark, and forage for it often.
ambergris is the thing giving me the biggest problem.
i understand it is probably for balance, as at later stages in the game, when money is easier to come by, if all regs were freely buyable, you could simply create as many potions as you like...
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Ambergris is everywhere! I sell tons of ambergris already and I only have 7 foraging!

Willowbark is so rare as to make healing potions nonexistent outside of shops.
That being said, I've never seen a willow tree, so fair play.

Also, where am I getting this noximander venom from? Surely I would have to kill them to get at their venom, or perhaps I have a weightless, invisible pet noximander that I extract venom from. Why I brought it with me from Book 1 will perplex me till my life's end.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

It's all random and depends on your level. I haven't noticed any particular "locational" advantage, though I suppose it's possible. If so, ambergris should be most common in coastal areas (it's whale barf, afterall).
---

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:It's all random and depends on your level. I haven't noticed any particular "locational" advantage, though I suppose it's possible...
I don't think it is possible in Book II.

But I intend to ask BW if it might be possible going into Book III.

At the simplest level, it would be really cool if certain maps prevented you from Foraging certain items (e.g. no Willow Bark in dungeons, no Ectoplasm outside of dungeons, etc.).

Best-case scenario is that you could adjust the probabilities of finding all Foraged reagents by map, though I imagine that would be much harder and more complex from a coding standpoint...
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

IJBall wrote:
Kreador Freeaxe wrote:It's all random and depends on your level. I haven't noticed any particular "locational" advantage, though I suppose it's possible...
I don't think it is possible in Book II.

But I intend to ask BW if it might be possible going into Book III.

At the simplest level, it would be really cool if certain maps prevented you from Foraging certain items (e.g. no Willow Bark in dungeons, no Ectoplasm outside of dungeons, etc.).

Best-case scenario is that you could adjust the probabilities of finding all Foraged reagents by map, though I imagine that would be much harder and more complex from a coding standpoint...
I think best-case would be the ability to adjust by areas on the map. Like you'd also be likely to find Ectoplasm in graveyards, and as I noted above, Ambergris would be found along coastlines, but not likely in the middle of a big forest or dungeon. Some items, like spider webs, would be almost universal (there seem to be spiders all over Eschalon).
---

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
IJBall wrote:At the simplest level, it would be really cool if certain maps prevented you from Foraging certain items (e.g. no Willow Bark in dungeons, no Ectoplasm outside of dungeons, etc.).

I think best-case would be the ability to adjust by areas on the map. Like you'd also be likely to find Ectoplasm in graveyards, and as I noted above, Ambergris would be found along coastlines, but not likely in the middle of a big forest or dungeon. Some items, like spider webs, would be almost universal (there seem to be spiders all over Eschalon).
You're right - being able to adjust Foraging probabilities by grid (or by sets of, or types of, grids) would be even better. Of course, that'd be even more complicated from a game-engine/coding standpoint I'd imagine... ;)