Finished Book 2 as a Mage (spoilers)

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
MaximB
Senior Steward

Finished Book 2 as a Mage (spoilers)

Post by MaximB »

Yesterday I've finally finished book 2
It took me ~18 hours to do so including the "The Secret of Fathamurk" dungeon.
The stone golem was indeed the hardest boss, only because he can regenerate HP.
But general ghorr was pathetic when I fought him with my mage, the secret is to be faster then him (24 speed should do it) and then just shoot him with Ice Lance.
Off course if I have fought him with a close-combat warrior it would be so much harder.
The game is very easy if you choose the mage, it's a matter of using all your mana on enemies, walking away and resting - then repeat until they are dead (I haven't used the mandatory food/water consumption - but with the food/water spells I guess it wouldn't be so much harder).

The game world seems to be about the same size as book1, but without the goblins who were extinct by the bull people.
There are however a few questions :

1. After you find the fire relic and bring it to your guide you have the option to abandon the quest - but what will happen afterwards ? the game won't end, but you will have no goal - so how could you finish it then ?

2. In the end you were given 2 choices, but only one outcome - why you were given the choices then ?

3. It's pretty clear that the Orakur's are Aliens from other planet, why is it so "secret" and leaves many questions after the game ? for me it's clear as the sun.

4. I've visited the Zoological ruins again (new game and all) but still did not find anything worthy, the leaver is stuck and there was no other way I could find.

Overall the game is excellent considering the fact that it was done manly by one man, but some things still needs an improvement.

1. More towns, bigger towns.
2. Make all towns valid : after you are at mid-late game there is no point going back into the first towns are they have no interesting stuff to sell for your level.
3. If you choose an offensive mage - the game becomes very easy, same as in Book1.
4. Need more quests with different outcomes, not just kill X and return to me for a reward, something deeper.

P.S
At the end the P button for taking a screenshot doesn't seems to work on the Linux client at least.
Attachments
book2-finish-small.png
book2-finish-small.png (174.88 KiB) Viewed 10172 times
Viktoras
Marshall

Re: Finished Book 2 as a Mage (spoilers)

Post by Viktoras »

Zoological ruins: There are TWO levers...one is stuck...another is by a tree...pull that lever...it opens the path to a Bandit hideout.
Never trust a grinning DM!!
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

The stone golem is easy for a mage if you use a haste potion, fortify mana potion, use ice lances until you need mana potion III when you run low, and retreat once to avoid damage.
xolotl
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by xolotl »

MaximB wrote:3. It's pretty clear that the Orakur's are Aliens from other planet, why is it so "secret" and leaves many questions after the game ? for me it's clear as the sun.
BW has said numerous times that the actual truth about the Orakur is not so clear (with some pretty strong implications that they're not actually aliens). We'll just have to wait until Book 3 to find out what's actually up with them. :)
kenoxite
Apprentice

Post by kenoxite »

xolotl wrote:
MaximB wrote:3. It's pretty clear that the Orakur's are Aliens from other planet, why is it so "secret" and leaves many questions after the game ? for me it's clear as the sun.
BW has said numerous times that the actual truth about the Orakur is not so clear (with some pretty strong implications that they're not actually aliens). We'll just have to wait until Book 3 to find out what's actually up with them. :)
They're in fact humans... FROM THE FUTURE!

Or if you like Kubrick, they're robots... FROM THE FUTURE!
MaximB
Senior Steward

Post by MaximB »

kenoxite wrote:
xolotl wrote:
They're in fact humans... FROM THE FUTURE!

Or if you like Kubrick, they're robots... FROM THE FUTURE!
Do you know if for a fact ? ;) if you do it would be a one huge spoiler for book3 and our lives ...better start growing my head and eyes right now...lol :D

About the future, present and past - there are so many theories that there is no point in arguing, some even say there is no future and everything is present and happening at the same time (nice theory btw).
kenoxite
Apprentice

Post by kenoxite »

MaximB wrote: Do you know if for a fact ? ;) if you do it would be a one huge spoiler for book3 and our lives ...better start growing my head and eyes right now...lol :D

About the future, present and past - there are so many theories that there is no point in arguing, some even say there is no future and everything is present and happening at the same time (nice theory btw).
Nah, I was just (mostly) joking.

But... there's just so much you can do with the Orakur, and at the end of the day those are as valid theories as any other. They also could be magical elves... FROM THE FUTURE! So far there's been dwarfs and humans, but no pointy ears guys IIRC. Which is a bit odd (anyway, who likes elves? Not even elves themselves).

Although my real guess is that it'll be closer to the "ancient but technologically advanced race" you can find in most jRPGs.

Or...

Maybe mr. BasiliskWrangler likes good old J.H. Brennan (GrailQuest!) and gives us an homage to the "Faerie Wars" series. So the Orakur are in fact demons that look like grey aliens, and they're just tools used by an ancient demonic force that, in turn, are pulling the strings of our own personal hero(ine).
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

kenoxite wrote:
MaximB wrote: Do you know if for a fact ? ;) if you do it would be a one huge spoiler for book3 and our lives ...better start growing my head and eyes right now...lol :D

But... there's just so much you can do with the Orakur, and at the end of the day those are as valid theories as any other. They also could be magical elves... FROM THE FUTURE! So far there's been dwarfs and humans, but no pointy ears guys IIRC. Which is a bit odd (anyway, who likes elves? Not even elves themselves).

Although my real guess is that it'll be closer to the "ancient but technologically advanced race" you can find in most jRPGs.

Or...

Maybe mr. BasiliskWrangler likes good old J.H. Brennan (GrailQuest!) and gives us an homage to the "Faerie Wars" series. So the Orakur are in fact demons that look like grey aliens, and they're just tools used by an ancient demonic force that, in turn, are pulling the strings of our own personal hero(ine).
Yep. Right now the only evidence that the Orakur are aliens is the suspect word of the "captured" Orakur in Talushorn and the presence of apparent "computer terminals" that are really just locks to the doors, which make me think more than anything about the Slestaks from that old kids TV Show "Land of the Lost."
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
dot_sent
Initiate

Post by dot_sent »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:Yep. Right now the only evidence that the Orakur are aliens is the suspect word of the "captured" Orakur in Talushorn and the presence of apparent "computer terminals" that are really just locks to the doors, which make me think more than anything about the Slestaks from that old kids TV Show "Land of the Lost."
Don't forget Plasma Wand ;)
pixnaps
Pledge

Post by pixnaps »

MaximB wrote:2. In the end you were given 2 choices, but only one outcome - why you were given the choices then ?
I wondered this too. (And ditto with offensive mage being too easy.)
SpottedShroom
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by SpottedShroom »

pixnaps wrote:
MaximB wrote:2. In the end you were given 2 choices, but only one outcome - why you were given the choices then ?
I wondered this too. (And ditto with offensive mage being too easy.)
It might matter in Book III?
Asgard The Elder
Senior Steward

Post by Asgard The Elder »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:
kenoxite wrote:

Or...

Yep. Right now the only evidence that the Orakur are aliens is the suspect word of the "captured" Orakur in Talushorn and the presence of apparent "computer terminals" that are really just locks to the doors, which make me think more than anything about the Slestaks from that old kids TV Show "Land of the Lost."
Possibly BW Droped another hint in droped journal pages refering to Dwarves an resembling the Orakur?
The Wizard Works Wonders to Behold
Randomizer
Captain Magnate
Captain Magnate

Post by Randomizer »

Asgard The Elder wrote:Possibly BW Droped another hint in dropped journal pages refering to Dwarves an resembling the Orakur?
It wasn't that they resembled them physically, but that their runes were similar. Also both seem to be underground in their lifestyles.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

After Fathamurk, I think the Orakur are steampunk dwarves. ;-)
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Antigrav
Marshall

Post by Antigrav »

The dwarves are remnants of an ancient Thetan attempt to reawaken all beings to their true state. I think this is pretty clearly proven by the fact that only the dwarves appear as spiritual apparitions. The Orakur represent the KRC triangle, and the fact that character development is expressed in levels is yet another irrefutable sign that Eschalon is about a lot more than just the Book of Rai.

The One is, of course, Xenu.