The Age of Decadence

We're gamers in here! All platforms, any genre. Share with us your latest gaming obsession.
quasimodo
Marshall

Re: The Age of Decadence

Post by quasimodo »

Evnissyen wrote:Well... just got through playing the combat demo.

First impression:
I found that the game system made the character difficult to maneuver and attack with, and also that attack options were limited. (For example with a sword you could only slash, you could not stab or hack, and I tried a number of key combinations to see if they altered my attack strategies; they didn't.)

The attack mode seemed clumsy. With a sword you have to get in close to attack: understandable and reasonable; but it didn't always work when I clicked on my opponent with the attack icon (I think it was diamond-shaped). I guessed that clicking on the crossed-swords button below manipulates between parry and attack mode, but I'm still not sure if this was the case. I was killed by the guy with the crossbow (and I really shouldn't've been) because 1. I was too busy still trying to find alternate means of attack and also 2. the attack mode was seemingly too clumsy and so I don't think I was capable of getting my character to properly attack my opponent.

Take this all with a grain of salt: I'm not a highly experienced gamer.

Additionally, and this criticism has less to do with the actual combat scenario and strategies: I don't like the fact that they switched around the left and right keys: this was not correctable in the Options. The left key, in my experience, is traditionally for movement and the right is traditionally for other options, like speaking with people or attacking them; in AoD this was reversed.

Most annoying was that the camera rotation was not truly under my control.

Back to the combat: The dodging was good.

Also, the blue spaces (I assume to indicate the range of ranged attacks -- so far I only tried the sword) was very good.

I thought the combat was okay. Better than many, not the best it could be.

Again it should be accepted: I only tried the sword.

I will probably play the demo again, despite the fact that I'm not very interested in combat-only scenarios.

You might want to read the "read me" for the demo posted on the ITS website.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 208.0.html

There are many different attack options for the sword. Fast, normal, power, whirlwind, aimed heat, torso, arms, legs.

Try clicking on the picture of the weapon at the lower part of the screen to get a list of attacks. Each attack will have a differnt action point cost and percentage chance to hit.

The sword icon is not a choice of attack or parry it is the "end of turn" button. (the space bar does this as well). If you have 10 action points (AP) and you use 3 fast attacks at 3 AP each you will have 1 AP left and you will need to hit "end of turn". If you use 2 fast attacks (6 AP) and 1 normal attack (4AP) all 10 of your AP will be used up and your turn ends automatically.

The camera is zoomed with the mouse wheel and rotated by clicking the middle mouse button and moving the mouse.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Ah, cool. Thanks for the tips, Modo, and for the link.
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Goddamn it . . . when in the world is this game going to [finally] come out? :shock:

I mean, I can appreciate their trying to make this game as 'perfect' as possible, and I know that their choice of using the 3d mode means a lot more programming (and headaches) and thus lots and lots more time . . . and like I've said before, in all honesty I'd rather wait a long time for a great game than a short time for a mediocre game, but still . . . how many years has it been, so far?

When do I get to play AoD? It looks so interesting. Dammit, I wanna play it... , dammit, dammit.

Does anybody have any news? The site, so far as I explored it this morning, doesn't reveal much, in regard to how far along the development is.

Still, I did find this interesting "Press Update" on the site:

Age of Decadence: Journey Through Zamedi
Text: Welcome to the ruins of Zamedi. ... Originally, the only way to get inside was by joining House Aurelian and serving it faithfully. However, even though the tower is not a mandatory location (it's one of the ways to find out something else), I dislike when games tell me that there is only one way of doing something, so we tweaked it, adding two more ways to acquire the "key" either by stealth (insane amount of different checks in text adventure mode - only a master thief can pull it off) or combat (that's a purely hypothetical option because no dude is THAT bad).

Now, this distresses me. Does it mean that said key is either next-to-impossible to obtain or else immoral to obtain?

Are they overthinking this game? Is that part of why it's taking too long?

I never visit their forums, by the way, because it seems like it's filled with things like the devs providing new screenshots and then the users saying: "Looks awesome! Great job!!!"

...Like that's helpful to me.

(Maybe this is generally why I'm in the dark.)

Sorry to be critical. I just want to eventually get around to playing an indie game that looks quite good. I don't want to find out one day that Iron Tower has dissolved/disbanded and all production has stopped and no Age of Decadence or Cyclopean will ever exist. (That's another thing. Are they overextending themselves and is that why this is taking so long? Or is it just that they have different people working on each project who wouldn't've been involved in the other project anyhow? My guess is it's the latter, so I'll relax, and give our good friends a break.)
Certainty: a character-driven, literary, turn-based mini-CRPG in which Vasek, legendary "Wandering Philosopher", seeks certainties in a cryptically insular, organic, critically layered city.
Aldbeski
Marshall

Post by Aldbeski »

one question what is the website and where do i sign
P.s : excuse my bad English

Didn't reach my expectations (Eschalon Book 3)>> But Still, A Great Game nevertheless
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

Iron Tower Studios: Age of Decadence

There's a discussion on Cyclopean in the forums. I guess there's no official site for the project, yet?
Evnissyen
Captain
Captain

Post by Evnissyen »

...the hell??

When? ¿When?!!

...sigh... .
Oasisbhrnw
Initiate

Post by Oasisbhrnw »

RPS did an interview with the creator of the game recently:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/02 ... -d-weller/

They talk about the game, but also a lot about the state of RPGs today. It's an interesting read.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

That was a really interesting interview with the A of D lead developer. Vince definitely has a "take no prisoners" view of life. Although he is a little undiplomatic at times, I really agree with pretty much everything he said (references to old games I've never played being excluded).

Also thought the last comment about a probable release this fall for A of D was a nice teaser, but I'm not sure I'm going to hold my breath until then.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Um, this interview was published almost 3 years ago (Feb '08).

But it looks like AoD is still coming along nicely- they recently released a new video of the turn-based combat.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

Good thing I'm not holding my breath :!:
Sir Funk
Initiate

Post by Sir Funk »

This looks like a very interesting game and I'll definitely give it a shot when it comes out.

However that Vince guy comes off really badly in that interview. Very full of himself and confrontational. From what I hear he argues with people quite a bit in the forums. Not really the guy you want as a spokesman for your company, but I guess it makes me appreciate BW's pleasantness and sensibility even more now! :)
quasimodo
Marshall

Post by quasimodo »

Its just a different style. I like the way Vince does interviews and his approach to forum debate is pretty much the same. He is a "master of internet debate" if you know what I mean, but he also will take good advice when it is given.